British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ikea of New Zealand? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ikea-new-zealand-894695/)

Mightymurph Mar 30th 2017 12:29 pm

Ikea of New Zealand?

Hi All,

Is there a store like Ikea in New Zealand?

Thanks
Stephen

moneypenny20 Mar 30th 2017 12:37 pm

Re: Ikea of New Zealand?

This looks like Ikea. ;) Showroom & Opening hours No idea what it's like, I'm in Aus, but all the kiwis will be in their beds. :D

Mightymurph Mar 30th 2017 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12217194)
This looks like Ikea. ;) Showroom & Opening hours No idea what it's like, I'm in Aus, but all the kiwis will be in their beds. :D

Haha. I know, I'm still stuck in England till the end of the year.
It's just after lunch here.

Jerseygirl Mar 30th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12217194)

IKEA Parallel Importer...

A parallel import is a non-counterfeit product imported from another country without the permission of the intellectual property owner. Parallel imports are often referred to as grey product and are implicated in issues of international trade, and intellectual property.

moneypenny20 Mar 30th 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12217201)
IKEA Parallel Importer...

A parallel import is a non-counterfeit product imported from another country without the permission of the intellectual property owner. Parallel imports are often referred to as grey product and are implicated in issues of international trade, and intellectual property.

Yeah, it was the closest thing I could find. Not sure what would happen if you bought stuff and Sweden decided they weren't happy!:unsure:

Sparkleydiva Mar 30th 2017 5:06 pm

You can try freedom furniture, some nice stuff but not ikea prices. I do miss it though

Bo-Jangles Mar 30th 2017 7:53 pm

We don't have anything like Ikea unfortunately; but no shortage these days of folks who import the stuff and sell it on. Some on large scale with showrooms and websites such as above and quite a brisk trade of new and second hand stuff here: Trade Me

For cheap and cheerful household stuff we pretty much only have: The Warehouse and kmart.co.nz/ (who haven't yet quite figured out how to do online shopping :rofl: )

With both of those you really do get what you pay for and most of their stuff is at the Primark end of the spectrum and okay for short term stop gap.

Mightymurph Mar 30th 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12217621)
We don't have anything like Ikea unfortunately; but no shortage these days of folks who import the stuff and sell it on. Some on large scale with showrooms and websites such as above and quite a brisk trade of new and second hand stuff here: Trade Me

For cheap and cheerful household stuff we pretty much only have: The Warehouse and kmart.co.nz/ (who haven't yet quite figured out how to do online shopping :rofl: )

With both of those you really do get what you pay for and most of their stuff is at the Primark end of the spectrum and okay for short term stop gap.

That is awesome thank you.

simonsi Mar 30th 2017 9:00 pm

As a slightly amusing aside, if you say IKEA to a Kiwi, they hear "I care" and give you a puzzled look...

garethwm Mar 31st 2017 3:10 am

Big Save Furniture bigsave.co.nz maybe closest?

mistran Apr 4th 2017 7:39 am

Hi there been living in NZ for 9 years and to be honest furniture over here is of OK standard and pretty damn over priced, but you can get what you need from places like:

Big Save
Harvey Norman
Target
Danske Mobler
Etc...