I'm back!

Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Talking I'm back!

I'm finally back after my first trip back to the UK in 3 years, still tired even after 12 hours sleep last night but glad to be back.

We flew into Newcastle after a mammoth 37 hour journey [door to door] and spent a week with my parents catching up. I found I settled in very easily, it still felt like home and could live in the UK again if the desire or need took me [though not with my parents!] . We had a bit of a family get together on New Year's Eve which all got a little messy, lucky nobody thought to take any photos. Apparently everyone was dancing in my Dad's very small hallway at one point but I have no recollection of that. Needless to say New years day was a day that I wish to forget

Other than being surprised at how small my Mam's house is and how chlorinated the water tasted there wasn't anything that I picked up on as having changed particularly or that would be a reason not to move back to the UK. This may be due to the reasons I moved to NZ, I had no problems with life in the UK and would never have moved to NZ if I hadn't met Mr S and decided to do something else with my life.
Mr S's reaction was more interesting as he has not been to the North East in winter before. He was shocked at how few hours of sunlight there was and that it was only getting light at 9am and was starting to get dark by 4pm. Also at how low the sun is in the sky - cue lots of comments about living near the Arctic Circle It felt normal to me and I'd forgotten just how much I like the long winter's nights. He was also amazed at how odd it felt going shopping in the dark when walking through the town centre in the late afternoon. He did admit that the Xmas lights worked so much better but he just found it strange. Conversely it gave me that Christmassy feeling that is so lacking in NZ.

Spent a few days in London visiting friends and then travelled round Italy before returning home.
Apart from the London to Rome flight we used Emirates. That was my first time and I can thoroughly recommend them. Not only were they the cheapest but the food was excellent and the service was good. Also they fly direct from Dubai to Newcastle so I could get someone to pick us up.

I do feel like I'm home now I'm back in Chch but I'd like to go back to the UK more often if I can. Three years is a little bit too long now my parents are getting older. They are still in their early 60s and healthy but I did notice that they did look older than I'd expected them too. That was a bit of a shock and made me think about the passing of time and how far away I am. Anyway my Dad's still dancing in the hallway and drinking like it's a competition so I don't think I need to worry too much yet
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:52 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm back!

As a young lad I moved to South Shields where my mother came from so I can well imagine your hubbies reaction to Tyneside weather. I can remember the North Sea 'fret' meaning you did not go out without a wooly even in summer Went back a couple of years ago and the whole area is still not as heavily populated as where we live in the Midlands and is surrounded by lovely country .......but too cold and yes the locals still enjoy the Newcastle Brown Ale....
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:32 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
but I'd like to go back to the UK more often if I can. Three years is a little bit too long now my parents are getting older. They are still in their early 60s and healthy but I did notice that they did look older than I'd expected them too. That was a bit of a shock and made me think about the passing of time and how far away I am.
I'm skipping the rest for a bit, though I did read it.

Yes. Think about this. Time slips away faster, the older you get. Travelling the huge distance becomes quite a thing to do . The people you love are precious. You will never have them again.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good time Persephone
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:20 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home . Know the feeling about going back more often, my parents are in there mid to late 70's & I worry so much about them.

Pleased to hear you had a great time, I love the North-east. My brother lives very near to Whitley Bay.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to go back to the UK more often if I can. Three years is a little bit too long now my parents are getting older. They are still in their early 60s and healthy but I did notice that they did look older than I'd expected them too. That was a bit of a shock and made me think about the passing of time and how far away I am.
Bet they were chuffed to see you Perseph. I noticed the aging thing when I had a 2 year gap with my Dad. Twas only 18m with Mum as she ventured out here in between times.
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I always do too and try to do at least every 12 months now. I feel the initial 2 years was a mistake and was only really poss as some people came to visit me instead.

Obviously affordability and lack of annual leave often determines these decisions more than desire or otherwise to have a visit back.
Let's hope Christchurch stops rumbling for you.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:26 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Yes. Think about this. Time slips away faster, the older you get. Travelling the huge distance becomes quite a thing to do . The people you love are precious. You will never have them again.
Well said. Obviously it's something we all have to think about but going home really brought it into focus. It is something that will become more of a worry as they get older and will lead to some difficult decisions I'm sure. I should try and get home more often so that the change is not so apparent though that is easier said than done. Something to consider for those moving out, you think you're prepared for your parents' future but it isn't always the case and a long gap between visits makes any changes so much more noticeable.

