Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I'm off back to blighty next month................

I'm off back to blighty next month................

Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: I'm off back to blighty next month................

Originally Posted by zaras dad
..so not exciting then. Scary monsters perhaps?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Hotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura aboutHotpots has a spectacular aura about

Good luck Zara's dad, I hope things work out for you.

You'll be able to watch the beautiful game at a decent hour

Keep us posted as to your progress
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

I wasnt selected.

I passed the aptitude testing (6 hours of various computer tests) and out of the 29 starters, 20 passed.

After spending the next day (day 3 of 4) doing a Group discussion, group planning exercise, 5 hangar leadership exercises, a leaderless exercise and an individual planning exercise - they called out 10 names to go on to the medical, physical and interview on the friday.....and I wasnt one of them. (since found out that 1 of the 10 guys went on to fail his medical and the remaining 9 have to wait 3 weeks + to see how they pit against other applicants and then their results compete for the relatively few places on offer)

As you may guess I'm absolutely devastated. I spent soooooo much time,effort,study,money and physical endurance over the last year and I didnt even get the chance to impress at the interview stage which wouldve included impressing on my knowledge of current affairs (had to know 10 stories inside out from the last year, half from the Uk and half international), RAF and NATO Knowledge plus all about myself,motivations and history.

Add to that the race against time to be able to manage 18 press-ups in a minute as part of the physical, after tearing a ligament between the scaphoid and lunate bones in my wrist. (the cast came off a few days before I flew to the UK so recovery time was going to be close)

So that is that. As I was given an age waiver for the the trade of Direct entry ATC there isnt any point in considering re-applying in 12 months (the minimum time allowed between attempts) as another year older makes it a non starter. Add to that - I have no desire to go through that process all over again - It was a very stressful, physically and mentally demanding experience and if I'm not good enough for them now (despite my efforts and prior service) I certainly wouldnt put myself or my family through that again.

As you can imagine Zaras mum is missing little John something chronic (he came up with me and grandparents looked after him) and 4 weeks is a long time between hugs. We fly on thursday and get back to Auckland on saturday.

I was 15 stone about a week before the selection centre and weighed in half a stone lighter when I got back - Have managed to nearly rectify that with beer and kebabs over the weekend (it had been a long time coming)

What do i do next? Well, in the short term its back to daddy day care where Ill de-jet-lag and let the dust settle, watch some TV, avoid the news (as Ive been glued to it for the last 6 months) and then start thinking and looking at what (if any) career opportunities I could tackle that would give me something Id be interested in. As my wife has a very good job in Auckland it would be very brave to jack it in to head back to the UK with no job to goto so for now I'll focus my efforts on something in NZ. It goes without saying my folks were hoping Id get in so theyd see alot more of us and the kids

If you can think of any jobs/careers that might float my boat in New Zealand please let me know (dont say police cos Id rather gouge my eyes out).I dont have any degrees but am going to consider roles that involve study/courses. The usual suggestions of plumber and electrician have been bandied about (seems to be in need trades in the UK but Im not so sure there is the work to justify it in NZ) I was told that the positive attributes they gleaned from my aptitude tests and time there included -

Excellent Numercial Reasoning skills
High attentional capability skills
High workrate (eg multi tasking exercises where 3+ tasks had to performed simultaneously)
A team player who physically contributed to the cause (I sweated buckets)

Shame that wasn't enough............
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Gutted for you - I'll be keeping fingers crossed that there is something just around the corner for you in NZ.

In terms of career ideas, have you tried some of the online psychometric tests? I know that for the most part they are rubbish, but some of them throw up career choices at the end which can be a bit off the wall and at least give you some new things to consider?

For what it's worth, your work character traits sound to me like you should be working at the stock exchange or summit fast paced like that! I know THIS won't be exactly it, but maybe that sort of thing that offers training? Just a thought.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:16 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

DonĀ“t know if you are at all qualified for civvie air traffic control?

If not then you would seem suited to a high-pressure, 3D, time critical multi-tasking environment (with human life at stake), so perhaps look at careers involving (some of) those aspects (IĀ“m assuming here you were looking at returning to ATC??)

Perhaps something in logistics coordination???
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

I dont know what to say, what a man you are, what strength and determination, I wish there was something I could do for you. If you would like to meet up (again) for a few beers and a chat then please feel free to contact me, Im free the weekend after Easter.
Sometimes its good to talk with someone on the outside.
Wishing you a good flight, hope to see you soon.

John.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm shocked. I actually can't believe that you didn't get in.

So sorry to read this mate. I really am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I'm off back to blighty next month................

Have you thought about something to do with border control in NZ customs officer etc? May not be any use but heres the link to thier website.
http://www.customs.govt.nz/about/Car...ms+Officer.htm
Cheers and good luck with whatever you do.
Cally
Originally Posted by zaras dad
I wasnt selected.

I passed the aptitude testing (6 hours of various computer tests) and out of the 29 starters, 20 passed.

