I'm in Scotland!

Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:41 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm in Scotland!

I arrived a few days ago after a rather spectacular flight courtesy of Emirates.
It's lovely to see all my family, especially my wee nephew who I'd never met. I've bathed him and given him lots of cuddles much to his disgust! I'm sure he's wondering who this stranger is that keeps sticking a camera in his face. they even dressed him in his wee All Blacks top so I would feel at home!

I'm purposely having a quiet family trip ( parents paid for my flight!) and it's great.

Ok things I've noticed ~

It's much warmer than I expected even in the north of Scotland!

There seems to me a million more cars on the road than there used to be.

For a non lover of shopping I have been shopping almost every day since I got here - choice choice choice. Cheap cheap cheap! Who cares if they fall apart after a few months : I'll need another bag for the flight home but as this will probably be the only shopping I do for the next few years...

Shop assistants are incredibly friendly and chatty but I am having terrible trouble with the Aberdeen accent - even though I was born here and lived here for the first 20 years of my life!

Cars are more flash!

I've turned off the central heating in my bedroom as its horrible.

From what I can see the recession doesn't seem to have really hit Aberdeen much, not really empty shops, restaurants all seem busy enough etc. I think it's always been a bit sheltered because of the oil.

People certainly seem in more of a rush, but I'm guessing I was like that too when I lived here.

Jet lag is a bugger

web cams are wonderful ( I left hubby at home and am missing him loads but time difference makes it easy to talk twice a day)

I'm off to Glasgow at the weekend and as I lived there for the last 15 years before moving to NZ it'll be interesting to see what it's like now.

But I have to say I am really enjoying my trip.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:17 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm in Scotland!

Sounds like you are having a really good trip
Enjoy all of it and the precious time with the relatives. Hope the rest of your trip is just as enjoyable.

I think the weak £ is probably helping with the shopping .Supermarkets have some amazing quality clothes that will not fall apart at some rock bottom prices.

How long has it been since you got back?

Dewb
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:07 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I got a t-shirt for 50p today!

I've been back since Friday, last time I was over was 2 years ago and we've been in NZ for almost 5. I'm only over for 2 weeks so it's flying past

thanks dewb, I am having a lovely time.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pixi-dust,

Nice to read that you are having a lovely time. Good post x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:22 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

hey there Pixi-Dust...welcome back to UK!
Must be very special meeting your nephew!
Enjoy spending time with your folks and the shopping!!
By the way ...love your blog!
lol B x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Glad to hear you had a good journey and you are enjoying bonny Scotland hope you have a fab 2 wks x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pixi

say hello to dear old Glasgow toon for me!! As a Scot who also did not enjoy shopping at home I now realise what I am missing re clothes for the kids from Tesco and Asda etc. Enjoy your trip and would love to hear more how you got on in my home town. My sister lives just outside Aberdeen in Cruden Bay but works at the college as a lecturer so I used to love to visit the granite city.

Phyl x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:45 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi Pixi

say hello to dear old Glasgow toon for me!! As a Scot who also did not enjoy shopping at home I now realise what I am missing re clothes for the kids from Tesco and Asda etc. Enjoy your trip and would love to hear more how you got on in my home town. My sister lives just outside Aberdeen in Cruden Bay but works at the college as a lecturer so I used to love to visit the granite city.

Phyl x

Hiya Pixi. Wow, so lovely to hear stories of people returning home, must be soooo great!!!! especially to see your baby nephew have a fab trip and take in and enjoy every minute of it

Tina. x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy - it will go so fast....I had a great trip back to South of England a few months ago....during UK Summer ....even though coffee had improved..it still didn't really come up to Wellington standards anywhere..but everything else seemed fine and dandy. If I were you, I would stay off the internet - you can waste time online when back in NZ .
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:00 am
A land far far away

thanks everyone!

I'll say hello to Glasgow - looking forward to that.

thanks for liking my blog!

We're off out for a drive today ( in the rain!) will go up Royal Deeside, can't get much more Scottish that that! hoots!

oddly I am missing my veggie garden
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Get off the internet. The weeds will grow anyway.