Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Immigration Question

Immigration Question

Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:39 pm
England til I die

UKGrant23 will become famous soon enough
Default Immigration Question

I am a British citizen, and my partner of 2 and a half years is a Kiwi. We are currently living together in England but plan to move back to NZ for good by the end of the year. Ive already had my year's holiday visa in NZ so I am applying for residency under the Family Quota.

My question is: How long does it usually take for the application to go through? The reason I ask is that I am still waiting for police checks to come back before I send my visa application off, and so am a little concerned whether I will get my passport back in time for us to leave by Christmas.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Grant
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration Question

Originally Posted by UKGrant23
I am a British citizen, and my partner of 2 and a half years is a Kiwi. We are currently living together in England but plan to move back to NZ for good by the end of the year. Ive already had my year's holiday visa in NZ so I am applying for residency under the Family Quota.

My question is: How long does it usually take for the application to go through? The reason I ask is that I am still waiting for police checks to come back before I send my visa application off, and so am a little concerned whether I will get my passport back in time for us to leave by Christmas.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Grant
Hi Grant,

Before you get too excited I don't have the answer to your question, but it's just nice to meet someone in the same boat as me. If you want to know our situation read my blog.

I too am waiting on the police check, if it's not back by next Monday then I can chase it, so hopefully will get it this week.

I've yet to even begin to fill in the forms, so best get on with that for when the police check does come.

I would guess it should in theory take less time than a skilled migrant visa or buisness one as it's basically based on your Kiwi sponsoring you? Where are you intending to go & what do you do for a living?

Caroline
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:00 pm
England til I die

Its good to know someone in the same boat. Feel free to email me if you want to exchange advice.

We're intending on going to Wellington. I spent a year there and loved the place and my girlfriends family all live there. I worked for the National Bank whilst over there last but I work in Shopfitting in this country.

Have you had your medical yet?? It's a lot of money to fork out even before you can send your visa application but I'm filled with confidence by the fact the government have just made a decision to loosen the laws with the set number of accepted visa applications in the Family Quota.

I love my job in England and will miss my family and friends but know that theres a better life waiting to happen over there.

QUOTE=Am Loolah]Hi Grant,

Before you get too excited I don't have the answer to your question, but it's just nice to meet someone in the same boat as me. If you want to know our situation read my blog.

I too am waiting on the police check, if it's not back by next Monday then I can chase it, so hopefully will get it this week.

I've yet to even begin to fill in the forms, so best get on with that for when the police check does come.

I would guess it should in theory take less time than a skilled migrant visa or buisness one as it's basically based on your Kiwi sponsoring you? Where are you intending to go & what do you do for a living?

Caroline[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:09 pm

Its good to know someone in the same boat. Feel free to email me if you want to exchange advice.

We're intending on going to Wellington. I spent a year there and loved the place and my girlfriends family all live there. I worked for the National Bank whilst over there last but I work in Shopfitting in this country.

Have you had your medical yet?? It's a lot of money to fork out even before you can send your visa application but I'm filled with confidence by the fact the government have just made a decision to loosen the laws with the set number of accepted visa applications in the Family Quota.

I love my job in England and will miss my family and friends but know that theres a better life waiting to happen over there.

QUOTE=Am Loolah]Hi Grant,

Caroline
[/QUOTE]

God, that's even more spooky - I looked on the National Bank website with regard to jobs as I'm totally unskilled!! Have professional qualification in residential lettings and property management, but it doesn't count over there. It's an area I want to stay in tho.
My hubby was born in Wellington and has family over there. We went on a 3 week tour hols in April/May and couldn't pick any one particular place. Sadly all we saw of Wellington was catching the 2am ferry - so basically just lights!!!
Loved Auckland - but very expensive with kids & dogs etc. So, just because we had to pick a place, decided we want beach lifestyle so looking at Bay of Plenty.
There's just sooo much to organise tho isn't there? How far have you got with removals quotes; selling unwanted stuff; decluttering; car boot sales; rental property etc etc?

Caroline & Dave
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:15 pm
England til I die

I'm not very well organised at all. Luckily my sister and her husband are moving over around the same time so I'm going to ship all my stuff over with hers. He is a tree surgeon so already has a job offer. They've got a 1 year old kid so just want to live somewhere a kid can have a safe upbringing, which unfortunately England can't guarantee.

I've Got no house to sell so thats one less thing to worry about, and we will stay with my partner's parents for a few weeks before we find a place to rent. It's pretty easy once you get there though, or it was last time I was there. Maybe I just fell on my feet.

I'm sure everything will fall into place for you. Bay of plenty looks beautiful although I;ve never been. One place I definately dont want to live is Auckland. Don't know why but I just didn't like the place.

I was looking at my old house on googlemaps the other day.....such a beautful place!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 10:21 pm

I'm not very well organised at all. Luckily my sister and her husband are moving over around the same time so I'm going to ship all my stuff over with hers. He is a tree surgeon so already has a job offer. They've got a 1 year old kid so just want to live somewhere a kid can have a safe upbringing, which unfortunately England can't guarantee.

I've Got no house to sell so thats one less thing to worry about, and we will stay with my partner's parents for a few weeks before we find a place to rent. It's pretty easy once you get there though, or it was last time I was there. Maybe I just fell on my feet.

I'm sure everything will fall into place for you. Bay of plenty looks beautiful although I;ve never been. One place I definately dont want to live is Auckland. Don't know why but I just didn't like the place.

I was looking at my old house on googlemaps the other day.....such a beautful place!!
That's nice that you've got your sister going too - we'll have none of my family out there but all threatening to visit. Unfortunately I don't think a safe upbringing can be guaranteed anywhere - but certainly would appear safer - and better opportunities for "young " families. We have 4 kids so this was a major factor in our decision.

Our problem with finding a rental is going to be 2 dogs, but it's not the end of the world, we'll just try to get them in boarding kennells out there before we find a place to buy.

Our house is due to complete on Wednesday (fingers crossed) and then we have somewhere to live before we go mid-Jan.