Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Wellington

Immigrating to Wellington

Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

michelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant futuremichelle miller has a brilliant future
Smile Immigrating to Wellington

Hi there.First time on site so hope there is someone who can help. My wife and i have been going through all the books and guides as we have decided to make the big move to New Zealand,hopefully next summer,if there is such a thing in Scotland.We live in Newtongrange just outside Edinburgh.We have our eye on going to Wellington as it seems to tick all our boxes.I am a storeman in the railways but a bookbinder and print finisher to trade.My wifes a social care worker.We have a consultation booked for 2hrs with a representative from the immigration group on 30th August to shed some more light on things.So looking forward to it now cant wait to get the ball rolling.If there is anyone who can help us with locations or any other useful tips or advice we would be so grateful.Best wishes John Miller.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to Wellington

Originally Posted by michelle miller
Hi there.First time on site so hope there is someone who can help. My wife and i have been going through all the books and guides as we have decided to make the big move to New Zealand,hopefully next summer,if there is such a thing in Scotland.We live in Newtongrange just outside Edinburgh.We have our eye on going to Wellington as it seems to tick all our boxes.I am a storeman in the railways but a bookbinder and print finisher to trade.My wifes a social care worker.We have a consultation booked for 2hrs with a representative from the immigration group on 30th August to shed some more light on things.So looking forward to it now cant wait to get the ball rolling.If there is anyone who can help us with locations or any other useful tips or advice we would be so grateful.Best wishes John Miller.
Do NOT part with any money to the Immigration Group whoever they are. Have a good look on the NZIS website..there are minimum salary requirements...etc etc...calculate your points.....you don't need to pay a consultant to determine whether it's a goer for you as a couple.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

As above - moving to NZ costs a lot so use the websites available. Have you looked into going to any of the immigration roadshows?

Secondly, I'm assuming you've been to NZ? (sorry if it's stating the obvious) A reccie is a must for seeing places and deciding where suits you. We went over for a reccie in Feb and loved Wellington (and didn't like Auckland!) but it's not for everyone (especially the unbelievable wind and hills). Finally trademe.co.nz is great for property details.

Good luck and happy researching!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:33 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all

Hiya,
We are just coming to end of our immigration process. We started last Aug. We haven't used an agency for emigration, we got told (by the emigration people) that we would have no chance of getting in if we didn't use someone like them. Twelve months later we are just getting our work to residence visa through the skilled migrant catergory. We have found the whole process very enlightening and we are also moving to the Wellington side. Take a look at Whitby, Plimmerton area. Seems very nice and only about 20 mins or so from centre of Wellington. This website is brilliant for finding every last detail you need to know (no matter how small you think the question is). Hope this helps

Dawn
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I was also told by an immigration company 2years ago, that I would never be eligible for residency in NZ but here I am with PR in Wellington! I did all my own paperwork with the help of the forums and personal research.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by michelle miller

I would echo what everybody else has said. We did it ourselves and are flying to Auckland next Thursday One big reason we decided to it ourselves was an acquaintance who was emigrating to Aus used an agent, he's a trained electrician and is not able to work in Aus as an electrician because the agent messed up on his electrical registration. He now has to start from the beginning. I can't think of anything worse than paying someone who doesn't do their job properly and you end up not getting what you think you've paid for.

You really can do it on your own - ask away - there'll always be someone to answer your question.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:25 pm
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Hi John, told you there would be loads of good info and advice from folks on BE.

GAZ
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:45 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just suggest, if you do pay money to an emigration consultant (and it appears the best thing is to not go down that track) who forwards your CV along to employers that you enquire as to how they do so.

My current task I am trying to battle through at work (hence why i am here at 7pm...grrr) is processing around 80 cv's for one job. A fair number are from consulants - unsolicited.

As a general rule, my workplace, like many others will not accept unsolicited emails from employment consultants due to the fees they charge us. It so happens that we wouldn't be paying a fee to these particular agents (as they get their money from their clients...ie you) but honestly, if I wasn't spending waaay to much time reading each and every detail in their letters I wouldn't have noticed the little line (on one page out of 8) advising that. Put simply - the CV wouldn't generally be looked at.

It also didn't help that the agent sending the CV on obviously was using a form letter and which wasn't quite relevant to the position.

In short, it looked rather unprofessional and i felt a bit sorry for the person paying money to the company if that is how they forwarded CV's and introduced themselves and the client.

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Aug 21st 2008 at 6:47 am. Reason: gramma is well bad
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora and a belated warm welcome to this little NZ forum. Ask away & Happy postings .

ps

Do not pay over loads of dosh to any consultant until you know something of the emigration process and therefore know what you are paying for.

pps
have some newbie karma.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Immigrating to Wellington

Well I'll add my bit of advice is if I can get the paper work done for a work permit, (mind you not the sharpest pencil in the box)LOL.

Anybody can just print of all the advice immergration NZ does and read it carefully and you can't go wrong.

My work permit on took a week to get once I had all relivent info for them, so like I said paper work is not that hard.

So like all others has said save your cash for a good lash(Booze you before you go)LOL.

Good Luck

Stan