Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I'm going to (try) and set up my own business!

I'm going to (try) and set up my own business!

Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Talking I'm going to (try) and set up my own business!

Hi all

Not been here much recently as now I can drive, I'm never in

Anyhoo - I've been taking kids out lots, but it costs a fortune, and decided what business I'd like to start up! I'm a Registered Childminder so work with kids - I'm going to open up a Soft Play centre!

I've started my idea's scrapbook - come up with loads of fab idea's (I'm biased i know hehe) for children of all ages! Carl is behind me 100% and will help me do my business plan yay!

Oooh I'm sooooooo excited - now just to get out there and start it all

Michelle xx
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:51 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm going to (try) and set up my own business!

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi all

Not been here much recently as now I can drive, I'm never in

Anyhoo - I've been taking kids out lots, but it costs a fortune, and decided what business I'd like to start up! I'm a Registered Childminder so work with kids - I'm going to open up a Soft Play centre!

I've started my idea's scrapbook - come up with loads of fab idea's (I'm biased i know hehe) for children of all ages! Carl is behind me 100% and will help me do my business plan yay!

Oooh I'm sooooooo excited - now just to get out there and start it all

Michelle xx
Here or NZ?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Here or NZ?
New Zealand!

Not staying here longer than necessary Just need to get out there and I can start my research ...
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:59 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand!

Not staying here longer than necessary Just need to get out there and I can start my research ...

Do I dare mention the house????
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:03 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Michelle. Tbh, there's something about this country (and you're not even here yet ) that spurs people on and accomplish things they never would have even thought about doing before NZ.

How IS the house sale coming along?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Weeeeeelllllllllllllll

We had a viewer in on Saturday (and alllllll her family!) who wants to buy and rent out ... great! Anyhow, she really loves the size of house and the fact downstairs is modern with laminate flooring right through house, but kids have blue and pink rooms (Thomas Tank & Disney Princess hehe) so she's got to bring her fella back with her (YAY A 2ND VIEWING!!!) to price up how much it will cost to neutralise house and see if it's worth it ?!

Soooooo, just waiting for her to arrange another appointment - but she has to drive 2-3 hours to get here! Will let you know when I know

Thanks for asking x

Michelle xx

PS: I've always wanted to start my own business but didn't want to do it here! Something just told me not to - probably cause I knew I wouldn't be here forever!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:09 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand!

Do a search of some of my very early threads, you might find something there on this subject. I looked into this about 3 years ago and decided against it.

In fact someone on here a couple of weeks ago was looking into it. Have a trawl
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Do a search of some of my very early threads, you might find something there on this subject. I looked into this about 3 years ago and decided against it.

In fact someone on here a couple of weeks ago was looking into it. Have a trawl

I don't know how! Good job looking after kids doesn't require too much technical knowledge! I was searching and getting all sorts of threads - but nothing to do with running a business
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:11 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how! Good job looking after kids doesn't require too much technical knowledge! I was searching and getting all sorts of threads - but nothing to do with running a business

MIchelle

Do an advanced search on soft play
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:20 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
MIchelle

Do an advanced search on soft play

Have had a look too since we also considered it a couple of years ago, but can't find any posts by Jack on this forum. Jack, are you sure it was on the NZ forum on this website? If so - help please?

Carmen.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hey Carmen

glad it's not just me then lol

So what were you thinking of doing? Has it resurfaced again? oooh i'm nosey!

Michelle x
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:12 pm
Banned

Just back from work.

I was trying to find them myself. It was when we (for 2 days) thought of going to OZ a few years ago. Come to think of it they may just have been PM's between me and ......cannot remember who. Give me a few mins and I will have another look
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:49 pm
Banned

Poo. I cannot find it either

Long ans short of it was that it was going to be too risky. Something to do with the fact that the Kiwi lifestyle was more geared up to outside and not indoor things. Also the cost involved was high compared to what you would need take (daily ect.) to recoup your investment never mind make anything from it.

I liked the idea as our kids love them. Thing is one of the reasons for us moving is so that they can have more of a "outdoor lifestyle".

Anyway sorry for putting a dampner on it for you but if you do go ahead good luck

PS If the name comes to me I will post it. I do know his name was Eric but he didnt post under that and he lives(lived) in Brisbane and was a retired accountant.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:49 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

....but kids have blue and pink rooms (Thomas Tank & Disney Princess hehe) so she's got to bring her fella back with her (YAY A 2ND VIEWING!!!) to price up how much it will cost to neutralise house and see if it's worth it ?!
....PS: I've always wanted to start my own business but didn't want to do it here! Something just told me not to - probably cause I knew I wouldn't be here forever!
mmm....thought about my own business in NZ before we arrived.....now been here for nearly 2 months and are *much* less keen on it, hence have accepted a job offer ---- anything to get away from being a full-time house-hubby (I now know where some of the house-hubs/babes who have posted -ve things on this forum about NZ life for them are coming from.......but hey we are surviving and planning the next 2 years, so it can't be TOO bad!!).
As far as the play barn/soft play thing goes there is one just off the northern m/way close to Albany that I have noticed, north of "North Harbour Drive" exit - never been in but seen the signs - others may know more, or could investigate with our 18mnth old if you like. BTW, health and safety for kids is not as high on the agenda here (understatement alert!!) as in the UK!!
As regards changing the colour scheme in the house - our Kiwi(!!) tenants in UK wanted the nursery changed from baby blue with Mama's&Papa's border (tastefully matched to some timberwork in pale yellow - and ruddy hard work before Lardy MkII arrived I must say) changed to magnolia, handyman up street did it for 100 notes including materials, and that to me sounds like a good investment if you are keen on selling!!
Good luck to ya and to all of us struggling (to one degree or another) to come to terms with the culture/lifestyle shock of being a trainee kiwi........

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 8th 2007 at 3:43 pm. Reason: duped by a dupe
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:17 pm
Banned

I remember

It was ABCDiamond and I think we figured it out at a start up costing of between £110,000 and £125,000.

Im not too sure if we also hit a snag with insurances too. I really cannot remember.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.