British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ikea (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ikea-920307/)

Charismatic Dec 19th 2018 7:16 pm

Ikea

...Will probably be coming to New Zealand.

BEVS Dec 19th 2018 8:58 pm

Re: Ikea

:flypig:

MrsFychan Dec 20th 2018 1:51 am

don't understand all the fuss about Ikea, I absolutely hated the shop layouts in UK and never had their meat balls

Bobogib Dec 20th 2018 11:09 am

It did lead to a nice reply from The Warehouse,

Warehouse Response

Bo-Jangles Dec 20th 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bobogib (Post 12611288)
It did lead to a nice reply from The Warehouse

Kind of ironic, there's not much sold in the Warehouse that is made by Kiwis. LOL

The best thing I think is that others like the Warehouse and Briscoes will have to respond and up their game in terms of both price and quality of products. Last night I looked at a wooden chopping Board in Briscoes and immediately put it down when I saw that it was $59.99 - albeit there was of course the once in lifetime opportunity to purchase said item at a super bargainicious price of $41.99 due to their 30% off 'sale'. I just checked a similar one in Ikea is 3 quid.

BEVS Dec 20th 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bobogib (Post 12611288)
It did lead to a nice reply from The Warehouse,

Oh dear me. Bit worried are they.

As Bo-J has noted. If this is finally on the cards it may give the likes of Briscoes/Warehouse and others a bit of a wake up call. Less shoddy goods at inflated prices.

If it is actually for real, I cannot wait. Bring it on Ikea please. :thumbup:

Charismatic Dec 20th 2018 11:39 pm

Warehouse couldn't compete against international retailers in Australia and now one of those international retailers is coming to New Zealand. Ikea are very, very good at what they do and the hubris on display indicates to me Warehouse are not prepared for a wave of change creating a more competitive environment.

Bobogib Dec 21st 2018 8:55 am

Oh I agree that the NZ retailers will get a shock. Ikea are massive, so in theory could absorb import and shipping costs to keep the price low.

I just found The Warehouses response funny. I enjoy this new era of social media advertisement where it's all about 1-up man ship.

Not sure how many people on here saw the ti for tat that went on between John Lewis and Aldi here in the UK when the John Lewis Xmas advert was released.

Justcol Dec 21st 2018 9:03 am

Our nearest was in Warrington. I detested the place. I would get dragged around it by the ex wife who considered it a romantic day out !!
It was always packed to the rafters with an army of scousers, trudging like munchkins along the yellow brick road, stopping at each of the seemingly never ending room settings for the obligatory "oooh thats nice" or "that'd fit nice in our lounge" before bouncing up and down on every second sofa or armchair, then leaving with either a two shelf Billy bookcase,a plant pot or nice cork place mat

Pom_Chch Dec 21st 2018 7:29 pm

Bring it on I say! The Warehouse ad made me laugh. I see what they're going for but "made in China by Chinese for NZ" would be more accurate. Shame it doesn't have the same ring to it...

Justcol Dec 21st 2018 10:51 pm

It will be somewhere in the auckland/hamilton/tauranga golden triangle
I'd say more TE Rapa area as its easier for jaffas and tauranga folk to reach

Catchafire Dec 21st 2018 11:37 pm

I would have been slightly excited about this if it was 2005. Since then I have learned some icky stuff about the company's founder and the lingering suspicion of them funding right wing groups.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14661582

There is quality furniture here in NZ and you don't have to pay the earth for it, you just need to look for it or grab it when you chance across it.

Mishclark Dec 24th 2018 11:55 pm

I've never been and there were two in Sydney and one near Brisbane, my sister loves it. I've always been put off bybtge thought of the crowds as I don't like crowds too much, that's why I moved away from Sydney four years ago.

MrsCakey Jan 31st 2019 6:05 am

I understand that it will take years before the big yellow and blue doors open. It takes a while to get that big blue building up apparently.

I read that an indirect competitor Nido Living will be opening. Similar flatpacked furniture concept, but not made or design by them and they have already started construction on the warehouse.

I do think there are some lovely furniture options here, they are just super expensive :( My cheap white Billy bookcase circa 2015 still gets lots of compliments!

Bobogib Jan 31st 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12630114)

I do think there are some lovely furniture options here, they are just super expensive :( My cheap white Billy bookcase circa 2015 still gets lots of compliments!

This is why all our Ikea furniture (Including several Billy units, some of which we have had since 2007) will be making the long trip over with us.