Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all
Default Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Hi all.

I just read this excellent piece of advice on Guardian weekly online and have pasted the link to the article below.

We have been here for 5 years and are returning to UK for a 6 month visit in October .

We have built 2 houses here in Whakatane, Bay Of Plenty, and agree 100% with the advice given in this well researched article, having come across some of these problems quite frequently.

We are currently renting a new brick home that is being marketed for $395K - 145.000 pounds.

It has no heat pumps, no solid fuel wood burning stove and is bloomin' freezing with bad condensation as it is winter..single glazing is still used in a majority of homes although double glazing is available and now becoming part of new building reg's.

My advice...build if you can, as it is more affordable here IF you can get a section (plot) at the right price...Brick exterior,concrete roof tiles and double glazing are the order of the day to beat the leaky home syndrome and throw in at least one heat pump (air con unit) and a DVS system which some builders include as standard now.
These systems basically recirculate the air through your living space and loft space,thus utilising the warm air trapped in your loft space whilst reducing condensation.

Most builders will also back up their work with a 7yr masterbuild warranty (similar to the NHBC) for peace of mind.

If you cant afford to build, at least look for a home with the majority of these features..Kiwi homes are great in the summer but fall woefully short of British standards when winter arrives.

As a health worker, i can tell you from experience and stat's, that NZ has very high asthma rates, paticularly in children, and no wonder when you consider the cold, damp living conditions that many families have to contend with.

Ignore the article below at your own peril!

http://www.guardianweekly.co.uk/?pag...d=676&catID=13

Oh and be careful where you buy a house!!...Make sure you get an engineers report when considering buying a house, as some are built on land that may be subject to landslips as occurred in Welcome Bay over a year ago when the annual cyclonic weather fronts moved in, and now homes on the North Shore (Auckland) are the latest vicitims to the elements. See article below.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-sto...s-waiting-rain

Hope i dont come across as a prophet of doom!..most kiwi homes i would say are fine..but as they say..

"forewarned is forearmed"

Last edited by majohnno; Aug 2nd 2008 at 12:24 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice
Default Re: Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Depends what you want surely!

We have a beautiful 1905 villa - full of character - and as draughty as hell For July and August, we "suffer" (never exactly bad) and love the air that circulates naturally the rest of the time. I don't think I could live in a "sealed" house ever again to be honest.

Horses for course as they say.

Neil
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neilw71
Depends what you want surely!

We have a beautiful 1905 villa - full of character - and as draughty as hell For July and August, we "suffer" (never exactly bad) and love the air that circulates naturally the rest of the time. I don't think I could live in a "sealed" house ever again to be honest.

Horses for course as they say.

Neil
mmmmmm...be interesting to see how many folk out there looking at this thread would relish the prospect of leaving a nice energy efficient home in the UK to live in an old weatherboard villa thats as drafty as hell, cold and damp in the mornings...I mean,Why would you want to do that??..specially with young ones!...
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:18 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by majohnno
mmmmmm...be interesting to see how many folk out there looking at this thread would relish the prospect of leaving a nice energy efficient home in the UK to live in an old weatherboard villa thats as drafty as hell, cold and damp in the mornings...I mean,Why would you want to do that??..specially with young ones!...
You're right to forewarn people, but not all villas are as bad as you make out, and it is relatively easy to make them fairly comfortable (although they will never be as energy efficient as a new home).

We've got a young family and are pleased to be living in an old villa. In our minds the pros outweigh the cons.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I was brought up in a 100-year old villa in Canterbury. Cold - yes, very - there was no insulation of any form, and the only heating was a storage heater in the corridor and open fires in the living spaces. Damp? No - too draughty for any damp to linger! Ours was rented, but if you bought, and budgeted for insulation and heating, you could have a really nice house - these old villas have fantastic character, big rooms, hight ceilings and shady verandahs for the summer time. Remember, it only costs about $2500 for a fully-installed top quality heat pump, so provided you budget when you buy a house, there is no excuse for living in a cold place.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I was brought up in a 100-year old villa in Canterbury. Cold - yes, very - there was no insulation of any form, and the only heating was a storage heater in the corridor and open fires in the living spaces. Damp? No - too draughty for any damp to linger! Ours was rented, but if you bought, and budgeted for insulation and heating, you could have a really nice house - these old villas have fantastic character, big rooms, hight ceilings and shady verandahs for the summer time. Remember, it only costs about $2500 for a fully-installed top quality heat pump, so provided you budget when you buy a house, there is no excuse for living in a cold place.
Exactly what i'm saying isn't it?..buy a house thats structurally secure, and if it lacks insulation make sure you put some in.

