Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impartial advice on Job applications wanted

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
It is possibly due to you not having a valid work visa/permit. The issue with SMC is that it takes months to come through, which puts employers off. I'm not sure if there's any other visa or permit you can get so that you can start your job before your permanent residency comes through SMC. It sounds as if MrsFychan's husband obtained a temp visa, but I'm guessing you have to have a job in order to get this.

The issue I mentioned before is that a lot of companies don't understand the immigration process. The reason my partner was successful is because he received a job offer from a company on the accredited employers list. The other companies that he applied to who were not on the accredited employers list were not interested even though there was shortage of people with the exact skill set my partner has. It seemed like unless he already had permanent residency or citizenship they just weren't interested.
As Mrs Fychan says....you need the job offer in order to get the temp visa.You can then work on that visa while the PR Visa is being processed.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess, from the responses we have received so far, that the best thing we can do is to make another visit to NZ in the near future?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:51 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
As Mrs Fychan says....you need the job offer in order to get the temp visa.You can then work on that visa while the PR Visa is being processed.
Yep, I thought that might be the case. I wasn't 100% sure as we did not do it this way. I say apply to the accredited employers. The only two employers who were interested in my partner when he was applying were two that were on the list. All of the others with very similar job roles who weren't on the list had no interest.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yep, I thought that might be the case. I wasn't 100% sure as we did not do it this way. I say apply to the accredited employers. The only two employers who were interested in my partner when he was applying were two that were on the list. All of the others with very similar job roles who weren't on the list had no interest.
I have started working my way through the list and writing speculative letters.

Thanks

Steve