British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Info on Tauranga area needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/info-tauranga-area-needed-519877/)

sparkywater Mar 7th 2008 3:55 pm

Info on Tauranga area needed!

Have just got back from the most fantastic two weeks in New Zealand North Island on a recee. We really liked Tauranga (and it looks like it has a good hospital which is needed as the wife is a nurse). Can any one give me information on the area, ie which areas are nice to live in, which are the good schools etc. Any info would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

krissie Mar 8th 2008 8:29 am

Re: Info on Tauranga area needed!

hiya! glad u liked tauranga!!! lots of people at the hospital are brits...just spent a week there with my daughter!!! areas: depends if u want rural or city...my opinion nice are ohauiti, pyes pa, oropi, bethlehem's ok, tauriko, omokoroa (a bit further out tho')
schools: depends on ages, primary schools are zoned, let us know what age your looking at. mine go to greenpark primary (good school) tauranga intermediate and tauranga girls. look on web, they all have there own sites!
in tauranga theres only 1 intermediate, but then theres one at the mount and one in otumoetai..again depends on where you live really. theres the boys college too if you have teenage boys.....pm me if you want more specifics !!! good luck!!!:thumbup:

Archangel Mar 9th 2008 1:53 am

Originally Posted by krissie (Post 6033547)
hiya! glad u liked tauranga!!! lots of people at the hospital are brits...just spent a week there with my daughter!!! areas: depends if u want rural or city...my opinion nice are ohauiti, pyes pa, oropi, bethlehem's ok, tauriko, omokoroa (a bit further out tho')
schools: depends on ages, primary schools are zoned, let us know what age your looking at. mine go to greenpark primary (good school) tauranga intermediate and tauranga girls. look on web, they all have there own sites!
in tauranga theres only 1 intermediate, but then theres one at the mount and one in otumoetai..again depends on where you live really. theres the boys college too if you have teenage boys.....pm me if you want more specifics !!! good luck!!!:thumbup:

Hi Krissie
Wondered if you could help me too?
I am looking to move from the North Shore to Tauranga, so I need a good schools for my son who's 10 he will be 11 in June. He is currently in a very good school with a high rating. Not sure where we will move to exactly so would be interested in schools in areas around Tauranga. Thanks:thumbup:

Am Loolah Mar 9th 2008 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Archangel (Post 6036585)
Hi Krissie
Wondered if you could help me too?
I am looking to move from the North Shore to Tauranga, so I need a good schools for my son who's 10 he will be 11 in June. He is currently in a very good school with a high rating. Not sure where we will move to exactly so would be interested in schools in areas around Tauranga. Thanks:thumbup:

There's quite a lot of info in the Wiki (top task bar) regarding Tauranga, including links to schools in the area. Not all, just what I could remember!

We have been here 11 months, and our 9 year old son is doing pretty well at his school in Papamoa.:thumbup:

Archangel Mar 9th 2008 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 6036684)
There's quite a lot of info in the Wiki (top task bar) regarding Tauranga, including links to schools in the area. Not all, just what I could remember!

We have been here 11 months, and our 9 year old son is doing pretty well at his school in Papamoa.:thumbup:

Hi Loolah, We've been here 2 years and originally wanted to move to Tauranga
however, for reasons which we now regret ended up in Auckland, but its all been good. I've visited the area and will be heading that way over Easter. to further look around. I think a few trips will be required so that we get it right. Being a little bit more settled means we can aford to take our time as we need to get it right especially for the boy.

Thanx for your help.:thumbup:

krissie Mar 9th 2008 6:59 pm

hiya,
i dont know about any schools over the mount/papamoa as we live this side of the bridge. he'll be last yr of primary eh?? well, depending where you live, Greenpark primary is very good (personal experience). also tauranga primary has good reputation theres a couple of rural schools but its all zoned so it really does depend where you settle. if youre this side of the bridge, theres tauranga intermediate (yr7/8), which has a good reputation. ive not had any probs with mine there, but it is a big school. my 2 loved it there! theres also aquinas and bethlehem schools but i think you have to pay for thoses 2. otumoetai has primary, intermediate and college. tauranga has girls college and boys college, but you wont need those yet!! there are some 'not recommended' but i can only go off what people have told me! its a personal choice eh?! pm me if you want any more info!! good luck! :)

Archangel Mar 10th 2008 5:54 am

Originally Posted by krissie (Post 6038894)
hiya,
i dont know about any schools over the mount/papamoa as we live this side of the bridge. he'll be last yr of primary eh?? well, depending where you live, Greenpark primary is very good (personal experience). also tauranga primary has good reputation theres a couple of rural schools but its all zoned so it really does depend where you settle. if youre this side of the bridge, theres tauranga intermediate (yr7/8), which has a good reputation. ive not had any probs with mine there, but it is a big school. my 2 loved it there! theres also aquinas and bethlehem schools but i think you have to pay for thoses 2. otumoetai has primary, intermediate and college. tauranga has girls college and boys college, but you wont need those yet!! there are some 'not recommended' but i can only go off what people have told me! its a personal choice eh?! pm me if you want any more info!! good luck! :)

Thanx for your help Krissie we will look into these schools and if we do need more info i will PM you. :thumbup:

Am Loolah Mar 10th 2008 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Archangel (Post 6040907)
Thanx for your help Krissie we will look into these schools and if we do need more info i will PM you. :thumbup:

Yes, you pay for Aquinas and Bethlehem ... and need to be regular church goers to boot, not regular as in once a year to the Carol Concert as some friends of ours tried!:rofl:

We have a daughter at Tauranga Girls College and honestly you'd think it was private with the facilities etc - it's not.:thumbup:

Try www.schoolzones.co.nz should give you links to all the local schools. The primaries are 90% zoned for where you live.

Archangel Mar 11th 2008 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 6041612)
Yes, you pay for Aquinas and Bethlehem ... and need to be regular church goers to boot, not regular as in once a year to the Carol Concert as some friends of ours tried!:rofl:

We have a daughter at Tauranga Girls College and honestly you'd think it was private with the facilities etc - it's not.:thumbup:

Try www.schoolzones.co.nz should give you links to all the local schools. The primaries are 90% zoned for where you live.

Once again many thanx for info:thumbsup: