Reload this Page >

Importation forms for pets...

Importation forms for pets...

Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Craig and Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importation forms for pets...

Hi,

We were just wondering if anyone could help us...?

We are currently in the process of immigrating to NZ and are struggling to find the documentation to take our beloved pooch over with us!

We have looked at this website http://www.emigratenz.org/moving-pet...w-zealand.html and we need to download the application form; however, it's a dead link

Does anybody know where we can find one of these forms? Your help would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Craig and Cat

P.S Any advice on taking pets over would be super PLUS (!) I don't suppose anybody could recommend any good courier services to send my documents over for my NZQA...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importation forms for pets...

Originally Posted by Craig and Cat
Hi,

We were just wondering if anyone could help us...?

We are currently in the process of immigrating to NZ and are struggling to find the documentation to take our beloved pooch over with us!

We have looked at this website http://www.emigratenz.org/moving-pet...w-zealand.html and we need to download the application form; however, it's a dead link

Does anybody know where we can find one of these forms? Your help would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Craig and Cat

P.S Any advice on taking pets over would be super PLUS (!) I don't suppose anybody could recommend any good courier services to send my documents over for my NZQA...
Hi,

We used airpets; they were fantastic.

From my initial email to dropping the 2 dogs off we used the same person there. She also phoned out vet who was being funny about me providing the stool samples (not ME providing them , me taking the dogs'!)

Thoroughly recommend them.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi,

We used airpets; they were fantastic.

From my initial email to dropping the 2 dogs off we used the same person there. She also phoned out vet who was being funny about me providing the stool samples (not ME providing them , me taking the dogs'!)

Thoroughly recommend them.
Hi,

Many thanks for that - I'll have a quick nosy now

Stool samples huh?! What kind of check-ups, vaccines etc do pets have to have? I believe there is no quarantine regulation which is great; just a 30 day isolation period when they are over there...How did you find your vet? I presume you have to go through a regulated one rather than your own...

How were your dogs when you met them at the other side?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people on this forum (including us) use Golden Arrow. They are really friendly and helpful and your dogs or cats will arrive OK and safe.

Don't quote me, but I think that NZ prefers, even requires, you to use a pet shipping company. They build the approved sealed crates for your pets and do the final vet/health checks the last days before shipping.

On the bright side, your pets can be taken home as soon as they arrive as the UK has a rabies free agreement with NZ.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:23 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks for that - I'll have a quick nosy now

Stool samples huh?! What kind of check-ups, vaccines etc do pets have to have? I believe there is no quarantine regulation which is great; just a 30 day isolation period when they are over there...How did you find your vet? I presume you have to go through a regulated one rather than your own...

How were your dogs when you met them at the other side?
Hi. It's hard to remember exactly what tests they had - I know the tests have to be done at precise times in the build up to the flight - but Airpets hold your hand through all this, even booking the vets appointments if you want them to. We used our own vet and they liaised with him, including phoning him as I said, when he got funny and wanted to charge me to collect their samples. One phoncall later from Airpets and he'd conceded!

Airpets took our measurements of the dogs, did their calculations and then they make wooden crates for them to size. As we have 2 dobermans this was pretty darn expensive!

No, no quarantine. Ours flew out a day after us so we stayed overnight in Auckland before picking them up the following day. They were overjoyed to see us, starving as they don't have food or drink in transit and a bit wobbly on their legs. It took them about 2 weeks to fully find their feet again. Nothing major they just seemed tired and less energetic - as were we all!

I know we had to take away 2 crates with us when we picked them up. But as we had a people carrier and trailer, 4 kids and 8 suitcases, plus the dogs in the boot - they lets us take away 2 smaller ones!

If I can find the paperwork of the tests I'll let uou know, otherwise just ask Airpets or another shipper.

Just going to pop your thread in main forum.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

The tests listed on our quote from Golden Arrow says......

Obtaining DEFRA's Export Health Certificates. Blood tests for Lepto, Brucella, Ehrlichia and Heartworm (Antigen and Microfilariae). PCR and smear tests for Babesia. Faecal Tests. Last Wormers, Insecticide Treatments and Health Examinations

Total quote for 3 small dogs is £3262
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I used Golden Arrow and they were brilliant! No quarantine or isolation period at all, just pick up straight from the airport!

Yes, you have to collect the stool samples (otherwise known as the Long Wait ) and send them off for testing. My local vet did all the vaccinations, flea stuff and microchipping, so i just had to take my pussy up to the centre for him to catch his flight, no problems at all, although i don't think he's forgiven me yet! .
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Using a pet shipping company is not mandatory but of course makes things a lot easier when you can concentrate on your own preparations and flight and not worry about your pet.

Some airlines only accept pets from pet shipping companies: this seems to vary a lot and even according to the route you are flying. If i remember right, for example Air NZ requires the use of an agent if the first flight is from Heathrow but not on all other routes. So there is quite a lot of variation and if you want to handle the whole thing by yourself, you need to check the airlines' regulations and the route you are planning to use. It is also a good idea to check what kind of cargo holds they use for pets: most airlines have separate temperature-controlled and air conditioned sections, but there are slight differences between companies. It's also best to use as straight a route as possible to avoid changing aircrafts. You can find all the import regulations on the MAF (Ministry of Agriculture & Forestry) site: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets.

Last edited by Mgee; Jun 12th 2009 at 7:00 am. Reason: added stuff
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

LOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura aboutLOHDYNA has a spectacular aura about

We used the post office service to send NVQA all arrived safely and returned very quick with everything intact.
I have had several quotes from Pet Shipping agents and it appears that Golden Arrow are the best for 2 Labs
Good Luck
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I just sent mine via the Post Office, completely daft though, forgot pay to track it and spent weeks worried it hadn't arrived Things seem to have speeded up at NZQA since it all went online submitting. Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advice - greatly appreciated

Decided to go through DWL to courier our documents over - they get picked up on Monday and should be there for Thursday

It wasn't much more than sending them through the Post Office to be honest