British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   immigration agents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/immigration-agents-372051/)

brackley May 7th 2006 12:04 pm

immigration agents

some advise for friends of ours. they are looking to live in nz but would prefer to go through an agent as the guy has no formal carpentry qualifications, which agent would be the best to go through, good and bad experiences please. many thanks

royalsfans May 7th 2006 12:15 pm

Re: immigration agents

Originally Posted by brackley
some advise for friends of ours. they are looking to live in nz but would prefer to go through an agent as the guy has no formal carpentry qualifications, which agent would be the best to go through, good and bad experiences please. many thanks

We have just signed up the The emigration company in chester. They are not as cheap as others (about mid range ) but they are totally taking a good deal of stress away from us. And they do not push for a sale, which i liked.They offer a range of services, so your chums can pick and choose how much help they need.We personally think they are great, I'm sure there will be someone who will disagree. but all i can say is call them all and find out who gives you the best service, can it be proven. Be aware though i'm sure i have read that this industry is completely unlicensed so anyone can call themselves experts.
With all stages of the big move its research research and a bit more research ! research till your eyeballs feel they are going to pop out !!!!!!!! :eek:

kiwichild May 7th 2006 12:29 pm

If the guys work experience and level of competency as a carpenter can be established (eg, via employers past and present, this may help in the application. It might be that he just needs to undergo a period of practical and theory training once in NZ.)

Contacting NZ immigration might save time and money spent on an agent.

Always ask ask ask and get the appropriate documentaion.

dreamfish May 8th 2006 9:06 pm

what do these agents do anyway?

i just figured they help you complete forms (correctly), organise containers and give advice on nice areas to live?

they can do the job thing for you too then?

simon-nall May 11th 2006 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by royalsfans
We have just signed up the The emigration company in chester. They are not as cheap as others (about mid range ) but they are totally taking a good deal of stress away from us. And they do not push for a sale, which i liked.They offer a range of services, so your chums can pick and choose how much help they need.We personally think they are great, I'm sure there will be someone who will disagree. but all i can say is call them all and find out who gives you the best service, can it be proven. Be aware though i'm sure i have read that this industry is completely unlicensed so anyone can call themselves experts.
With all stages of the big move its research research and a bit more research ! research till your eyeballs feel they are going to pop out !!!!!!!! :eek:

i have look at a lot of immigration company's and the all seem to quote the same prices. it seem to me from previous Expats some people have good and bad experiences. All the best and let us know how you get on as I'm still looking and my eye ball are still in my head

tezzabart May 12th 2006 9:20 am

we moved to NZ nearly three years ago now and used an agency to get our residency,Four Corners as I recall,Its down to personal choice but we had not found this site when we signed up with them and maybe would have thought twice if we had read some of the things we did later.
Our view is that you will do all the leg work and there is a lot of it and they will keep asking for more info and more info,we thought we had enough to put to the immigration people and they would not submit it until we got yet another bit of info, it seemed to drag on for ever.
the reason they wanted to be sure we would succeed is they would have to give back money if they failed.
We could have done it all ourselves ,we did do it all ,they just passed it on and that cost us nearly three grand,plus the 3 months I recon they delayed us getting here.
oh when they finally did submit our application we got our residency oked in less than 2 weeks but that was down to our hard work not there's ,so really think about it before parting with your cash!
By the way NZ is great we are now about 1983 but catching up you will know what I mean when you get here

isv May 12th 2006 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish
what do these agents do anyway?

i just figured they help you complete forms (correctly), organise containers and give advice on nice areas to live?

they can do the job thing for you too then?

For most people I don't think agents provide anything you could not do yourself. At the end of the day most of the hassle in getting a visa is hunting down required paperwork (business accounts, birth/marriage certs, qualifications etc.) and an agent won't make that any easier.

I've said it many times but so long as you're prepared to invest the time there's no reason why you cannot do it all yourself. Read the manuals the immigration officers work from and you'll know clearly what they're looking for.

I was quoted up to £13,000 for my business investors visa from several of the established agents. I then invested a day readiing the NZIS manuals and decided I could do it myself. I saved a fortune. There is no way their fee was justified IMO.

Alan.