Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

info needed on the following areas

info needed on the following areas

Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light
Default info needed on the following areas

hi as the title states..

any info that you think relevent to a family of 2 adults and 8 yearold lad mad on footie

petone
korokoro
normandale
tirohaunga
belont
maungaraki
waterloo
wainuimata
nae nae
taita
stokes valley
upper hutt city
kapiti coast

i know the list is long and i have tried searching threads but some areas are not mentioned.

thankyou
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:49 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: info needed on the following areas

Holiday, short term stay, long term? Not sure what you want to know.

Some of those places are small and none really compare to one another. Cant offer you any real advice on any one of them. We lived in the North Island for 4 years and I have only heard of 4 of them. How did you arrive at this list, have you been there yourselves and liked them, want more details about living there??
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

oolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really niceoolie is just really nice

Originally Posted by gina and danny
hi as the title states..

any info that you think relevent to a family of 2 adults and 8 yearold lad mad on footie

petone
korokoro
normandale
tirohaunga
belont
maungaraki
waterloo
wainuimata
nae nae
taita
stokes valley
upper hutt city
kapiti coast

i know the list is long and i have tried searching threads but some areas are not mentioned.

thankyou
We live in Woburn which is in the centre of Lower Hutt near the big indoor shopping centre. Waterloo is the suburb next door. Petone has some nice restaurants and is meant to be 'up and coming'. Tirohaunga has lovely views. Naenae is horrible! If you are looking at schools then Eastern Hutt Primary is meant to be the best in the area so might be worth checking what their zone is. If you are looking for somewhere nice which is easy to get into Lower Hutt then you should have a look at Eastbourne. Dont think it is cheap but is really nice. You should look at Woburn as well - walking distance to centre of Lower Hutt and only 15 mins drive into Wellington. PM me if you need any more info
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

any info that you think relevent to a family of 2 adults and 8 year-old lad mad on footie.
I think you are referring to kicking a round ball around the paddock, but footie here in New Zealand usually refers to rugby league or occasionally rugby. The game you know as football is mostly referred to as soccer, although marketers want to call it football for whatever reason. At any rate, it isn't a major sport here. Sure, youth leagues have many participants, but as the kids grow into teens they seem to gravitate more to the games of rugby and rugby league.

Sorry to go off topic. Now back to your regularly schedule programme, 'Wellington Suburbs - What are They Like?'.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

i was asking as a perspective to living there, i have these areas as that is a list of suburbs given to me by ohs future employer, he mentioned woburn aswell but said that it is expensive
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

hi as the title states..

petone
korokoro
normandale
tirohaunga
belont
maungaraki
waterloo
wainuimata
nae nae
taita
stokes valley
upper hutt city
kapiti coast

thankyou

Re the Soccer/Football check out the Mainland Soccer website they run the football leagues for kids in NZ.
There are hundreds of junior kids teams, we found it much better than the UK. We are in Chc and there are probably 20 different clubs all with more than one team per year. They start from 5//6 upwards.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:03 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

i was asking as a perspective to living there, i have these areas as that is a list of suburbs given to me by ohs future employer, he mentioned Woburn as well but said that it is expensive
Yes, I know. Sorry to waste your time talking about sport when you want to know more about Wellington accommodation, services and living environment. I don't live in Wellington, so I'm no help there. Hopefully someone will be along to give you the lowdown on the different suburbs.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:35 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

hi as the title states..

petone
korokoro
normandale
tirohaunga
belont
maungaraki
waterloo
wainuimata
nae nae
taita
stokes valley
upper hutt city
kapiti coast

thankyou

Hi

My disclaimer here would be that I don’t have children. So, I don’t really know a lot about primary schooling in those areas. Some of the areas are lower income (Naenae, Taita etc)but then again many of the houses are very nice inside and due to the time they were built (post WW2) are likely to have REALLY big backyards. Stokes Valley had a bit of a reputation for being a bit wild but personally I don’t think it is bad…bit close to the Rimutakas for my liking though (ie colder).

To be honest, it makes more sense to have a bit of a looksee when you arrive. Maybe stay in a motel when you first arrive (there are quite a few in Lower Hutt for some reason) and then go touring. All the places are relatively close together and you would get a far better idea.

Oh btw – in Wellington & the Hutt Valley, anything on a hill means three things

1. Often a great view
2. Blows like b*ggery
3. It’s a mountain. Its big. You don’t want to walk up it too regularly.

As for other things – all the areas are serviced by a decent bus service (as far as I am aware). But, if one of you is going to be heading into Wellington city at all then being near a train service or a more direct bus link would be better.

www.qv.co.nz (for a more ‘official’ description of the neighbourhoods)
www.ero.govt.nz (nz’s ofsted)
www.metlink.org.nz (public transport timetable)
www.trademe.co.nz (to find a house )

Interesting selection of suburbs your employer has given you though. Presumably you are working in Lower Hutt?