British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I'm so freaking bored.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/im-so-freaking-bored-739655/)

UKNZAUS Nov 21st 2011 11:13 pm

I'm so freaking bored....

been in NZ now for 4 and a half years. I settled us all in and did everything paperwork wise to sort out our new lives for the first year and looked after our 1&2yr olds, then studied for the next 3 and a half years...

Now I've finished my studies and job hunting, I'm so freaking bored!! There are only so many teaching jobs in Auckland and those are few and far between with around 100+ applications per position, so I'm lucky if I even hear back from most of them.

So far today I've been and done the food shop, made a massive pot of home-made lemonade, carrot cakes, 3 different types of salad, brownies (not the dodgy kind!)...

I neeeeeed a job, and fast! I'm not used to having nothing to do. How do people cope that are out of work...???

Edited to add: Now I've got the dinner on too... Oh Lord I need a job faster than I realised. I'm turning all domesticated

Charismatic Nov 22nd 2011 12:31 am

Re: I'm so freaking bored....

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9746925)
How do people cope that are out of work...???

Grow marajuana and live on 'd benefits. I was the same place for a while cuz.

I don't know if anyone else realises this but everyone wants to hire experience. The way graduates get experience however is by being hired and the reason they want to get hired is to get experience :lol:.

sheene Nov 22nd 2011 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9746925)
been in NZ now for 4 and a half years. I settled us all in and did everything paperwork wise to sort out our new lives for the first year and looked after our 1&2yr olds, then studied for the next 3 and a half years...

Now I've finished my studies and job hunting, I'm so freaking bored!! There are only so many teaching jobs in Auckland and those are few and far between with around 100+ applications per position, so I'm lucky if I even hear back from most of them.

So far today I've been and done the food shop, made a massive pot of home-made lemonade, carrot cakes, 3 different types of salad, brownies (not the dodgy kind!)...

I neeeeeed a job, and fast! I'm not used to having nothing to do. How do people cope that are out of work...???

Edited to add: Now I've got the dinner on too... Oh Lord I need a job faster than I realised. I'm turning all domesticated

I was never quite sure what they were looking for, and in the end gave up.

You could try approaching a school, ask to see the principal, and let him look through your CV / application letter to see if there is something putting people off, or how you could make it more 'attractive'.

Try AGS - I know the principal and deputies and they do a lot of recruiting from the UK, so would be in a good position to look over it for you - it is quite a busy time of year, so you may have to ask really nicely. Better still, initially try emailing the principal (email address on their website).

UKNZAUS Nov 22nd 2011 2:39 am

It's not 'what' you know, it's 'who' you know ;)

Then again, not even knowing someone got me an interview :sneaky:

UKNZAUS Nov 22nd 2011 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sheene (Post 9747215)
I was never quite sure what they were looking for, and in the end gave up.

You could try approaching a school, ask to see the principal, and let him look through your CV / application letter to see if there is something putting people off, or how you could make it more 'attractive'.

Try AGS - I know the principal and deputies and they do a lot of recruiting from the UK, so would be in a good position to look over it for you - it is quite a busy time of year, so you may have to ask really nicely. Better still, initially try emailing the principal (email address on their website).

Been there, done that. CV is of a high standard according to the Principal's and DP's that I've chatted to. It's just the fact that I'm not 'experienced' and the amount of applicants. I'm a qualified ECE and Primary teacher

Charismatic Nov 22nd 2011 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9747236)
It's just the fact that I'm not 'experienced' and the amount of applicants.

Do you suppose there was a moment when Neil Armstrong was interviewing to join NASA and they said “So tell me Mr. Armstrong, I notice you have no previous experience flying moon landers and you’ve never even been outside of earth’s atmosphere. So what makes you think you’d be suitable for this position?”

UKNZAUS Nov 22nd 2011 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9747259)
Do you suppose there was a moment when Neil Armstrong was interviewing to join NASA and they said “So tell me Mr. Armstrong, I notice you have no previous experience flying moon landers and you’ve never even been outside of earth’s atmosphere. So what makes you think you’d be suitable for this position?”

Do you think he could still answer that question? Conspiracy theories and all that...

It's all down to volunteering I have been told. Yes, I'm willing to work for schools for free so that you don't have to blow your budget :sneaky: I also just fell off that banana boat over yonder. I've started putting my name down for relief teaching to get a PAID foot in the door

KiwiAz Jan 14th 2012 7:41 am

Move to Christchurch... just keeping the dinner on the stove becomes a challenge

UKNZAUS Jan 15th 2012 6:45 pm

Never fear, I landed myself an AWESOME job with excellent pay rates and I can take my kids with me in the school holidays so I don't have to take unpaid time off :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat094 Jan 15th 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9843601)
Never fear, I landed myself an AWESOME job with excellent pay rates and I can take my kids with me in the school holidays so I don't have to take unpaid time off :thumbsup:

That's brilliant Michelle. Many congratulations :drinkwine:

Charismatic Jan 15th 2012 9:08 pm

Beats having to leave the kids tied up at home :thumbsup:.

Snap Shot Jan 15th 2012 9:11 pm

Well done Michelle. I'm still looking for work and still bored without any. I've become domesticated and even taken an interest in gardening !

UKNZAUS Jan 15th 2012 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9843838)
Beats having to leave the kids tied up at home :thumbsup:.

It sure does ;)

UKNZAUS Jan 15th 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie (Post 9843846)
Well done Michelle. I'm still looking for work and still bored without any. I've become domesticated and even taken an interest in gardening !

It's hard but I got on the blower and started calling everyone asking for a job, relief work or full time. Interviewed 3 hours after phone call, job offer two days later :thumbnail:

Bo-Jangles Jan 17th 2012 9:37 am

Nice one Michelle, congratulations!! :thumbsup: