Reload this Page >

IMPORTING CARS FROM THE UK

IMPORTING CARS FROM THE UK

Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IMPORTING CARS FROM THE UK

Hi.

We are hopefully looking to move out in next couple of weeks once everything rubber stamped.

We are toying with the idea of shipping our Nissan X trail out with us (2003 reg and only 37k miles on the clock) as from what we have seen on Trade Me prices for equivalent cars in NZ are quite expensive.

Our car would probably fetch £4,000 in UK market (circa $10,000 NZD) but don't think we would getting anything near the equivalent car either on year or low mileage in NZ based on this value.

Car would be about £2k to ship over.

Does anyone know what the score is with rules on modifcations that are required to imported cars particularly a 2003 X trail (can not seem to find out of this would require modifying - have looked on Land Transport NZ website but does not explain clearly (either that or I am a bit on the thick side which is more than probable!).

Any speedy responses would be appreciated.

Cheers for any help.

Steven.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice
Default Re: IMPORTING CARS FROM THE UK

I'm more interested on where you've got a quote for £2K for shipping! Can you let me know who you're using?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
I'm more interested on where you've got a quote for £2K for shipping! Can you let me know who you're using?

Thanks
Sorry the £2k shipping was an approx. extra over cost on top of the cost to ship our main furniture and personal belongings.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:40 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

hi

have you seen this link?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/

it has a whole load of links to factsheets that should tell you everything you need to know.

Cars (particularly Jap Imports) are generally quite cheap here, although I agree that you're unlikely to get an x-trail of the age and mileage of yours for $10000

http://www.autotrader.co.nz is a good place to look at car prices
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They sell the X-Trail over here which means it will pass the frontal impact standards etc.
I was told I would need to pay $600 for a frontal impact cert - I didn't and VTNZ just checked it in their computer as part of the registration.
No modifications should be needed at all.

Registering it is straightforward - you have it taken to the VTNZ and they check it over and give you plates. They charge about $400 for the plates and reg and about $350 for the import check.

The car needs to be steam cleaned before shipping or MAF will fail the inspection and charge for re-cleaning.

Make sure you insure against accidental damage - my car was damaged by the shippers after it arrived in NZ and MAF used a forklift blad to lift it, creasing the sills.

Three years ago I paid GBP1250 for shipping with John Mason plus GBP750 insurance.

The damage to my car cost $1400 to put right.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:22 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

I have done this once and am just looking to bring our second car over, for the same reason.

It is quite straightforwards, if your car meets certain standards.

You need to decide between RoRo (roll on roll off ferry) or in a container (more expensive). Basically you can't insure it on the voyage for much other than loss (despite what the shippers tell you - I have experience of this too). If you want info on the whole thing, let me know, but regarding getting it registered & legal over here, then these are the things you should look into before you get here....

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/44.html

Lots of info on the legalities....

You need the V5 and the purchase invoice as paperwork from the UK

email the aa with photo's of the plates on your car detailing the spec it was made too (Wally Gee in Auckland is the top man in the AA regarding compliance so he's the man to get on-side with).

Basically you need to prove that it was built to a standard (which the plates prove, hopefully) and that it still meets the standard (which means it needs to be tested here). It varies as to your visa type too - PR = no emmisions testing, work visa = emmissions test & proof it was built to a standard to pass the test (even if it passes!?!?).

The costs this end will depend on how you do things - most ships go to AKL so you may need to pay for someone to customs and MAf clear it for you (around $600 if you get stung for a clean, etc but could be as low as $150) then ship it to an AA near you for compliance testing and WoF/rego.

Off the top of my head, it was around $1.5 - 2K at this end for customs/MAF/Compliance/WoF/Reg/shipping to Welly ($312+GST)

Your car won't attract GST if you owned and used it for >12 months before shipping and don't sell for 2 years after it gets here. If you sell then you owe GST on the value of the car and the shipping (the value is regarded as the price you paid less 75% if it's over 3 years (from memory) so it generally under values it.

That's enough to be getting on with,

let me know if you need more info - there's only so much I can type in one go!

A
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:23 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Broaders
Sorry the £2k shipping was an approx. extra over cost on top of the cost to ship our main furniture and personal belongings.
£900 quid for our car.....plus a few bits this end - see above

A
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Many thanks for your help.