British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   I'm going to shoot someone ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/im-going-shoot-someone-436150/)

Fireman Al Mar 21st 2007 9:19 am

I'm going to shoot someone !

Hey,
Just got to have a rant !
Had a call today from MAF regarding our container, they want to charge us $1200 due to one of the boxes being infected with bird stuff. WHAT BIRDS !!!
Turns out the box contains my tools.......how the bloody hell are they infected, they never live outside, always inside.
They want to charge $600 for emptying the container, $240 odd for spraying the said box, and the rest on something else but wasn't paying attention at that point, how the hell did they pull that one, infected by birds...what crap !!!

Al.:curse: :wub:

Gonzo Mar 21st 2007 9:44 am

Re: I'm going to shoot someone !

I sympathise, but ...at least you've got your stuff. We left our stuff with the shippers in the UK at the end of December and we still haven't seen it:huh:. They originally told us mid-Feb, then it was supposed to arrive last week, and haven't heard anything since ....

If after all that I then have to pay for some sort of poncy decontamination, as you do, I'm going to $%&#ing lose it.

karonious Mar 21st 2007 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Fireman Al (Post 4541533)
Hey,
Had a call today from MAF regarding our container, they want to charge us $1200 due to one of the boxes being infected with bird stuff. WHAT BIRDS !!!
Turns out the box contains my tools.......how the bloody hell are they infected, they never live outside, always inside.
They want to charge $600 for emptying the container, $240 odd for spraying the said box, and the rest on something else but wasn't paying attention at that point, how the hell did they pull that one, infected by birds...what crap !!!

That's not good Al. Commiserations :ohmy:
Can you do anything about it? No such thing as a 2nd opinion I guess?
Karen B

Maz Mar 21st 2007 4:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Al. :( Is there any kind of appeal you can make? Hubby has thousands of dollars' worth of tools that he uses exclusively inside, too. That doesn't bode well. :(

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4542919)
I'm sorry to hear that Al. :( Is there any kind of appeal you can make? Hubby has thousands of dollars' worth of tools that he uses exclusively inside, too. That doesn't bode well. :(

We secified tools on our itinerary for the shippers and MAF wanted to inspect but after inspection they decided they didn't need to spray them so only cost us $160.00 for the inspection.

Am Loolah Mar 22nd 2007 12:30 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4543475)
We secified tools on our itinerary for the shippers and MAF wanted to inspect but after inspection they decided they didn't need to spray them so only cost us $160.00 for the inspection.

I am so confused. It seems some people have their stuff delivered and a couple of boxes put to one side, then someone from MAF comes & inspects these boxes marked with "Tent" or "Golf Clubs" etc ???

Others have container left at port before it can be delivered to their home because MAF want to inspect & charge copious/dubious amounts for spraying etc? (birds?Spiders?Que?)

Then others have no container show up?!:eek:

Can someone talk me through the norm of what happens & how you are notified when your container arrives please?:confused:

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 22nd 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 4544866)
Can someone talk me through the norm of what happens & how you are notified when your container arrives please?:confused:

It seems that it depends on who you ship with, and how MAFF and Customs are feeling on the day that your shipment arrived.