Theres a lot of these old villas where i live too and very nice i agree.
The main point i wanted to make on the forum to buyers is just to be aware that Kiwi homes lack in standards of insulation that is taken for granted back in the UK.

I'm not saying old villas etc etc are not nice and cant be made warm, just be aware of the additional cost needed to bring some of them up to spec!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:57 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I can only speak as I find...

In the UK I had a 3 bed 1939 brick built semi in Suburban Surrey. Full gas central heating, UPVC double glazing and doors, all mod cons.

I NZ I have a 4 bed detached on 1/2 acre of land, built in 1976. Timber framed, Fibre cement cladding, Metal roof. 25kw Wood burner, Single glazing, but i've put 8" of insulation in the roof space.

I can honestly say that I had more condensation and mould problems in my UK house than i've ever had in NZ. With the wood fire going its warmer and cosier than the UK house ever was.

The secret I think, is proper ventilation. The uk house was SO airtight that condensation and black mould were a real problem. In NZ, even through the winter we leave some windows open about 1/2 inch and voila, no condensation.

When I first arrived in NZ I was shocked at the standard of Kiwi housing and there really are some real sheds out there particularly on the rental market, but the fact is that many Kiwi houses DO work in the kiwi climate.

I'd be interested to know other peoples experience.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I agree that some of the homes in NZ are draughty and cold, I totally disagree that it is cheaper to build.
The price of land nowadays and the cost of building has soared. So yes maybe for the Brit coming over with a bit of profit from a sold house may well be able to afford to build.
However with the rules and regulations of building the cost is not kept at a minimum as it was. To get a cheap plot you would have to move rural and then the cost of the build and then the cost of the travel costs to take you out of rural to get to your place of employment (unless you can afford the luxury of working from home).

I live in a beautiful character home I have been lucky that it was maintained before we moved into it. However I really feel that you could buy a large home on a large piece of land and over time fix it up. You still get the Kiwi home and the pleasure of making it your own.
NZ is all about character it is one of the few countries in the world that has maintained their character so why bother coming if you want to bring the British with you.

The cost of insulation isnt that much either and if you do what the Kiwi does you do it yourself then it will cost even less.

I came here knowing nothing about DIY but hey I soon got the hang of it.

Keep the Character I say
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent link there, thanks. I'm renting at the mo, while awaiting to sell my house in the UK, but even when looking round at rental accomm was astounded by the draughty houses and lack of any kind of heating.

I'm renting a place with an open fire, which is ok for heating the main room, but first thing in the morning on a cold night it is freezing in the morning and I actually warm up cycling the short distance to work. I certainly miss central heating that's for sure.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:00 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Excellent link there, thanks. I'm renting at the mo, while awaiting to sell my house in the UK, but even when looking round at rental accomm was astounded by the draughty houses and lack of any kind of heating.

I'm renting a place with an open fire, which is ok for heating the main room, but first thing in the morning on a cold night it is freezing in the morning and I actually warm up cycling the short distance to work. I certainly miss central heating that's for sure.
We left 14 radiators and an oil fired Aga behind in the UK for a 6 (ish) year old home here in NZ with 2 fires and underfloor heating, in the bathrooms only!

With a bit of Kiwi ingenuity (ok then, TradeMe) 2 gas portable gas fires and an electric radiator later (total cost $150) we survive! Winter last year to us was about 6 weeks, this year I think longer and wetter. Where you live in NZ will be a deciding factor on that. We are in a "mild" climate.

And I'd have to stick my neck out here and actually disagree with someone for once, I don't believe, where we live, that buying a section and building your own is cost efficient.

