Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
we just outsourced our lifestyle problems to another country.
Very true! Soon Europe will be running around in electric cars having gone green.

Of course the electricity will be generated in some far-off coal-fired pollution generator in Russia, China or somewhere similar but thats a long way away from Europe so presumably OK.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:07 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Is Icebreaker still made here?
Some things still are I think. They're a real Kiwi success story and have grown so big they've taken on extra manufacturing capacity in other countries.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so excited to hear about Mykea as we have an Ikea sofa bed and needed a new cover for it. I put an order in July and I STILL haven't had it. The finally got back to me in Sept to say that the colour was not in stock so did I want another one? I asked why they didn't tell me this at the time of ordering and they had no explanation. They don't respond quickly to emails and you often can't leave a message as the mailbox is full. They obviously flit between Oz and NZ. Still waiting for it now! I would not use them again. It'd be easier and probably cheaper to fly to Oz myself and get it!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Just musing- what do we think Ikea prices will be in NZ, considering the transport costs?
PS -if they ever get here
Old Oct 16th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Originally Posted by drcallycat
I was so excited to hear about Mykea as we have an Ikea sofa bed and needed a new cover for it. I put an order in July and I STILL haven't had it. The finally got back to me in Sept to say that the colour was not in stock so did I want another one? I asked why they didn't tell me this at the time of ordering and they had no explanation. They don't respond quickly to emails and you often can't leave a message as the mailbox is full. They obviously flit between Oz and NZ. Still waiting for it now! I would not use them again. It'd be easier and probably cheaper to fly to Oz myself and get it!!!!
Same here! I ordered some bedroom furniture in July as I wanted all our bedroom furniture to be of the same Ikea series that we already had. I also ordered some more stuff, and I've so far received only about a third of my order. They refuse to answer any email queries and in general give misleading information about the delivery dates. I've already been told several times that "the products will arrive next week" and I'm still waiting for them to arrive! I'll probably have moved out of this house by the time the stuff finally gets here -if ever.

Don't touch this company with a barge pole. It seems someone thought they could run a service like this from their garage during their spare time, and they have NO IDEA how to run the business.

Last edited by Mgee; Oct 16th 2010 at 6:05 am.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's so total rubbish . Thanks for letting us all know.

You know. There was someone ages ago that shipped Ikea stuff from Oz to NZ and then it stopped. Perhaps it just isn't cost effective until a container is filled to the gunnels which could take months.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's so total rubbish . Thanks for letting us all know.

You know. There was someone ages ago that shipped Ikea stuff from Oz to NZ and then it stopped. Perhaps it just isn't cost effective until a container is filled to the gunnels which could take months.
Bet that is it.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:06 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Why not get a group of like minded shoppers together and buy enough to fill a small container, then get a carrier to ship it all over to NZ for you?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Just heard from Mykea again after my order still hasn't arrived - they now seem to be called myflatpack!!! Something dodgy going on and beginning to wish I'd never ordered with them at all now! What a nightmare.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

A little bird has told me that Ikea has plans to build in Waitakere at the Westgate shopping centre.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:15 am
Banned

That secret has been around since about 2007. More lately Albany was supposed to be the location

I think your nearest store is going to be Brisbane for a few more years yet.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:21 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
A little bird has told me that Ikea has plans to build in Waitakere at the Westgate shopping centre.
If only!

In the meantime, I am looking forward to my partner coming home from Brisbane on the 25th with our new TV cabinet straight from Ikea, costing only AU$59 and acceptable for checked in luggage (15 kilos)
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Just wait and see..........................................
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You guys can join the I want Ikea stores to open in NZ group at http://www.facebook.com/IkeaNZ
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

I wish Ikea would open in NZ. A few years ago on one of my regular trips to Brisbane to see family I bought a complete Ikea kitchen with all the trimmings, crockery, glassware, bookshelves, bathroom vanity, basins,cabinets, taps mirrors, for 2 bathrooms & Coffee table. Had it delivered sraight to shipping company (OSS) & it arrived in Auckland in less than a month & I think cost around $300 to ship being flat pack. I was worried customs were going to charge me but nothing.
We saved so much by doing this as the total price was far less than I had been quoted for any of the cheapest local products. My kitchen with dishwasher, gas cook top, electric multi function oven & ranghood all Smeg appliances cost in total under $7,000 the cheapest quote I had was $12,000 with rubbish appliances!
Heading back to NZ in September & hopefully will be buying a house in Hawkes Bay & if it needs a new kitchen or bathroom guess where I'll be going?