Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Immigrating with pets

Immigrating with pets

Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice
Default Immigrating with pets

Hi, my family and my fiance and I are planning to Immigrate to New Zealand. Still in the process of gathering information to see if it's actually possible for us etc.

My question is about my chinchillas, I have emailed the NZ embassy and they confirmed that chinchillas are permitted in NZ as long as they have the right paperwork.

I have read a few posts on here about Jets4Pets and other shippers and my question is...the carriers that they put pets in are made of wood..now, chinchillas love wood and would easily chew their way through that box in a 36 odd hour flight, so would they use different boxes for chinchillas?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating with pets

Although chinchillas might be "allowed", can you import them? For example rabbits are an allowed pet but there is no import except from Australia.

To import a pet it needs to have medical clearance against listed diseases. If this has not been done for the chinchilla by MAF, you can't bring them. I know this as we had to leave a beautiful African Grey parrot behind in the UK for the very same reasons
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

Yep they are permitted for importation.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/personal/pets

That website tells you, plus there is an Import Health Standard document on them.

Chinchillas are only allowed to be imported from the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Try giving Golden Arrow a ring. They export all sorts of pets to all sorts of places. Tel 01588 680240
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

petshipper is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
Hi, my family and my fiance and I are planning to Immigrate to New Zealand. Still in the process of gathering information to see if it's actually possible for us etc.

My question is about my chinchillas, I have emailed the NZ embassy and they confirmed that chinchillas are permitted in NZ as long as they have the right paperwork.

I have read a few posts on here about Jets4Pets and other shippers and my question is...the carriers that they put pets in are made of wood..now, chinchillas love wood and would easily chew their way through that box in a 36 odd hour flight, so would they use different boxes for chinchillas?
Hello again Sweet Stacey,

The boxes we would use are mesh lined, so no chance for those furry chewing critter to escape on route, Hope this helps. <snip>

Last edited by Am Loolah; Feb 24th 2010 at 10:13 pm. Reason: We recommend you don't post contact details on the main forum but use the PM facility.