Land value here is too high for it to be so. So, again, it will depend where UK people are headed.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I left a 30 years old detched place in the uk.
Central heating,double glazing,loft and wall insulation.
It was nice and warm in winter with the heating on low.
we're now in a small 4 year old rental. it has one heat pump
that i dont like. its far to noisey for my liking and its supposed
to be a quiet one.
The house is cold most of the time. sure it heats up during the day
when we're all out at work and shcool b ut by the time we get home
that heat is off on its merry way out through the single glazed windows
and up through the under insulated roof.
We've just bought a new place and have had extra insulation fitted.
i'm currently looking into double glazing.
I dont understand why the kiwis choose to suffer the way they do in winter.
Everybody i talk to at work says how cold it is yet they think i'm crazy
for considering central heating.
One boiler heating 5 or 6 radiators will keep the whole place toasty.
the raiators will only need to be on for an hour at most in the morning and can cycle
on and off for a couple of hours at night. thats got to be more cost effective than
having 2 heat pumps and god knows how many electric heaters burning away for hours on end.
My workmates think i'm soft because i think i shouldnt have to suffer in my own home.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

Totally agree with you, i'm pretty sure when we move in two years time we'll be looking into Central Heating straight away. Have you priced how much it costs to install it and run it yet? Why be cold when you don't have to be, i hate being cold
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We left 14 radiators and an oil fired Aga behind in the UK for a 6 (ish) year old home here in NZ with 2 fires and underfloor heating, in the bathrooms only!

With a bit of Kiwi ingenuity (ok then, TradeMe) 2 gas portable gas fires and an electric radiator later (total cost $150) we survive! Winter last year to us was about 6 weeks, this year I think longer and wetter. Where you live in NZ will be a deciding factor on that. We are in a "mild" climate.

And I'd have to stick my neck out here and actually disagree with someone for once, I don't believe, where we live, that buying a section and building your own is cost efficient.

Land value here is too high for it to be so. So, again, it will depend where UK people are headed.
Keznjj and Am Loolah.

We have built 2 homes, and let me tell you, as i said in the first thread IF you get the section at a right price (and there are deals to be had right now in the current market) then building is cheaper than buying, purely because you are the one who benefits from the immediate equity in a new home.
eg We bought our first section here in Whakatane for $85 K in 2004 and paid $150K to Jennian for the build.Total$235K..sold for $465K in 2005!

We bought another section beginning of Jan 2007 for $165K and paid builder $210K total $375K...sold this May for $510K.

These buyers paid the market value for our homes whilst we benefitted from the equity through self build.

How can you say Am Loolah that not building your own place is not cost efficient?

Also Whakatane,because of its great weather and climate,being one of the warmest spots in NZ is very expensive to buy into..yet despite this, we were able to acquire 2 sections at reasonable price and build.

Right now we could buy another section here in a nice spot 600m2 for $180K and have seen a home 180+sq m2 with Hallmark homes for $235K that we could put onto it.Total $415K..
I'm pretty certain that if we did another build we could sell on for at least$480K and again make $65K.

People, if you have some GBP to bring across with you, i would seriously consider building your own home..not only do you get the added bonus of a place that is tailor made to your own requirements & Spec, but with no DIY, means more time enjoying the lifestyle you came over for!

PS:You can even have double glazing fitted
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

majohno, you've done very well with your self-builds. Sounds like you sussed things out very quickly here. Sounds too though like you knew exactly what you were doing (if you managed to sell both properties so quickly after building and at such gains, you would have had to have chosen location with at least some knowledge - unless this was all right before the turn around in the housing market?). There seem to be quite a few houses now on new developments that are just sitting unsold in my part of NZ. I'm curious, was the land you built on in developments or not? Were they 'front' sections or 'rear' sections?? Did you on-sell the houses to Kiwis or immigrants? And did you just choose some standard house plan from the building company, or did you custom-design/ tweak their design?

I have to laugh at posts here about 'horses for courses' and all that - yea right!! Number one complaint you'll hear from immigrants in NZ is about cold, damp housing - and believe me, you'll hear that complaint OFTEN because NZ is known to have the most 'unlivable' houses in the world for its climate. Even the new insulation regulations that have just come into effect STILL have a lower minimum R-factor requirement for ceiling insulation than for any N American/European country with similar climes. NakiMan - if "the secret... is proper ventilation" and you get that by opening your windows here half an inch, then, um.... what's the difference between opening a window in UK half an inch and opening a window in NZ half an inch? (Ventilation systems by the way, and not the Kiwi sort that draw 'fresh' air from the attic space, are a simple and healthy way to deal to this problem with air-tight homes in Europe.)

