Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing a caravan

Importing a caravan

Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice
Default Importing a caravan

Hi All,

has anybody on the forum had any experience/knowledge in importing a UK caravan into New Zealand?
I am in the process of importing a brand new Bailey caravan which should arrive at the end of March.
I am trying to find out what work has to be done to the caravan to obtain a gas and electricity compliance certificate.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated .

Mark
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

ccurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing a caravan

Hi
Im afraid I cant help with the electric and gas element. But would appreciate your help. Could you PM me and let me know roughly how much it cost to export to NZ? Caravans seems really expensive to buy there.
Thanks
Caroline
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that both of you contact aa.co.nz and speak with them as they will be able to answer you questions and give costs and each step of the process.

Importing a Car Enquiry form | AA New Zealand

also you could try emailing [email protected] who has helped a number of other members including myself when we were importing cars. if he can't help on the caravan front he may be able to forward the query onto someone who can
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice

Originally Posted by ccurtis
Hi
Im afraid I cant help with the electric and gas element. But would appreciate your help. Could you PM me and let me know roughly how much it cost to export to NZ? Caravans seems really expensive to buy there.
Thanks
Caroline
Hi Caroline,

Below are the costs broken down.

New Bailey Caravan NZ$29,674.00
Shipping including Insurance NZ$4,490.00
MAF Inspection/Customs clearance NZ$1,670.00
Import Duty NZ$1.670.00
GST NZ$5,260.00

A grand total of NZ$42,764.

The exact same new caravan at the local Baileys importer is NZ$58,000

I hope that this helps.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I would suggest that both of you contact aa.co.nz and speak with them as they will be able to answer you questions and give costs and each step of the process.

Importing a Car Enquiry form | AA New Zealand

also you could try emailing [email protected] who has helped a number of other members including myself when we were importing cars. if he can't help on the caravan front he may be able to forward the query onto someone who can
Many Thanks for your reply.

I do not have a problem with the importation side of the van, that is straight forward and the van is already on the way to NZ.

What I need to find out is what I need to do to the van to make it compliant with New Zealand Gas and electricity regulations.

Kind Regards

Mark
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:00 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

has your imported not given you any advise on this?

the aa may still be able to help
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I feel there's huge profits to be made in this.
Not so much with new vans but used ones from the UK
are a fraction of the cost of the same thing here
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

ccurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree. almost wishing i didnt sell mine over here. gorgeous 6 birth in tip top condition for £6k. Would cost easily £25k to buy same over there
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

We are importing our trailer tent currently with NZ vanlines and awaiting inspection. We have been told it will be subject to the same checks as the car. The MPI check for cleanliness etc and WOF to ensure road worthiness and safety.
Your shouldn't have a gas canister in the caravan so you wouldn't need a gas check.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Just reread your thread and you were after the compliance certificate.

Found some info on the gov website

HomePage | Energy Safety

Electrical and Gas Safety Obligations for the Caravan,
Motorhome, and Boating

It mentions about a Warrant of electrical fitness but not gas.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:11 am

well done Dandy, think thats what Mark is after

Amended Regulations for Caravans | Energy Safety
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dandy du2
Sorry. Just reread your thread and you were after the compliance certificate.

Found some info on the gov website

HomePage | Energy Safety

Electrical and Gas Safety Obligations for the Caravan,
Motorhome, and Boating

It mentions about a Warrant of electrical fitness but not gas.
Many thanks MrsFychan and Dandy for trying to help, It is very much appreciated.

What I am trying to find out is what work I need to do to the caravan to be able to get the gas and Electric compliance certificates.

As an example do I have to change the gas regulator( I actually do ) or the type of gas pipe used, maybe the gas jets on the cooker or heater to get the Gas cert?

Do I have to change the English electric sockets to NZ sockets to get the electric cert?
I have heard from one source that I might have to change the MCB's( fuse box ) though I cannot find any info to confirm or deny this.

I have spent hours on google trying to find out what work will need doing to no avail.

Kind Regards

Mark
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:58 am

and your importer doesn't have the answers?

Give the AA an email I'm sure they could help
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
and your importer doesn't have the answers?

Unfortunately not. I have purchased the caravan myself in the UK and arranged shipping myself

Give the AA an email I'm sure they could help
The AA were extremely helpful when we emigrated to NZ and brought our car with us. In fact without their help I do not think we would have managed to bring the car with us. Unfortunately they can not help this time.

Last edited by Deepseamark; Feb 19th 2015 at 8:09 am.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

@ Deepseamark.
So $15 000 cheaper for the same new van, but then you don't know how much it will cost you to make it compliant with NZ rules and regulations, plus there's the Warrant of Fitness, registration and vehicle license costs to add ?
I'm thinking your total costs aren't gonna be too far off buying it new here.

I agree there's money to be made importing used vans and campers etc from the UK as they're cheap as chips and don't hold their value but new ones I'm not so sure the small savings will be worth all the hassle.

Good luck though. Will be interesting to hear how much you spent in total against the price new here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.