Thanks luvwelly and Bigstix. Plan is to not leave it 3 years again but as you said annual leave and money does tend to get in the way. Should have found myself a rich Kiwi instead of Mr S so he could look after me in the manner in which I feel I was meant to live
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Hi P! Good to see you back. I would love to go to the UK EVERY xmas for 8 weeks, I think NZ is really naff during summer time and by contrast the UK great!! We did it last year, spent all Dec and Jan in the Uk and France, had a great time, especially in Jan when all the kids were back at school and EVERYTHING was empty!!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Hello from the bloody freezin cold north east ...with a little snow on the ground ....yes I must admit when the clocks change in autumn , I love the dark nights for about a week ...THEN its bad bad bad ....how many more months of no sunshine and daylight will we have to endure and oh I hope we have a good summer this year and every year I hear my self saying the same thing , hope we have a good summer ...and the months go by and its autmn and the clocks are changing again and back to dark nights and we ain't had a summer ...welcome to life in newcastle :-) thank god for the metro centre lol
Pleased u had a good trip back and one thing I know I will miss is the geordie sense of humour xx
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

I suppose I only had a week of the short days so wasn't there long enough to get tired of it. Just loved the Christmassy feeling I got which doesn't happen here. I'm not really a sun worshipper as well so quite happy living in a dark cave for months of the year
I'm not actually a Geordie either, I'm a Darlo lass so practically a southerner

One other thing I remembered about NYE that made me giggle. The family trying to get Mr S to go out before midnight to do the first footing [he is tall and darkish!] and him refusing as it was too cold. Turns out he thought they were trying to play some practical joke on him. It was only when people kept coming to the door after midnight and asking whether they were the first that he realised it was some strange British custom and not just my family taking the piss
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

I suppose I only had a week of the short days so wasn't there long enough to get tired of it. Just loved the Christmassy feeling I got which doesn't happen here. I'm not really a sun worshipper as well so quite happy living in a dark cave for months of the year
I'm not actually a Geordie either, I'm a Darlo lass so practically a southerner

One other thing I remembered about NYE that made me giggle. The family trying to get Mr S to go out before midnight to do the first footing [he is tall and darkish!] and him refusing as it was too cold. Turns out he thought they were trying to play some practical joke on him. It was only when people kept coming to the door after midnight and asking whether they were the first that he realised it was some strange British custom and not just my family taking the piss
yeah it is a strange custom ...we leave a piece of coal on the door step for the 1st foot to carry in with them , not sure why but ever since i can remember that is what was done ...Won't let my hubby do it as he is short and bald LOL
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to hear you had a good time.

Mention the short winter days, the other side of the coin is the long summer nights, almost endless in Scotland. I really miss those here in a Auckland summer.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:37 pm
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Is Penshaw Monument still standing...?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:40 am
Just Joined

northumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by welshrgeordie View Post
Hello from the bloody freezin cold north east ...with a little snow on the ground ....yes I must admit when the clocks change in autumn , I love the dark nights for about a week ...THEN its bad bad bad ....how many more months of no sunshine and daylight will we have to endure and oh I hope we have a good summer this year and every year I hear my self saying the same thing , hope we have a good summer ...and the months go by and its autmn and the clocks are changing again and back to dark nights and we ain't had a summer ...welcome to life in newcastle :-) thank god for the metro centre lol
Pleased u had a good trip back and one thing I know I will miss is the geordie sense of humour xx
15 months in NZ: Geordie sense of humour is a big miss! Someone is always willing to pass the time of day with you in the north east. Good to hear tales of home (well - close to my home town which is Alnwick) I have spent many a cold dark afternoon/evening waiting in the Haymarket bus station!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:08 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by kaihoe View Post
Is Penshaw Monument still standing...?
Yep, still standing when viewed from the A1[M] through a mist of grey drizzle

Originally Posted by northumberland View Post
15 months in NZ: Geordie sense of humour is a big miss! Someone is always willing to pass the time of day with you in the north east. Good to hear tales of home (well - close to my home town which is Alnwick) I have spent many a cold dark afternoon/evening waiting in the Haymarket bus station!