What should happen if you arrange door to door shipping is:
* Shipping firm rep visits your home, takes careful note of all the items you intend to ship, measuring large items, and guestimating on smaller ones. Then talks you through how they work, who they use at your point of arrival (usually a local firm they appoint to act for them), and what their insurance covers. Insurance is usually based on a % of the total value of your shipment i.e. 3% - a value that you place yourself. Check the policy carefully, and see if it replaces new for old, or if it just pays out the value of the goods should they be lost, damaged or stolen. they then give you an estimated cost. You can do the insurance yourself through a high street insurer - feel free to shop around and don't feel pressured into taking the shipping companies insurance, it can be at the more expensive end.
* You agree to the price estimate (note 'estimate' - this price may go up if the rep underestimated the amount of stuff you have).
* You agree a date and time for them to come to your house and pack up the stuff you are taking
* They come on the agreed date and pack your house up, cataloguing things as they go
* Your items will either a) be packed into a van and taken to their distribution centre where they'll be packed into a container - usually happens when you have a 1/2 container load or b) Be packed into a full container that they bring to your house if you have that much stuff
* You wave goodbye to your items
* The shipping firm then contacts you with the final bill, on which should be listed: Total number of packages, the packing catalogue, the ship on which your container will sail, the port of arrival, the approximate date of arrival in NZ, the company working on their behalf at your port of arrival, whether MAFF fees are included, whether any storage on arrival has been included, whether your container was put through any insecticide and pesticide treatment prior to departure, and your container reference number (used to track your container on-line etc)
* You forget about it for 4 or so months
* You arrive in NZ
* You contact your NZ firm on arrival to give them your postal address and contact details, and get a run down from them how things are going.
* The NZ firm will send you a bunch of customs and MAFF forms, which you fill out to say if you have any specific items that they may want to look at (garden stuff, sports equipment, illegal drugs etc :D ) and also a form giving details of where and when you want your items delivered
* Your container arrives - YAY :thumbsup: - and MAFF may inspect any items that they wish. They may also clean or dis-infect some items, which may incur a cost. You have no control over this, and it's a case of what side of the bed the MAFF chap got out of that morning. Customs then have a rummage to see that you are obeying import rules - they may impound stuff that you have brought in illegally/ that they wish to charge you tax upon such as brand new items. Finally your shipment clears customs & MAFF, and your NZ firm collects it, brings it to you at the agreed place and time, and (if you've arranged it) unpacks it all for you.
* You note any items damaged or destroyed in transit, taking photo's as they are unpacked (this is why the NZ firm should unpack for you, so you can prove that it was not you that broke it when unpacking). Hopefully you don't have to, as all your stuff is perfectly fine.
* You make insurance claims as necessary, then it's job done - relax with your stuff in your new home, in your new country!

Simple really! ;)

We're at the 'waiting for our stuff to clear customs & MAFF' stage at present, and I am papping my pants :( Hope it all goes OK.

Hope this helps a bit, and don't be nervous about it. Do your research, read the importing to NZ rules, and you'll be just fine.

Wiz

kwprwn Mar 22nd 2007 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Fireman Al (Post 4541533)
Hey,

oh god that totally sucks

Can you ask for a more detailed explanation as to what the issue is? And ask them exactly why it costs so much for the emptying that one box, it sounds awfully excessive.

Am thinking you were kind of agitated by the end of the conversation, so it may be a good idea to call now you have digested the information, and although not calmer, and like someone else said ask if there is anyway to reduce the cost as it does seem kind of high

Karma sent (if the thing will let me)

hope you get it sorted

Dawn

Boopy Mar 22nd 2007 9:17 am

We brought, 2 bikes, tools and gardening stuff. Shipped with Crown, had nothing to pay with MAF and no hassle.

Gonzo Mar 22nd 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4544957)
We're at the 'waiting for our stuff to clear customs & MAFF' stage at present,

How long does it usually take to clear customs & MAFF?

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 22nd 2007 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 4545887)
How long does it usually take to clear customs & MAFF?

No idea - 4 days so far, and counting. Will stick up here when the lot is delivered.

Am Loolah Mar 22nd 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4544957)
It seems that it depends on who you ship with, and how MAFF and Customs are feeling on the day that your shipment arrived.

