British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Info please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/info-please-374718/)

hayleyhails May 20th 2006 6:39 pm

Info please

looking into possibility of a move to NZ researching on places to live.

has anyone been to whangerai? ive done a search to no avail!! Any info very much appreciated, the only things i know are average house price and weather!!

whats the lifestyle like?
is there a big expat community?
are the locals friendly there?
easy to mix/meet new people?
things to do there?
resteraunts/nightlife?
age of population? Dont want to move to the land of blue rinses!!!!

all info much appreciated :D

Nice Guy May 20th 2006 7:59 pm

Info please

I believe shazzafromnz is from whangerai, drop her a pm.....may be very useful!

shazzafromnz May 22nd 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Info please

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I believe shazzafromnz is from whangerai, drop her a pm.....may be very useful!

Hayley has contacted me but i want to add that her search and anyone else should be tried again and is bound to be more successful usung the correct spelling ... Whangarei ;) also check out any of my other posts.
Ta
Shazzafromnz

Alex May 22nd 2006 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
looking into possibility of a move to NZ researching on places to live.

has anyone been to whangerai? ive done a search to no avail!! Any info very much appreciated, the only things i know are average house price and weather!!

whats the lifestyle like?
is there a big expat community?
are the locals friendly there?
easy to mix/meet new people?
things to do there?
resteraunts/nightlife?
age of population? Dont want to move to the land of blue rinses!!!!

all info much appreciated :D

Hi,
We moved to Whangarei almost a month ago now, and move into our rental on Friday....(Hooray!!)
We have already met friends, both Kiwi's and New Zealanders, and have been to BBQ"s in the rain, lunches and partys and all that in the last fortnight,so our social life here has really had a good kick start!
I must say though that since we have arrived I have never seen so much rain..and we are Scottish, everyone goes around with brollies.There is not that much to do in the rain, there is a cinema, which is pretty good.As far as resteraunts...well there are some but our first Friday night here, most of them were empty, most people go out at lunchtime or early doors......however remember we have only been here a short time, and I am sure there must be more going on somewhere!!
I hope I have been of some help, but we are just getting used to it all ourselves...Shazza is from Whangarei so can probably help you more.
As for blue rinses....well I don't have one...so does that count me as young??
If I can be of ant more hep I'll try, all the best,
Alex

Alex May 23rd 2006 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Alex
Hi,
We moved to Whangarei almost a month ago now, and move into our rental on Friday....(Hooray!!)
We have already met friends, both Kiwi's and New Zealanders, and have been to BBQ"s in the rain, lunches and partys and all that in the last fortnight,so our social life here has really had a good kick start!
I must say though that since we have arrived I have never seen so much rain..and we are Scottish, everyone goes around with brollies.There is not that much to do in the rain, there is a cinema, which is pretty good.As far as resteraunts...well there are some but our first Friday night here, most of them were empty, most people go out at lunchtime or early doors......however remember we have only been here a short time, and I am sure there must be more going on somewhere!!
I hope I have been of some help, but we are just getting used to it all ourselves...Shazza is from Whangarei so can probably help you more.
Alex

Oops I meant Kiwis and Expats ....Sorry!

shazzafromnz May 24th 2006 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Alex
Hi,
Alex

Hi Alex..if its any comfort its unusually wet here at the moment in Whangarei we have mud here all over the place..
.also re the cinema..on Mondays they have discounts,which may explain the quietness on Friday night..when alot of people are doing other things..
$9.00 instead of 12.00 for an adult in evenings after five pm
..check out www.skycitycinemas.co.nz/pages/Prices/html..this is the page that will show you all the pricing deals on which days.
Shazza

shazzafromnz May 24th 2006 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
Hi Alex..if its any comfort its unusually wet here at the moment in Whangarei we have mud here all over the place..
.also re the cinema..on Mondays they have discounts,which may explain the quietness on Friday night..when alot of people are doing other things..
..check out www.skycitycinemas.co.nz/pages/Prices/html..this is the page that will show you all the pricing deals on which days.
Shazza

OOPs
i should add that that prage i mentioned was from Sept 2004 but check out the web page as they do have a discount day where it ends up being about $3.00 cheaper each.

shazzafromnz May 25th 2006 12:52 am

Originally Posted by shazzafromnz
Shazza

Ive just rechecked the website and Tuesday is now the cheap day $6.50 all day and evening for adults and childre.
Shazza