Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Information on moving from Scottish to new Zealand high schools

Information on moving from Scottish to new Zealand high schools

Old Nov 26th 2015, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Nostrebor12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on moving from Scottish to new Zealand high schools

I am planning on relocating from Scotland to new Zealand with my family in the spring. I have three children who shall be aged two, 12 & 15. My question is basically about the education over in NZ in particular for the eldest. She should be starting 4th year in June here. When does the academic year start there and would she likely have to repeat a year etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 8:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on moving from Scottish to new Zealand high schools

Not sure what 4th year you are talking about but:

Primary here goes from the day of their 5th birthday and there are generally 8 years,(child age 13 to start) some schools are not full primary so you may have to move onto a intermediate for years 7 and 8. They then go onto college for years 9-13. (child age 17 to finish).

Because my eldest daughter 11 1/2 when we came over so had spent all her education in the UK system found NZ primary to fluid with not a lot of day to day structure, basically it was down to the weather, how the teacher felt, what teacher was in, how the class was behaving etc as to what they did that day. She got extremely bored very quickly and was missing the academic structure they have in the UK. We were fortunate enough to move her out of year 7 for the last term and into year 8 for 3 mths, basically so she could attend the leavers do, and on to college a year early, were she has blossomed. Now my son was just 6 when we came over so only been in UK education for a year and not being as academic as his sister (more into basketball) he has settled in ok.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

It's her 4th year of secondary school, our Scottish system likes to be different. We go from primary 1-7 then secondary 1-6
Old Nov 26th 2015, 10:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkijane88
It's her 4th year of secondary school, our Scottish system likes to be different. We go from primary 1-7 then secondary 1-6
ahh so year 12 here.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nostrebor12
I am planning on relocating from Scotland to new Zealand with my family in the spring. I have three children who shall be aged two, 12 & 15. My question is basically about the education over in NZ in particular for the eldest. She should be starting 4th year in June here. When does the academic year start there and would she likely have to repeat a year etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
we are in exactly the same situation as you our girls are 12 and 15 also, I have been speaking to the school over on NZ and it has relieved a lot of the guilt of moving just as the oldest is about to sit her GCSE’S, coming from the UK she will be 6 months ahead of NZ schools as their year 12 wouls start in Feb where ours would have started in the Sept before, sor the girls should fit in with no problem! Academically speaking that is!! I would advice you to take a look online at the schools that are availiable in the area your looking at moving to and contact them and ask the questions?