Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ignore the fact its from Labour - Flag debate

Ignore the fact its from Labour - Flag debate

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:03 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ignore the fact its from Labour - Flag debate

complete waste of money, I unticked the two boxes at the end before submitting

Submit to Select Committee on the Flag Referendum
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:25 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ignore the fact its from Labour - Flag debate

The closing date for submissions is Thursday, 23 April 2015
This bill establishes a process for the holding of two postal referendums on the New Zealand Flag. The first will determine which alternative flag design is preferred by voters, and the second will determine whether that alternative flag or the current flag is to be the New Zealand Flag.

Please note, this bill will not involve determining alternative flag designs. This will be carried out by the Flag Consideration Panel whose role is to lead public engagement and recommend alternate flag designs for New Zealanders to consider through referendum.
The thinking behind doing it this way is that if you have a simple yes/no, people don't know what alternative they are voting for. I would HATE an All Black style flag (i.e. the one John Key likes), but quite like some of the suggested alternatives. If I were to choose between the current flag and a black flag, I would choose to retain the current flag. However, if I were given an alternative that I liked, I might vote to change the flag. Which way I vote will depend on how much I like the proposed alternative.

Having said that, I don't think the time is right for this referendum. Let's sort out the more pressing problems first.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to appear in front of the Select Committee to speak to my submission‎.
Will it argue or answer back?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 1:05 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ignore the fact its from Labour - Flag debate

It's nice to have some constants and traditions in an ever changing world. The union flag we share with much of the former British empire and southern cross is something we share with many other countries in the southern hemisphere which are quite nice connection I think. A sort of nod to our shared history and a nice symbolism about our place in the world being humble but hopeful.

As I once wrote here about how special the sky here is at night:
If I can't sleep, as often happens on those sultry summer nights when you startle awake with the sheets sticking to you. I really enjoy fixing a cool ice tea, sitting out on the deck with my gloopy dog who is equally happy sleeping on the deck as in her dogs bed in the sticky summer. There is something so tranquil about it when accompanied by the sound of Cicada and twinkling of the thousands of stars that fill the night sky as they only seem to in New Zealand.
So it seems fitting it should be the Southern Cross on our flag, something so quiet and enduring.

Hopefully people will see the flag in this way. A shared memory from the past, with a message to the present to guide us into the future .
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
complete waste of money, I unticked the two boxes at the end before submitting

Submit to Select Committee on the Flag Referendum
Thanks for that link. Didn't notice the second tick box until too late, but not to worry.