British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Info on some basic stuff required please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/info-some-basic-stuff-required-please-331941/)

Tech21 Oct 17th 2005 5:17 pm

Info on some basic stuff required please.

I have read through a lot of threads using the search facility but still need some more info on basic stuff mainly to do with cars:

What price is petrol over there compared to 92pence/lit in the UK (at supermarkets only) other garages and more countrified areas 94-98p/lit motorway services £1-05 to £1-25p/lit?

Any equivalent of road tax or MOT test to pay for each year if so, how much?

Car insurance, comparable to fully comprehensive cover in the UK. i.e. a 6 year old Honda Civic 1.8 Vti (169 bhp) 5-door hatchback £600+ (with loads of excesses to pay in the event of an accident), I have no points on my licence, no convictions, no accidents and am 53 years old and been driving for 33 years and have a 70% no-claims bonus discount.

What is the cost of car repairs? i.e. same car as above, supply and fit front and rear brake pads at the local Honda garage £280. Oil for a service was charged at £56 / 4lit + VAT (making it £65.80p) for Mobil-1 synthetic (buy it from local car factors for £28-00 to £33-00). Tyres, Michelin Exalto2, 205-50-15 (Z rated) £113 each at Quickfit, local discount tyre shop £83 each, UK internet shop £78.47.

What price is a reasonable car? Same car above cost £7000 12 months ago.

Any big V8 engines available? I am a member of an American Car Club and have a 1984 V8 305cui (5 lit) Chevy C10 Pickup, which is nice to drive around in on the odd occasions when I can afford the petrol.

There also appears to be some discrepancy over the price of mains plugs being anywhere from $1-50 to $8-00 each, which is nearer the correct price? What price are other consumables like Duracell batteries, light bulbs, blank CD’s ,blank DVD’s etc?

Other basic stuff like the cost of electrical repairs for instance to have another double wall socket installed or a PC checked out and repaired (say a Hard Drive failure on an 80GB drive, investigate, supply and repair), what would it cost to have a 12 foot by 18 foot brick garage or workshop built out of brick? What alternative materials may be cheaper?

What price are beer and fags? (stopped smoking 2 years ago so I only want this info as a comparison to here)

A lot to get through but thanks in advance.

There will be more to come…….

newkiwi Oct 17th 2005 11:23 pm

Re: Info on some basic stuff required please.

Originally Posted by Tech21
I have read through a lot of threads using the search facility but still need some more info on basic stuff mainly to do with cars:

What price is petrol over there compared to 92pence/lit in the UK (at supermarkets only) other garages and more countrified areas 94-98p/lit motorway services £1-05 to £1-25p/lit?

Car insurance, comparable to fully comprehensive cover in the UK. i.e. a 6 year old Honda Civic 1.8 Vti (169 bhp) 5-door hatchback £600+ (with loads of excesses to pay in the event of an accident), I have no points on my licence, no convictions, no accidents and am 53 years old and been driving for 33 years and have a 70% no-claims bonus discount.

What is the cost of car repairs? i.e. same car as above, supply and fit front and rear brake pads at the local Honda garage £280. Oil for a service was charged at £56 / 4lit + VAT (making it £65.80p) for Mobil-1 synthetic (buy it from local car factors for £28-00 to £33-00). Tyres, Michelin Exalto2, 205-50-15 (Z rated) £113 each at Quickfit, local discount tyre shop £83 each, UK internet shop £78.47.

Any big V8 engines available? I am a member of an American Car Club and have a 1984 V8 305cui (5 lit) Chevy C10 Pickup, which is nice to drive around in on the odd occasions when I can afford the petrol.

There also appears to be some discrepancy over the price of mains plugs being anywhere from $1-50 to $8-00 each, which is nearer the correct price? What price are other consumables like Duracell batteries, light bulbs, blank CD’s ,blank DVD’s etc?

Other basic stuff like the cost of electrical repairs for instance to have another double wall socket installed or a PC checked out and repaired (say a Hard Drive failure on an 80GB drive, investigate, supply and repair), what would it cost to have a 12 foot by 18 foot brick garage or workshop built out of brick? What alternative materials may be cheaper?

What price are beer and fags? (stopped smoking 2 years ago so I only want this info as a comparison to here)

cant answer all teh questions but here goes some.........

Petrol is around $1.40 pl.

You pay an annual registration fee, (i think its about $200, but i cant remember). You also pay for a Warrant of fitness Test every six months on 2nd hand cars, $35 a go, no big deal though.

Were paying around $400 a year for car insurance, 1.3 l second hand car, fully comp.

Loads of big pickups/ 4x4s around

Not sure about the rest...........

Tech21 Oct 18th 2005 5:46 am

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

jueinnz Oct 19th 2005 9:13 pm

Cigareetes..called "Smoles" will cost ya $9 for pack of 25 and you can even buy them in packs of 40!!!!!!!
Biggest shopping in NZ tip would be you never buy anything at full price, (towels, homewhere, light bulhome where, and the such) nearly all stores have days where they will have 15% of everything or the such...so you learn to wait or buy in advance.
As for the Garage you normally would buy those in kit form or from a garage dealer.
Insurence companies Insuranceably honour your no claims discount on your insurence so get certificate.

uk+kiwi Oct 20th 2005 5:56 am

Originally Posted by newkiwi
cant answer all teh questions but here goes some.........

Petrol is around $1.40 pl.

You pay an annual registration fee, (i think its about $200, but i cant remember). You also pay for a Warrant of fitness Test every six months on 2nd hand cars, $35 a go, no big deal though.

Were paying around $400 a year for car insurance, 1.3 l second hand car, fully comp.

Loads of big pickups/ 4x4s around

Not sure about the rest...........