BTW, I hope your 'fibre cement cladding' isn't asbestos?? And no textured ceilings either I hope? Or lead paint/primer? Etc etc? NZ homes of all but VERY recent age (houses even 6+ years old can have 'leaky home syndrome') can be minefields of unsuspected 'toxicity' problems. But, you know, 'she'll be right, mate' ....
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
majohno, you've done very well with your self-builds. Sounds like you sussed things out very quickly here. Sounds too though like you knew exactly what you were doing (if you managed to sell both properties so quickly after building and at such gains, you would have had to have chosen location with at least some knowledge - unless this was all right before the turn around in the housing market?). There seem to be quite a few houses now on new developments that are just sitting unsold in my part of NZ. I'm curious, was the land you built on in developments or not? Were they 'front' sections or 'rear' sections?? Did you on-sell the houses to Kiwis or immigrants? And did you just choose some standard house plan from the building company, or did you custom-design/ tweak their design?

I have to laugh at posts here about 'horses for courses' and all that - yea right!! Number one complaint you'll hear from immigrants in NZ is about cold, damp housing - and believe me, you'll hear that complaint OFTEN because NZ is known to have the most 'unlivable' houses in the world for its climate. Even the new insulation regulations that have just come into effect STILL have a lower minimum R-factor requirement for ceiling insulation than for any N American/European country with similar climes. NakiMan - if "the secret... is proper ventilation" and you get that by opening your windows here half an inch, then, um.... what's the difference between opening a window in UK half an inch and opening a window in NZ half an inch? (Ventilation systems by the way, and not the Kiwi sort that draw 'fresh' air from the attic space, are a simple and healthy way to deal to this problem with air-tight homes in Europe.)

BTW, I hope your 'fibre cement cladding' isn't asbestos?? And no textured ceilings either I hope? Or lead paint/primer? Etc etc? NZ homes of all but VERY recent age (houses even 6+ years old can have 'leaky home syndrome') can be minefields of unsuspected 'toxicity' problems. But, you know, 'she'll be right, mate' ....
Hi Black Sheep,

Actually we were total novices. It was just as the market was about to rocket and we were on the cusp of buying an older place in town when someone suggested building.

We saw the section on a new subdivision at Coastlands, just outside town but right on the beach, then went to Jennian Homes and looked at plans for a home that would sit on the section.
They did all the calculations and we were surpised that the overall cost to build was only $25K more than the cost of the town house we were considering, built in the 60's!.

Most builders are quite happy to accommodate change in house plans to suit as long as you dont change anything to external structure,ie; you can move internal walls around and change layouts of kitchens and bathroom etc..so to answer your question,yes we did tweak the plans a bit, but no extra cost.

In the second build, Double glazing cost us an additional $4K in addition to the pc fee allowed by the builder (well worth it).

We put the 1st house on the market again as we were not too happy with some of the features we had put in and decided to build again incorporating double glazing,concrete roof tiles and heat pumps etc in the new home (our previous home was on an elevation).
Again we haggled on a section in a new subdivision round the corner and built again.

We would have been happy to stay in the second home but my daughter decided to ship over to Perth with her boyfriend for better opportunities, which has left me and my wife at a cross roads.

We decided therefore to sell whilst the market was still active in April - May this year and are heading back to UK for a 6 month trip,possibly with a view to staying, as we now have the freedom to travel and want to see a bit more of UK, friends, family and cheap hols to Europe.
We have NZ Passports now so can come back anytime we wish.

The market has taken a bit of a hit nationally, i know, particularly Auckland, but seems to be holding up better here in Whakatane as it is a retirement mecca due to good fishing,great weather,etc which obviously helps keep prices at a premium.

The first home we sold was to a local Kiwi and the second home to a Pommy wife and Canadian husband,who bought because they wanted a warm home with double glazing!!!.Incidentally, prior to buying our home, this couple had had 4 independant builders reports done ($600 a pop!) on local homes they were interested in buying, as they were involved in a court dispute over a home they had bought in Christchurch with leaky home syndrome and didnt want to get stung again.

All 4 reports came back with structural problems or damp related issues.

To re inforce you point Black Sheep, i think some folk who have posted on this forum are being a tad naive if they think that living in a cold, draughty house is some kind of quaint novel reflection of Kiwi living, irregardless of character, and not a great sales pitch when its time to sell up.

"Oh yessss..its a beautiful home..and so nice to feel the cold winter air blowing through the hall and into the livingroom!!"

Last edited by majohnno; Aug 4th 2008 at 5:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.