Info

Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Info

Hi There

Bit of a stab in the dark this, but we are off for a reckie next month and wanted to know what people thought about North V South Islands. We are going to be doing both but wondered if anyone could supply information on the employment situation currently where they live (OH is a Carpenter but very adaptable), the climate both summer and winter, and any info that may help us. We are looking at the Marlbrough region in the South and then travelling up the East of the North Island (Bay of Plenty etc).

Thanks everyone
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info

Originally Posted by Reylan
Hi There

Bit of a stab in the dark this, but we are off for a reckie next month and wanted to know what people thought about North V South Islands. We are going to be doing both but wondered if anyone could supply information on the employment situation currently where they live (OH is a Carpenter but very adaptable), the climate both summer and winter, and any info that may help us. We are looking at the Marlbrough region in the South and then travelling up the East of the North Island (Bay of Plenty etc).

Thanks everyone
Hi there, there will be more work in the North..mind you a good chippy should get work anywhere aye...irrespective of population numbers (there are more in the North than the South)?. Personally I would chose Marlborough over the North any day.

Have not been but I just get the feeling from having been in NZ 5 years the South Island can provide more of the NZ dream than the North can (I am sure there are exceptions). I am content where I am, don't get me wrong but if I could start again I would chose the South Island..more remote..even less people and waaaaay more beauty than the north (and the North is lovely). The down side is that the South does not have as clement weather as the north generally (the top of the suoth isle being yet another exception). Having said that Marlborough is a wine growing region so the temp can't be too bad!! Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

we are in the south island. (christchurch)

the job prospects are picking up quite a bit since 6 mnths ago. the job section in the saturday newspaper is much thicker!

Saw a carpenter job the other day for $30 per hour.

The climate here is quite mixed. We have very defined 4 seasons.

Summer - Very nice and warm but can be windy
Autumn - Fantastic, beautiful trees and very calm weather
Winter - Cold, but sunny (short winters Jun,July,Aug the worst of it)
Spring - fresh, unpredictable

Last edited by grantanddebs; Apr 9th 2010 at 12:21 am.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nelson and Bays - Top of the South is quite an expensive area to live in. It can be 'sunshine dollars' here but having said that this area gives a great feel good factor for lifestyle.

Our weather certainly rivals that of the North Island.Many homegrown kiwis feel that this area offers the best climate in New Zealand.
No snow on the ground here in Winter, although you can get your fix of snow at the Rainbow ski slopes just around 2 hours away.
The summers here are sunny and hot .... well TBH it wasn't too good this year... but other years have been good.
You can be outdoors all year round.

With regard to trade work. That is a hard one to peg. I've recently seen the advertising boards go up again in places looking for tradies.

I think your best bet would be to do what we did . Phone around a few places & see if there are current vacancies. Not all companies advertise their vacancies. They just put the word out that they are looking for someone or use boards. You'll need to tell 'em clear and straight that you have NZ permanent residency and so they are OK to offer you the work. They will all want to know when he could start and they will all want that to be soon as poss.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

welshmat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, If your looking for carpentry work avoid Auckland, my 15 years experience does'nt count because its not kiwi experience??? At least I can build a home that does'nt leak!! chippies are two a penny in auckland, and im not being racist, but you will have to compete with asians and islanders who will work for much less, the last job we were on myself two russians and three kiwi's were laid off while a gang off asian boys were kept on because they worked for a labour master who paid them $7 per hour less than us! but we were called back for the second fix because the cheap labour could'nt swing doors dont know if the situations different outside of auckland? Good luck with job hunting keep us posted, if things are different down south we could be heading that way ourselves?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

check this job out in christchurch -

http://www.seek.co.nz/job/fully-qual...17077780/29/1/
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:11 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

We have power n tap water in the North Island

South Island is whole different story.....

Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matewx

How cheeky

We're just outside Christchurch and have PIPED gas to the house.....
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Matewx

Funny, seeing as it's the North Island that have power shortages every year, and not the South Island.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:49 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
Funny, seeing as it's the North Island that have power shortages every year, and not the South Island.

Asking that question is the same as asking if it's better in Scotland than in Hertfordshire.........the weather is that different but the job prospects can be wildly varied......
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Thanks to everyone for your help. Love the banter between the North and South! We are off this evening and I can't wait!!!!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:09 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
Could this be because of the number of users....

Frankly speaking - I love CHCH & Hamner Spring (or Hanmer - not quite sure!) & Akaroa.... But man!!! We were there for NYE & it was SOOOO cold at night.... I can not even think what it must be like right now or in the middle of the winter....

Dont shoot me! I like both Islands.... Just stirring it....