Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
So which high quality 'NZ made' brands in particular are we talking about? Other than Fisher and Paykel appliances and Kumfs shoes.
Macpac
Fairydown
Katmandhu
Rodd & Gunn
Line7
Blackbox Headphones
Perreaux Audio
Pumpkin Patch
Danske Mobler
NZ Carpets (Cavalier Bremworth, Feltex etc)
Mountain Buggy
Bobux
Navman
Canterbury clothing
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ikea in NZ at last, well nearly?

I’ve got to say when I look at IKEA products they are starting to look a bit of a dated fashion now. 5 - 10 years ago that sleek furniture looked modern and clean, now it just looks a bit try hard and commercial somehow. The whole brushed chrome and exposed wood clinical thing has really been covered from every angle.

I’m seeing more high end design outlets (which usually signal a look into future trends) going for twists on classically styled refinished furniture (often in bright colours with hand finishes).

I don’t think there are any really exciting major NZ furniture makers out there but then the kiwi taste in furniture has always tended to be very conservative (the thought you might want to buy new furniture every few years horrifies kiwis, most of who don’t earn much money TBH) and major retail chains here are reluctant to take risks on new products, they would rather sell the same thing year after year.

So out with the new:

In with the old:
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Macpac
Fairydown
Katmandhu
Rodd & Gunn
Line7
Blackbox Headphones
Perreaux Audio
Pumpkin Patch
Danske Mobler
NZ Carpets (Cavalier Bremworth, Feltex etc)
Mountain Buggy
Bobux
Navman
Canterbury clothing
Interesting to see how much of that stuff is actualy made in NZ these days!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I’ve got to say when I look at IKEA products they are starting to look a bit of a dated fashion now. 5 - 10 years ago that sleek furniture looked modern and clean, now it just looks a bit try hard and commercial somehow. The whole brushed chrome and exposed wood clinical thing has really been covered from every angle.

I’m seeing more high end design outlets (which usually signal a look into future trends) going for twists on classically styled refinished furniture (often in bright colours with hand finishes).

I don’t think there are any really exciting major NZ furniture makers out there but then the kiwi taste in furniture has always tended to be very conservative (the thought you might want to buy new furniture every few years horrifies kiwis, most of who don’t earn much money TBH) and major retail chains here are reluctant to take risks on new products, they would rather sell the same thing year after year.
The thing Ikea offers which you can't do here, is to be able to go out and kit out a house or home pretty cheaply for what is decent quailty and generally stylish and modern furniture in one go, without spending a fortune.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

So out with the new:
http://www.bratproductions.com/gr/bl...pen_normal.jpg
In with the old:
http://activerain.com/image_store/up...0858769905.jpg
Thanks for the piccies mate.

Kiwis can't help loving old (50/60's) fashioned (nana style) horrid stuff.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 4th 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
The thing Ikea offers which you can't do here, is to be able to go out and kit out a house or home pretty cheaply for what is decent quailty and generally stylish and modern furniture in one go, without spending a fortune.
They also at very least offer online shopping and the ability to view items and suss out the prices and dimensions, which is indeed a rarity for NZ businesses.

As SR71 points out there are some 'niche' NZ brands mostly in clothing and outdoor gear, of which I doubt very much of it is made in NZ. The prices in the likes of Danske Mobler, Rodd and Gunn (eg. $169 for a shirt) and other NZ brands are usually way beyond the means of the average Kiwi income.

Has anyone seen the price of carpet and rugs? OMG you would never think that sheep and wool were grown here, with the prices they charge.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Has anyone seen the price of carpet and rugs? OMG you would never think that sheep and wool were grown here, with the prices they charge.
I got basically chucked out of a shop for mentioning the prices of these one time. Got told to get me back from where I originally comes from. Trouble was, I was price & quality checking them at the time. OOps. Nil points.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:44 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I got basically chucked out of a shop for mentioning the prices of these one time. Got told to get me back from where I originally comes from. Trouble was, I was price & quality checking them at the time. OOps. Nil points.
Cool custy service eh? Nil point for that too!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

So which high quality 'NZ made' brands in particular are we talking about? Other than Fisher and Paykel appliances and Kumfs shoes.
I thought Fisher and Paykel had packed up and moved to Mexico quite some time ago?

Just as an aside I have heard very positive things about quality of NZ products from expats. It seems it could be luck of the draw.

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 6th 2010 at 11:11 pm. Reason: whittering away and needed to cull....
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-Facebook-fans
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
I thought Fisher and Paykel had packed up and moved to Mexico quite some time ago?

Just as an aside I have heard very positive things about quality of NZ products from expats. It seems it could be luck of the draw.
I really struggle to think of anything we make in New Zealand outside of dairy.

F&P appliances manufacture in Southeast Asia somewhere (Thailand?) IRRC so it’s kind of local? F&P healthcare still make medical equipment here and IMO are one of our most promising future companies (but then I would say that, would give my right arm for a job with them ).
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:03 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard was that Kumf's made about 40% of their shoes in China, mind you that was a few years back and it could be more or less now.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Last I heard was that Kumf's made about 40% of their shoes in China, mind you that was a few years back and it could be more or less now.
Is Icebreaker still made here?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

I really struggle to think of anything we make in New Zealand outside of dairy.
True! And same as the UK - bought my first (and last) item from Primark the other day it fell to bits after one wear But even here goods from shops that you think would be better quality - and that you are paying more for - still don't last like they should (House of Fraser, and I would include the more expensive IKEA stuff in there now as well but that's just my experience!). That said, our £5 Argos toaster is 4 years old and still going strong

Why make it in your own country when it is cheaper to manufacture and then ship it over? A concept I have never quite grasped personally but it obviously makes more money for the companies concerned!

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 7th 2010 at 8:38 am. Reason: try and try again doh
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:15 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Why make it in your own country when it is cheaper to manufacture and then ship it over? A concept I have never quite grasped personally but it obviously makes more money for the companies concerned!
Yep, can’t blame them as that’s what I’d do in manufacturing.

China has a massive competitive advantage with cheap energy and now to a lesser extent labour. It really annoys me when people criticize China on pollution because most of the rubbish they are making is for us in the west. We didn’t suddenly get all clean and green, we just outsourced our lifestyle problems to another country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.