Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing a UK car when your in NZ? (and find certain models on the impact list?)

Importing a UK car when your in NZ? (and find certain models on the impact list?)

Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Shiny Alex is on a distinguished road
Default Importing a UK car when your in NZ? (and find certain models on the impact list?)

Hi all,

I'm looking at importing an 1992-94 Audi Coupe 2.6 V6 from the UK (as I can't find one here) and it doesn't show up on the Frontal Impact list.

Also has anyone else imported a car this way? (not brought it over with them).

Thanks for any help

Alex
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a UK car when your in NZ? (and find certain models on the impact list?)

Originally Posted by Shiny Alex
Hi all,

I'm looking at importing an 1992-94 Audi Coupe 2.6 V6 from the UK (as I can't find one here) and it doesn't show up on the Frontal Impact list.

Thanks for any help

Alex
Kate drives a 2003 A4 2.4 V6 cabrio (coupe style looks and a bullet proof/weather proof top). Its not worth much and parts are easily sourced as they are a very popular ragtop over here. Point is why move an old car over here after much compliance, shipping and paperwork etc that will be expensive when you could have something younger that could cost around the same and be easier to look after??

Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz

If you do take the jump on a locally sourced car try to go for 'NZ new', not a 2nd hand import from Asia........there is some resistance from the market for these types of cars and they can be more problematic than ones that came straight to NZ from their birth place......I had a Saab from Singapore.....would only buy NZ new now.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Shiny Alex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Importing a UK car when your in NZ? (and find certain models on the impact list?)

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kate drives a 2003 A4 2.4 V6 cabrio (coupe style looks and a bullet proof/weather proof top). Its not worth much and parts are easily sourced as they are a very popular ragtop over here. Point is why move an old car over here after much compliance, shipping and paperwork etc that will be expensive when you could have something younger that could cost around the same and be easier to look after??

Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz

If you do take the jump on a locally sourced car try to go for 'NZ new', not a 2nd hand import from Asia........there is some resistance from the market for these types of cars and they can be more problematic than ones that came straight to NZ from their birth place......I had a Saab from Singapore.....would only buy NZ new now.

I'm not so keen on new Audis and had a very nice coupe in the UK (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=52151)
and it'd be very rare over here.

I have been looking at B5 A4s, but they just don't do it for me as much as a coupe does.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It must really P you off when you go to all that trouble pampering a car and idiots in car parks still put dents in the side while opening their doors. I see you have loads of those. One good thing about driving a scruffy '97 Odyssey is they don't bother you too much!
I can't really see the point of importing an old and potentially very expensive to maintain car, and I would have thought it would be a real struggle if it's not on the frontal impact list.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shiny Alex
Hi all,

Thanks for any help

Alex
I really wouldn't do it. Sell it and find something locally. I just don't see that all the greif and cost could ever be worth it. Have a look at that trademe site.