Well for all the recent comments on how expensive NZ is, I am pleased to say these prices are much cheaper than in the UK:

Petrol now at a shocking £1.99/litre - that's over $5 on a (meaningless) direct comparison

MOT test - £40 or £45 but only annually

My car insurance - £450/year

I imagine our road tax is the equivalent of the NZ annual registration fee - this is £190/year.

So some good news for those NZ bound. :)

melting pot Oct 20th 2005 6:18 am

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]Well for all the recent comments on how expensive NZ is, I am pleased to say these prices are much cheaper than in the UK:

Petrol now at a shocking £1.99/litre - that's over $5 on a (meaningless) direct comparison

Can you just check the petrol price, as just checked on the AA web site in UK and saying petrol at 90p - 99p litre depending where you live, are you sure that £1.99 is actualy for a gallon ??

Tech21 Oct 20th 2005 7:11 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

I hope you mean £0.99/lit which is $2.77 on a (meaningless) direct comparison or if you really do mean £1.99/lit then you really are getting stiffed on petrol prices in Surrey.

Yes, direct comparisons are totally useless but I think you needs to know the cost of consumables and other things that you need to buy regularly so that you can work out an idea of just what your outgoing will be so you can compare it with your incomings when you are aware of the salary you will be getting (hopefully you will have done this before turning up in NZ) as turning a blind eye to this and only bothering to worry about it when you get there is a recipe for disaster. No point in having a $68000 salary only to find out when you get there that after tax you are spending more than you are earning also you need to factor in other things like the cost of doctors visits etc which is a cost you don’t incur in the UK.
If you have to drive a round trip of 80 miles a day to go to work then prices for a decent reliable car, petrol cost, repair costs, and other motoring costs are of paramount importance.
So I do feel that you need to know the cost of the items that you will be buying on a regular basis before you go there and not just use them as a means to see what is cheaper than in the UK.

uk+kiwi Oct 20th 2005 12:42 pm

I hope you mean £0.99/lit which is $2.77 on a (meaningless) direct comparison or if you really do mean £1.99/lit then you really are getting stiffed on petrol prices in Surrey.

Sorry, you are absolutely right! Petrol here, when I bought it the other day and noticed the ridiculous price increase, is now 99.9p/litre. So how ripped off do you think we're being?? :D

melting pot Oct 20th 2005 4:30 pm

Yes, direct comparisons are totally useless but I think you needs to know the cost of consumables and other things that you need to buy regularly so that you can work out an idea of just what your outgoing will be so you can compare it with your incomings when you are aware of the salary you will be getting (hopefully you will have done this before turning up in NZ) as turning a blind eye to this and only bothering to worry about it when you get there is a recipe for disaster. No point in having a $68000 salary only to find out when you get there that after tax you are spending more than you are earning also you need to factor in other things like the cost of doctors visits etc which is a cost you don’t incur in the UK.
If you have to drive a round trip of 80 miles a day to go to work then prices for a decent reliable car, petrol cost, repair costs, and other motoring costs are of paramount importance.
So I do feel that you need to know the cost of the items that you will be buying on a regular basis before you go there and not just use them as a means to see what is cheaper than in the UK.

I couldnt agree more tech 21...been here 6 months and in the situation you are describing ( more outgoings, than income) so do make sure you check all the prices of things against expected salary, or you too could have a big shock upon arrival like we did.

melting pot Oct 20th 2005 4:53 pm

We spend about $50 dollars a week,this is mainly short trips and equates to about 100-150km...but then this is a 3.5l automatic...but hopefully me being blonde and you being a bloke can work out kpg,our car ins was $600 fully comp,servicing $180....dont know much else about cars though..sorry
When we have done a long trip to visit family via moterway,its $90 on a 380km trip

Unfortunatly petrol has always been a topic in the UK,same as beer and fags...always been expensive...

Tech21 Oct 21st 2005 8:44 am

Thanks for the prices (from everyone), much appreciated.

Melting pot,

Originally Posted by melting pot
We spend about $50 dollars a week,this is mainly short trips and equates to about 100-150km...but then this is a 3.5l automatic...but hopefully me being blonde and you being a bloke can work out kpg
When we have done a long trip to visit family via moterway,its $90 on a 380km trip

This is assuming you are paying $1.40 a litre for petrol;
And I have converted the end result to miles per gallon (being 53, I still work in pints and inches);

On short runs
If you are doing 100 k on 35,7 lit of petrol you are getting 8 MPG (2.8k/lit)
If you are doing 150 k on 35,7 lit of petrol you are getting 12 MPG (4.2k/lit)

On motorway runs
If you are doing 380 k on 64.3 lit of petrol you are getting 16.8 MPG (5.9k.lit)
That appears to be excessive consumption even for a 3.5 lit auto.

With the cars I own at present this is the consumption I am getting:
2000 Honda Civic 1.6 lit Vti coupe (165 BHP) gives an average of 32 MPG (11.2k/lit)
2000 Honda Civic 1.8 lit Vti 5 door (169 BHP) gives an average of 33 MPG (11.6k/lit)
1995 SAAB Griffin 3.0 lit V6 Auto (210 BHP) Gives an average of 24 MPG (8.4k/lit)
1989 Honda Prelude 2.0 lit Coupe Auto (160 BHP) Gives an average of 28 MPG (9.8k/lit)
1984 Chevrolet C10 Pickup truck 5.0 lit V8 (225 BHP) Gives an average of 18 MPG (6.3k/lit)

All the cars give much better consumption on long trips (especially the Chevy) and worse if doing short, round town, trips (again, especially the Chevy).

What type is your car? It may well be worth checking your consumption figure against the manufactur ers data.