What should happen if you arrange door to door shipping is:
* Shipping firm rep visits your home, takes careful note of all the items you intend to ship, measuring large items, and guestimating on smaller ones. Then talks you through how they work, who they use at your point of arrival (usually a local firm they appoint to act for them), and what their insurance covers. Insurance is usually based on a % of the total value of your shipment i.e. 3% - a value that you place yourself. Check the policy carefully, and see if it replaces new for old, or if it just pays out the value of the goods should they be lost, damaged or stolen. they then give you an estimated cost. You can do the insurance yourself through a high street insurer - feel free to shop around and don't feel pressured into taking the shipping companies insurance, it can be at the more expensive end.
* You agree to the price estimate (note 'estimate' - this price may go up if the rep underestimated the amount of stuff you have).
* You agree a date and time for them to come to your house and pack up the stuff you are taking
* They come on the agreed date and pack your house up, cataloguing things as they go
* Your items will either a) be packed into a van and taken to their distribution centre where they'll be packed into a container - usually happens when you have a 1/2 container load or b) Be packed into a full container that they bring to your house if you have that much stuff
* You wave goodbye to your items
* The shipping firm then contacts you with the final bill, on which should be listed: Total number of packages, the packing catalogue, the ship on which your container will sail, the port of arrival, the approximate date of arrival in NZ, the company working on their behalf at your port of arrival, whether MAFF fees are included, whether any storage on arrival has been included, whether your container was put through any insecticide and pesticide treatment prior to departure, and your container reference number (used to track your container on-line etc)
* You forget about it for 4 or so months
* You arrive in NZ
* You contact your NZ firm on arrival to give them your postal address and contact details, and get a run down from them how things are going.
* The NZ firm will send you a bunch of customs and MAFF forms, which you fill out to say if you have any specific items that they may want to look at (garden stuff, sports equipment, illegal drugs etc :D ) and also a form giving details of where and when you want your items delivered
* Your container arrives - YAY :thumbsup: - and MAFF may inspect any items that they wish. They may also clean or dis-infect some items, which may incur a cost. You have no control over this, and it's a case of what side of the bed the MAFF chap got out of that morning. Customs then have a rummage to see that you are obeying import rules - they may impound stuff that you have brought in illegally/ that they wish to charge you tax upon such as brand new items. Finally your shipment clears customs & MAFF, and your NZ firm collects it, brings it to you at the agreed place and time, and (if you've arranged it) unpacks it all for you.
* You note any items damaged or destroyed in transit, taking photo's as they are unpacked (this is why the NZ firm should unpack for you, so you can prove that it was not you that broke it when unpacking). Hopefully you don't have to, as all your stuff is perfectly fine.
* You make insurance claims as necessary, then it's job done - relax with your stuff in your new home, in your new country!

Simple really! ;)

We're at the 'waiting for our stuff to clear customs & MAFF' stage at present, and I am papping my pants :( Hope it all goes OK.

Hope this helps a bit, and don't be nervous about it. Do your research, read the importing to NZ rules, and you'll be just fine.

Wiz

That's brilliant, thank you sooo much for taking the time to explain all that Wiz, really appreciate it. Can exhale now I kind of know what to expect!

(Sorry for hi-jacking Al ...:o :o )

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 22nd 2007 11:19 pm

Hey Fireman Al - what's happened with this? Did they charge you the full lot? Has your head exploded in rage? Are your tools all nice and disinfected now?

Those of us soon to be in a similar situation (3 boxes of tools = the law of Sod being applied) need to know!

Hope it's sorted...?

mcuddy1 Mar 22nd 2007 11:36 pm

Hi Guys
Our container ship arrived at Lyttleton on wed , on Thursday it was unpacked in our house. No waiting at all . Maf man came to inspect the bikes at our house that was it. Painless.
Ok it was 4 hundred Dollars for him to visit but he was there 5 mins.
I don't think there are problems all the time just the luck of the draw.
NZ van lines were pretty good arranging things so no complaints there.
Cheers

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 23rd 2007 12:21 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 4549334)
Hi Guys
Our container ship arrived at Lyttleton on wed , on Thursday it was unpacked in our house. No waiting at all . Maf man came to inspect the bikes at our house that was it. Painless.
Ok it was 4 hundred Dollars for him to visit but he was there 5 mins.
I don't think there are problems all the time just the luck of the draw.
NZ van lines were pretty good arranging things so no complaints there.
Cheers

That's flippin brill guys! :) Must be great to have all your stuff with you - make it feel more homely.

Just spoken to our agents, and our paperwork has been cleared by customs, but the ship is delayed and won't dock till this avo. Then it'll be up to 2 weeks before we see our stuff as we are sharing a container so it has to go to their yard, be unpacked, then MAFF checked, then brought to us. What a palava!

Ah well, we're keeping the faith and hopefully all will be fine.