Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing dead relatives

Importing dead relatives

Old May 24th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Importing dead relatives

My father has unfortunately died recently, back in Scotland. We were unable to get back at the time while he was in hospital or to attend his cremation. We are planning to return to scatter his ashes later in June, but I thought, seeing as he always wanted to come out to NZ but was always too ill, why don't I bring a part of his ashes back with me and scatter them here.

-perhaps on the Rothmans building in Napier ;-)

Does anybody know what paperwork will be involved in doing so and how to go about it ?

thnx

peter

Last edited by pangor; May 24th 2008 at 10:13 pm. Reason: smiley pproblems
Old May 24th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Importing dead relatives

Sounds harsh but....why would you have to tell anyone?
Old May 24th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Yes that was my thought, but unfortunately my wife cannot tell a lie and is worried in case they search the bags and upon finding a small packet of white powder go for the rubber gloves to search a liitle bit further !

peter
Old May 24th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

MMM I think just put a little bit in a nice suitable container and if you get asked be honest,
Old May 24th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

yep will probably do that.

Nicola has emailed customs and excise to ask, but it is not as if we are bringing in Nuclear weapons, dog semen, or childrens pyjamas ( all prohibited it seems )

peter
Old May 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has just brought bits of my dad and planted him here in my garden.
Didn't tell anyone-didn't ask anyone-probably wasn't his bowel ash cos the dogs sniffed nowt.
Nike......just do it!
Old May 25th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Well there you go - The man from customs he say . . . .Yes !

You were all right, there is no problem whatsoever with bringing in human ashes.

peter (who is eating kumara and coconut soup just now)

ps if you ever need cheering up, have a look here - http://icanhascheezburger.com/

KTHXBYE

Last edited by pangor; May 25th 2008 at 2:21 am. Reason: added in the link as a reward for people who read right to the end . . .
Old May 25th 2008, 8:50 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Expect to have your bag searched each time it passes through x-ray. I travelled from NZ to UK with my brother's ashes (mum wouldn't class him as buried properly and was upset so his final resting place will be with mum). I had my bag searched at every x-ray, no one said anything though.

All I needed was Michael's certificate of cremation. I've now brought him back as Mum resides in Australia, which is quite fitting as he had just won a contract to dance in Oz.

Thank you for looking into this as I will be taking him to Australia when the time comes.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pangor
childrens pyjamas ( all prohibited it seems )
peter
Sorry to hear of your sad news...glad it sounds like you will be able to bring the ashes over without difficulty.I've almost clocked up 12 months without seeing my parents for the first time in my life and they are getting on in life....this really is one of the worst aspects of being on the other side of the world because even if you can afford the fares home regularly, you don't necessarily want to use all your annual leave for instance, so it's never an easy issue for expats anywhere in the world but deffo the hardest of all here....

On a more mundane note, does anyone happen to know why no children's pyjamas?..I've just asked for some to be sent over as the ones here are so 1950s and have massive 'Keep away from fire' labels all over them which I find scary even though there are no naked flames in our house. I'll see if they get through the post then.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Sorry to hear of your sad news...glad it sounds like you will be able to bring the ashes over without difficulty.I've almost clocked up 12 months without seeing my parents for the first time in my life and they are getting on in life....this really is one of the worst aspects of being on the other side of the world because even if you can afford the fares home regularly, you don't necessarily want to use all your annual leave for instance, so it's never an easy issue for expats anywhere in the world but deffo the hardest of all here....

On a more mundane note, does anyone happen to know why no children's pyjamas?..I've just asked for some to be sent over as the ones here are so 1950s and have massive 'Keep away from fire' labels all over them which I find scary even though there are no naked flames in our house. I'll see if they get through the post then.
Since being here for the last 3 1/2 months, i've had 3 lots of childrens pyjamas sent out through the post, never had any probs yet, didn't even know of any regulations regarding them. My friends and family are always sending Next clothes through the post to us.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:55 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

heh - LOL catz crack me up

Nice one.
Old May 26th 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

My dear old Dad had passed away--we could not get to the funeral in time(he had said "Don't try to get here if anything happens-it will be too late anyway"). When Mum became crook about a year later we went over --she recovered and lived another 12 years. I took a handful of dirt from Dad's resting place put that in a plastic bag. Declared this on the way back in to NZ.

The Customs/MAF etc could have not been more helpful. Very kind and respectful
Old May 26th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

I think if you leave relatives behind, then something like this is bound to happen - sad though it is. I think in my case, my Dad has been pretty ill for ages ( years) and would never have been able to visit NZ, so I really said goodbye when we emigrated. Also I have a sister and brother back in the UK who were able to be there for my mum, it must be much more difficult I think leaving elderly relatives on their own.

regarding childrens pyjamas it is the ones containing lead (!??) that are banned
it is all here - http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

including . . . patagonian toothfish, liberian diamonds and weapons of mass destruction from korea.

I'll sleep safer in my bed now

peter
Old May 27th 2008, 11:06 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

regarding childrens pyjamas it is the ones containing lead (!??) that are banned
Rats, there I was thinking that it was an added extra that my lead jammies were keeping me warm AND allowed me to pick up radio stations. Is nothing sacred anymore?!!