Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing a car when we move UK->NZ

Importing a car when we move UK->NZ

Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future
Default Re: Importing a car when we move UK->NZ

Sodablasting, that's a new one! Will look, thanks.

I'm just calling round now, they do plastic blasting too. Crazy.

I'm actually thinking that anything-blasting right next to the suspension and 4x4 systems might not be a good idea, might just be easier to sand it off instead. Could even do it myself, it's not rocket science - just need to find the right type of clear stuff to put on it afterwards.

-========================-
Edit .. found this on sodablasting

Soda blasting is also used, and does a good job generally, but it also has a residual problem, the Bicarbonate of Soda with a Ph of 7.5 (slightly alkaline) becomes something much more aggressive with a Ph of 9.5 when the temperature increases. So on a nice hot day your paint will be quietly pickling away at the seams and overlaps. Soda blasting will remove paint, but not corrosion.

So probably not a good idea for something that's about to be left unattended in a boiling hot container for 3 months
Anyway, the process seems to take several weeks, so too long for me really, but interested in how you get along if you do it.
=================
Edit 2: Called the sodablasting guys and they said its only suitable for a bare shell of a car, not an 'assembled' car.

Last edited by SimonR; Jun 18th 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SimonR
Edit 2: Called the sodablasting guys and they said its only suitable for a bare shell of a car, not an 'assembled' car.
Crap, Ill post what my guys say (had to email them as busy on phone) anyhow.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Originally Posted by SimonR
Wendy, you're right, that wasn't all my calcs, just the cost of repair, and yes, we'd have to pay GST I assume. Since we've just bought the car, I was told that I could just take the receipt of sale along as an indicator of value. If you're concerned, you could get a 'Parkers' or 'Glass' valuation of your bike model and year, might be worth doing (assume they do bikes as well as cars).
Good luck and do post out the outcome!

We are after a Royal Enfield Bullet Electra Motorbike - made in India, we have made our decision to buy in NZ and if Hubby cannot get a nearly new second hand one he will buy new (his last hurray I think!!). As they are sold and supported with a dealership in Auckland we have decided to get it there with the warranties etc.,

Sounds to me that this is going to be more of a hobby for you to keep you busy in the next few weeks!!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

No, I definitely don't want a hobby - I've found out how to repair it and found someone to do it, and that's my hobby over now

If they sell in in Akl, you might as well get it there - or get one imported from India (no point having it taken from India to the UK to take it right past India again on the way to NZ).