Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Info on Whangarei please

Info on Whangarei please

Old May 17th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice
Default Re: Info on Whangarei please

You probably know this anyway.....but Kamo is a small township north of Whangarei, approximately five minutes drive from the Whangarei CBD. Otangarei looks more south east of Kamo. You have Kamo East (if you carried on travelling in that direction you would come to Tikipunga). Kamo West - is where three mile bush road would take you out towards Ruatangata.
I am unsure how official it is to say whether these areas have been classed as suburbs, but they appear on the district Council Maps and you would search Kamo West as an individual surburb for property etc.....

I am sure someone who is a true local could enlighten us, as I have only been here 1 year and 2 months

Top Butcher by the way in Kamo!!!!!
Old May 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

And if you want to know a Kamo girl who is currently in the news again....

If you have been watching "Underbelly"...Karen Solich or whatever her name is lived there. Kamo High school girl I think.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice

Oh my god!!!!!! Was she ever convicted of anything???? Didn't watch all the TV series to find out..,,,,,

I wonder where she lives now.....ummmmm
Old May 18th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all

I spent 5 very dull days in Whangarei some years ago, and I've never been back.

I was waiting for the weather to clear so I could join a dive boat at Poor Knights Island. It was hot, damp and close for nearly a week with really low cloud and drizzle.

Pubs seemed to close just as I felt like a drink, and there was nothing open at all, not even restaurants, on a Sunday evening.

I heard a rumour it was a very religious time, hence the difficulty of finding beer.

I'm sure things have changed. I certainly hope so if you're thinking of living there. (This was 13 years ago, so there's been plenty of time for drastic evolution)
Old May 18th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Well we have been hear only for a short period (just over a year).

For a small city Whangarei has lots to offer with museums, cafes and restaurants, I have seen numerous pubs etc.....
But you are right Saturday PM & on Sunday , apart from some key shops and Supermarkets alot of other retail premises close. But to be honest we quite like that as it gives us the family feel and strong sense of community that lacked for us in the UK.

Have had some great nights out and in with friends, but definitely the company made the night a success. If you love larger Cities with constant entertainment I agree that Whangarei may not be the place for you.....but if you are looking for a better lifestyle - which is family orientated, a great place to live, work and play - then Whangarei is for you. The city is surrounded by bush-covered hills and overlooks the Whangarei Harbour. You have farmland, orchards, forests and spectacular coastline with some of New Zealand’s best beaches within 30 minutes of the city.

God.....I am sounding like an adadvertisement.........well its a massive improvement for our lifestyle, but I agree maybe not for everyone.....
Old May 18th 2009, 9:31 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DTHarrop
Oh my god!!!!!! Was she ever convicted of anything???? Didn't watch all the TV series to find out..,,,,,

I wonder where she lives now.....ummmmm
She's still a practicing lawyer in Auckland I think. So I am guessing no. I think the TV show is probably being quite careful too- making sure they portray her/her character as someone who may have been taken in by terry clark but unaware of what he was doing.