Ikea???

Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Ikea???

Hi all,

I was extreeeemely disappointed when I found out that Ikea wasn't going to NZ! I know it's sad, but I love the place!

Therefore, I think we're gonna buy some new furniture and bits & bobs from there first to ship over with us.

The question is....does anyone know if we can bring new, unopened stuff with us....as it would be a lot easier to bring flat packed, or has it got to be shown as though 'in use'? Does that make sense?

Cheers, Cheryl x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ikea???

I paid duty on some flatpacked IKEA stuff....I did this knowingly and it was expensive relative to the cost of the actual IKEA stuff so definitely assemble it first.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:15 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

We assembled our new stuff .....
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a bit of cunning and unpack the stuff from the original boxes, nobody need ever know. it doesn't have to be assembled as such, packers often will dismantle some larger items to save space anyway.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Indeed anything you put through customs is allways 'a present' or has been in the family for a long time and has no comercial value....
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you unpack your Ikea stuff without actually putting it together. We did this with shelving units for the garage & the removal company repackaged it. No extra charges at this end
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
Indeed anything you put through customs is allways 'a present' or has been in the family for a long time and has no comercial value....
Mmm, sometimes you have no control over the matter. I had a parcel delivered from US for my birthday and the sender made a mistake putting the value at $530 instead of $53. My present was held in bond and I was asked to pay NZ $110 duty and GST to retrieve my gift from customs. I had to get proof from the sender that the goods were actually worth less than the amount they were wanting to charge me in import fees.

Right pain in the rump it was, because firstly I had to find out who had sent it and then ask them to send me the original invoice or receipt. :curse:
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:30 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I would advise removing all packaging, and let the removal men wrap up as they will do. Tax is expensive as you pay 2 lots and it adds up quickly.

Label everything used household goods.

If you bring christmas decorations make sure they put them all in one box - they spread ours over 6 or 7 and it cost us a packed $40 per box for checking when in actual fact each box only had one christmas toy. - get them to label as artificial xmas decorations as well.

Hope this helps

Pauline
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Mmm, sometimes you have no control over the matter.
Indeed they tried to tax my mountain bike in Auckland airport once their reasoning it looked new and clean and therefore had value.

Now the thing about airports is that if you even attempt to bring anything in 'dirty or muddy' they will impound it clean it and sometimes charge you.

So of course was clean!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Hi all,

I was extreeeemely disappointed when I found out that Ikea wasn't going to NZ! I know it's sad, but I love the place!

Therefore, I think we're gonna buy some new furniture and bits & bobs from there first to ship over with us.

The question is....does anyone know if we can bring new, unopened stuff with us....as it would be a lot easier to bring flat packed, or has it got to be shown as though 'in use'? Does that make sense?

Cheers, Cheryl x
you are right....ikea is sad...cheap and poor quality...
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Ikea???

Originally Posted by the big nowhere
you are right....ikea is sad...cheap and poor quality...
I'm sorry....but have you actually been to Ikea? Granted, some stuff isn't as top quality as other places, but I still wouldn't say it was poor!

We have bought some very good quality items from Ikea & have only paid a fraction of the cost of other certain shops!

More money spent doesn't necessarily mean better quality....why spend more than you need to...just for the name? Doesn't make sense to me!! Yes, it's cheap...but that's the whole point, isn't it?

Last edited by iwannagonow; Aug 13th 2008 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Ikea???

Thanks to everyone for your replies

Think we'll be best unpackaging any items we buy & letting the 'boys' repack it! Avoiding any extra payments is always a bonus

Cheers, Cheryl x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:24 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
I'm sorry....but have you actually been to Ikea? Granted, some stuff isn't as top quality as other places, but I still wouldn't say it was poor!

We have bought some very good quality items from Ikea & have only paid a fraction of the cost of other certain shops!

More money spent doesn't necessarily mean better quality....why spend more than you need to...just for the name? Doesn't make sense to me!! Yes, it's cheap...but that's the whole point, isn't it?
Yes agree with you.... some people come on here to start a fight