importing car

Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default importing car

Any experiences recently? Looking to bring 63 vette from USA.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:25 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing car

no idea about from the US
Importing a Car Into New Zealand - aa.co.nz

we found emailing them extremely helpful. They told us that by the information we had given, model, age, engine number and a few other things that we should not have any problems with the compliance required for NZ.
We bought ours over as we just did not have any money to buy here and apart from it being ripped apart by VTNZ and them buggering up one of the back seats that my husband then had to spend 3 hrs on repairing before they would sign it off it has been a blessing and not very expensive, but then it is basically a Holden so parts are mostly easy to replace
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:21 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all

I agree with MrsFychan to speak to the aa before doing anything.
I didnt and have ended up paying over $5k in compliance stuff.

However I 100% believe that this is due to a dodgey mechanic in Christchurch more than anything as the guys I have chatted in my town (now I know more people) seem shocked at the work I was made to have done.

I imported from the UK an MGTF 2004 135 (1.8l)
She only has about 50,000 miles on the clock and is in mint conditiion.

I had to have the following:

1.Under body completely sprayed for rust and re painted (checked in the UK before hand and no rust was present)
2. 4 new brake discs
3. 4 new brake pads
4. 4 new tyres
5. Suspension ball joint
6. Suspension bush
7. Coolant pipes

Anyone would think I was driving a complete hunk of junk she is in mint condition regualrly serviced by MG specialst and still I was well and truly shafted. My new contacts are dubious at the amount of work done.

My advice is to find a good local mechanic that can do the complaince for you (tow your car on a trailer from the port) as they will know if they do a good job that they will have your business going forward. DONOT use an agent near the port that deals in importing cars.

However I do get to drive about countryside like this ... see attached
Attached Thumbnails importing car-mg.jpg  
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Let me ask one of the guys here in my work, he has brought in 2 or 3 of these
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

nzbone is an unknown quantity at this point

So a very good friend imported a 05 Vette from LA to Auckland. So a lot newer.

Their issue were the tints (which they let slide in the end) and the LHD low beam lights pointing to the wrong direction (i.e lighting up on the right side of the car, into the oncoming car's face).

The lights weremodified by an engineer down in south auckland, whohad owned a corvette and had to do the modification on his one, so knew what to do.

But for an older car I think you will be looking at a lot more check. They are especially concerned on rust.

I am about to ship a car from UK to NZ.