British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Information on Orewa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/information-orewa-528758/)

Learningtree22 Apr 12th 2008 7:56 am

Information on Orewa

We are currently looking at moving to Orewa, or surrounding areas. Could anyone please elaborate on what it is like to live in this area, or other areas nearby (can be in land as well). We are a family of four, with two children aged 4 and 6. Schools are the most important factor, if anyone has any information on this I would be grateful.

What is the bus route like into Auckland CBD, as commuting option, or are there train route from a nearby area?:wub:

happynz Apr 12th 2008 8:06 am

Re: Information on Orewa

No trains from the North Shore or Hibiscus Coast, but there are buses and a ferry or two...

UKNZAUS Apr 12th 2008 7:07 pm

Hi :)

I'm living in Orewa and have been for the past 6 months - it's ace! There are 2 primary schools in the area that I know of - Red Beach & Orewa Primary. There is Silverdale school too in the surrounding area. Red Beach is zoned and we just made it in on the outskirts of Orewa, it's a fantastic school though and we've had no complaints - our 10 year old loves it!

Orewa is relatively flat with a gorgeous beach, parks, cool town centre, library, Dr's, dentists, plenty of restaurants, couple of pubs, a Kindergarten where my little one goes to, parks, reserves... I could go on!

Commuting down to the CBD I'm not sure of... possibly an hour?! My hubby commutes down to Albany (sort of a half way mark to the CBD) and it takes him 30 mins leaving at 8am. There is a park and ride bus station in Albany though - simply park up your car and jump on the bus :) Can't help with prices and time though sorry.

Can't think of anything else at the minute but if you do have any more questions, fire away :)

Michelle x

Learningtree22 Apr 12th 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Michelle,

Thanks very much for replying. Your notes were really useful. Is there a close community feel? How have you, and your children found fitting into this community? Have you got to know other mums easily, and has this been directly through the school, or have you found other channels? Do the schools over there teach phonics?

Questions, Questions I could go on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Fiona :thumbsup:

NZGrl Apr 12th 2008 7:30 pm

Hi there,

Ive been living in Orewa for 5 years and don't really like it very much. Lots of Kiwis laugh when I tell them I live in Orewa.They call it "Oldsville"...Most days trying to stay out of the way of old peoples scooters are a problem with hundreds moving around. Thats what makes it boring in my eyes. There not enough young (30-40 years) living here to make friends with. This New Years Eve we went out for a drink and either the places closed at about 8pm or they were closed all together!!!!!! The place SHOULD be rocking. Its a beautiful place. Lovely beach...etc etc but it makes you shake your head with disbelief how such a lovely place can be so boring.

The houses are overpriced for what they are with most houses made of matchsticks and cardboard the cheaper ones are smelly and damp and the half decent ones you have to be a lotto winner to be able to afford.

I have two kids (6 and 7) they go to an awesome school Orewa Primary..They used to go to Orewa North but thats crap...If you want to get info about schools look at the ERO reports. Orewa Primary rocks! Orewa College for the older kids does not have a great rep. Most people who I know are taking their kids out of the public school system and sending them to private school...With costs ranging from 5 grand a year to 20 grand per kid. But thats just because most High Schools round here don't have good reputations. In my job I work with hundreds of women per week so know a fair bit about this from what they have told me.

I used to work in Auckland but have not done so for a while. But in my experience it would take me from 30 minutes to 1 hour 30 mins to get into work depending on what time of day I left. If you can be flexible on times I would leave for work early and come home early. There is also a couple of new park and ride opions which Ive heard are really good. Mind you I think you need to get there early to ensure you get a spot.

If your kids are into sports theres a really nice playing field in Orewa and they play Football, Rugby and Touch Rugby there. Its run by a company called Sharks Sports and they also do a holiday programme for the kids during the school holidays...My hubbies business sponsors them.

If you need any more info please get in touch.

Cheers

lapsed kiwi Apr 12th 2008 8:13 pm

Here's my 2c worth after living here for 2.5 years:
- schools - as above, our kids aren't quite old enough yet but have heard manly good things from friends. Ours will be going to Orewa North because it's walking distance away
- beach - fantastic for swimming, safe for kids, good for windsurfing kiteboarding etc etc. And if you get bored with Orewa beach there are another dozen great ones within 20 min drive (we're big beach people and go 3-4 times per week in summer). Very active surf lifesaving club that starts kids activities at age 3 or 4. Also there is a sea scouts group which my boys will be going to when they're old enough
- parks - great. About 5-6 nice reserves that I know of, all with large grass areas and play equipment for the kids. Rarely busy except the main one by the beach on weekends
- shops - two supermarkets, we go to New World which is your standard kiwi medium-large supermarket. We can usually find everything we need there, although buy fruit & veg at the Veg Barn
- Houses - standard for NZ so if you have a thing about houses not being made of bricks or not having double glazing, you might not be happy. Cheaper by 10-20% than similar houses in comparable suburbs on the North Shore, and easier to find a place with a decent size section because there hasn't been so much sub-dividing. Price range from $350k for a very basic 2-bed place, through to $550k for a decent 3 bedroom newish place or $800k for a very nice 4-5 bed new house
- community - we have been quite slow to blend in but now have a decent circle of friends (mostly expats but not too bothered by that). Schools will always be a good social catalyst
- Commute - I drive into Devonport every day, leaving around 0710 and averaging 40-45 mins door to door. If you want to go to the CBD and leave by 0730, you can be parked at Albany station and on a bus within 15-20 minutes, and the bus ride into town is around 20-25 minutes now they've finished the bus expressway. If you need to go south of the CBD it's not such a good picture. Check out maxx.co.nz for timetables.
- Oldies - there are quite a few around. I've never had a problem with them and I'd rather have oldies for neighbours than hoons or bogans. There are loads of young families around too (hence the 4 primary schools in the immediate locality). Having young kids we don't get out much in the evenings so can't comment on the bar/pub/club scene but we have had some very nice nights out in some of the local restaurants (Joust and Rock Salt to mention 2)
In summary, we love it here. Having been brought up in the South Island I sometimes think it would be good to escape Auckland, but to be honest I struggle to think of anywhere I'd rather live. We're out of the city but within easy reach, have a great climate and a fantastic coastline

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 12th 2008 10:00 pm

Hi, Orewa reminds me of Eastbourne. Nice enough place but incredibly boring. Not a great place to live if a tsunami hits either :ohmy:. :D
The senior schools don't have a great reputation but there is Wentworth (private) at Gulf Harbour (20mins away).
Re: transport to the CBD - the drive to the CBD can be anything from 45mins to 90mins & very much depend on when you leave. I leave at 5.50am & arrive downtown at 6.35am. Will you have a parking space at work because CBD parking is expensive. I've never caught the bus but you do have to leave early to get a parking space! Typical poor planning by the kiwis :frown:.
Occasionally I get the ferry from Gulf Harbour to the CBD. There's free parking, 2 ferries morning & afternoon, check out www.360discovery.co.nz for times & cost.