Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

immigration help!!! what too do????

immigration help!!! what too do????

Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:45 am
Just Joined

richey83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration help!!! what too do????

hi everyone im new too this and hoping you guys might be able too help some of the questions I have.
im looking too go to new Zealand early next year im an electrician and have been advised that the best place too head for is Christchurch for work. is this the case??
im not sure what is best too do with visas through. I have been quoted £1000 to have a agent too do it for me or should I do it myself?? they said it would be best if I go on a working visa. They will also find me a job which will cost me £2000 for the services. Is this a good price to pay???
However im 29 at the moment and will be turning 30 in October. would it be a better idea if I came on a working holiday visa and look for work when I get there??

thankyou in advanced for any help ........ and I cant wait too get to nz woopwoooop!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration help!!! what too do????

lots of info on electricians coming over on here so use the search button above.

as for agents don't waste your money, easy enough to do it on your own for visa's and getting yourself a job just keep checking on seek.co.nz and tradme.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
lots of info on electricians coming over on here so use the search button above.

as for agents don't waste your money, easy enough to do it on your own for visa's and getting yourself a job just keep checking on seek.co.nz and tradme.
Hi, I would do the research yourself and look at companies who are hiring, short list, visa, rules and what is required, its allot of work but worth it, 7 months of planning, documentation, medicals and police checks and we are finally off in Sept. It also helps you get a feel for NZ too, the more you look the more excited you get.
Dont just look at CC, look also at other areas too.. hope it all goes well for you
sam
Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree, you can do the visa application yourself and save a lot of money.

You'll need a job offer before you can apply for a Work Visa. Electricians are on the Long Term Skills Shortage List and you will need NZ registration- search for EWRB on here to find out about that.

One option is to come over on a WHV and switch to a Work or other visa once you've found a permanent job. It can get you started.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

woohoo thankz guys your help is very appreciated!! I shall be researching more and will defo have more questions for you all!!!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:33 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richey83
They will also find me a job which will cost me £2000 for the services. Is this a good price to pay???
Be weary of this sort of offer from agents. For a work visa you will need a job offer to apply, but I would advise that you don't part with money for the purposes of trusting an agent to find you a job unless its payment on delivery of a job offer and you can afford it.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

From what i have been reading up on here and various other places i feel its better too come on a working holiday visa and find a job once i get too nz.
What do u guys think??

(Sorry about spelling etc im typing this on my phone!!)
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richey83
From what i have been reading up on here and various other places i feel its better too come on a working holiday visa and find a job once i get too nz.
What do u guys think??

(Sorry about spelling etc im typing this on my phone!!)
Richey83 - def the best policy. So much easier once you're here. People will take you for real as well!