After spending the next day (day 3 of 4) doing a Group discussion, group planning exercise, 5 hangar leadership exercises, a leaderless exercise and an individual planning exercise - they called out 10 names to go on to the medical, physical and interview on the friday.....and I wasnt one of them. (since found out that 1 of the 10 guys went on to fail his medical and the remaining 9 have to wait 3 weeks + to see how they pit against other applicants and then their results compete for the relatively few places on offer)

As you may guess I'm absolutely devastated. I spent soooooo much time,effort,study,money and physical endurance over the last year and I didnt even get the chance to impress at the interview stage which wouldve included impressing on my knowledge of current affairs (had to know 10 stories inside out from the last year, half from the Uk and half international), RAF and NATO Knowledge plus all about myself,motivations and history.

Add to that the race against time to be able to manage 18 press-ups in a minute as part of the physical, after tearing a ligament between the scaphoid and lunate bones in my wrist. (the cast came off a few days before I flew to the UK so recovery time was going to be close)

So that is that. As I was given an age waiver for the the trade of Direct entry ATC there isnt any point in considering re-applying in 12 months (the minimum time allowed between attempts) as another year older makes it a non starter. Add to that - I have no desire to go through that process all over again - It was a very stressful, physically and mentally demanding experience and if I'm not good enough for them now (despite my efforts and prior service) I certainly wouldnt put myself or my family through that again.

As you can imagine Zaras mum is missing little John something chronic (he came up with me and grandparents looked after him) and 4 weeks is a long time between hugs. We fly on thursday and get back to Auckland on saturday.

I was 15 stone about a week before the selection centre and weighed in half a stone lighter when I got back - Have managed to nearly rectify that with beer and kebabs over the weekend (it had been a long time coming)

What do i do next? Well, in the short term its back to daddy day care where Ill de-jet-lag and let the dust settle, watch some TV, avoid the news (as Ive been glued to it for the last 6 months) and then start thinking and looking at what (if any) career opportunities I could tackle that would give me something Id be interested in. As my wife has a very good job in Auckland it would be very brave to jack it in to head back to the UK with no job to goto so for now I'll focus my efforts on something in NZ. It goes without saying my folks were hoping Id get in so theyd see alot more of us and the kids

If you can think of any jobs/careers that might float my boat in New Zealand please let me know (dont say police cos Id rather gouge my eyes out).I dont have any degrees but am going to consider roles that involve study/courses. The usual suggestions of plumber and electrician have been bandied about (seems to be in need trades in the UK but Im not so sure there is the work to justify it in NZ) I was told that the positive attributes they gleaned from my aptitude tests and time there included -

Excellent Numercial Reasoning skills
High attentional capability skills
High workrate (eg multi tasking exercises where 3+ tasks had to performed simultaneously)
A team player who physically contributed to the cause (I sweated buckets)

Shame that wasn't enough............
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ian, sorry you didn't get through mate and at least get to dazzle them at an interview. At least this means that there may be a another chance to share a beer or three with you as I again missed your Viaduct drinks before you left.

Have a safe journey and hope to see you soon.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Awww I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you
Fingers crossed something will turn up for you soon

Annie
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

DonĀ“t know if you are at all qualified for civvie air traffic control?
Been there tried that in May 2008 with Airways NZ in christchurch. Got canned half way through the course - hence another stab at it this time with the RAF but wasnt selected for the final stage of Occifer/Sergeant selection................despite passing tests twice !!

At least this means that there may be a another chance to share a beer or three with you as I again missed your Viaduct drinks before you left.
There will be other opportunities

Have you thought about something to do with border control in NZ customs officer etc?
Did actually look into that in early 2009 but nothing came of it. I'll have a look at the link tho thanks

I dont know what to say, what a man you are, what strength and determination, I wish there was something I could do for you.
Next weeks Lottery numbers? Prime benefacter of your will

As for strength and determination - I can only take so many setbacks. Its affecting me and my family. I can't settle because I can't find a career that will keep me going (I know there are many people out there in jobs they dont want to be in but have to out of necessity - I've been there and done that. Is it too much to find a job where you get out of what you put in? And Im not talking about sales..... )
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

If you were still in the UK this weekend I could have given you the winning numbers your Saturday morning!! but your coming back.
I do understand where you are coming from on the career front, Im not going to start suggesting things on here that I think you should do as I know you are very capable of thinking of things yourself. What rocks one mans boat doesnt rock anothers.
I have been in a similar situation many times in my life and its hard to know which way to turn, you only live this life once and we need to have a feeling of self worth for our life to mean anything.
Im sure you wont give up, like I said I know you have great strength. Its easy for me to say but try not to give yourself to much of a hard time.
I now have started a career after spending six months at home thinking what I was going to do, I have started right at the bottom and its hard, I hope I made the right move, but hey its a start.
A brainstorming beer or two I think is needed here, when you get back and settled lets chat after the Easter weekend.
Oh and by the way, if you were the sole benificary to my will right now you would owe a fortune!!
Take care mate, your not alone.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear that you didn't get selected but I wish you luck in finding something that you enjoy and find worthwhile as a career here in NZ. Stay strong for your lovely family and try to enjoy all the good things that New Zealand has to offer.

Kia Kaha
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers for that.

John and I got back yesterday so once Ive got over the jetlag and chilled out for a bit I'll organise another BE meet up with $4 drinks on the agenda