Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is Ignorance Bliss?

Is Ignorance Bliss?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:06 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Ignorance Bliss?

This week I have been to see the band 'Op Shop', and have also watched 'Atlas' up close and personal. On both occasions it was a very intimate affair, and we had pics taken with the band members/ stuff signed etc.

I am getting to the point - promise.

When we first arrived here from the UK, I thought the NZ music scene was backward and uninspiring, and the pop radio here had limited appeal. However, now - as just mentioned - I am well into the scene and enjoy the bands here that really entertain. However, now I am pretty much ignorant of what's new in the UK.!

So, this has got me thinking. Right now I am listening to Jo Wiley (Radio 1 DJ, Mon to Fri 10 to 12.45) online, and I am now ignorant of the UK scene!

Despite the efforts on TV1 and 3, the parallels to UK / World news can also be drawn here.

Should I be worried?

Is ignorance bliss?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Ignorance Bliss?

Mmmm difficult one. Firstly I'm glad the music scene in NZ is ok as I'm used to seeing live music. Your other point has been a thinking muse for me already. As far as I'm concerned Radio 1 don't do enough to promote proper band music anyway, I've found even Jo lacking recently. There is such much rubbish on the download chart at the mo!! NME is online and through them we have such good music as kings of leon, killers, franz ferdinand, bloc party, artic monkey, kasabian, yeah yeah yeahs, futureheads etc A lot a USA bands though at mo
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

You can't beat Zane Lowe on Radio 1 for great new music.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:19 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about Zane.

And he's a Kiwi!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
This week I have been to see the band 'Op Shop', and have also watched 'Atlas' up close and personal. On both occasions it was a very intimate affair, and we had pics taken with the band members/ stuff signed etc.

When we first arrived here from the UK, I thought the NZ music scene was backward and uninspiring, and the pop radio here had limited appeal. However, now - as just mentioned - I am well into the scene and enjoy the bands here that really entertain. However, now I am pretty much ignorant of what's new in the UK.!

So, this has got me thinking. Right now I am listening to Jo Wiley (Radio 1 DJ, Mon to Fri 10 to 12.45) online, and I am now ignorant of the UK scene!

Despite the efforts on TV1 and 3, the parallels to UK / World news can also be drawn here.

Should I be worried?

Is ignorance bliss?
I wouldn't call adapting to differing music scenes as being ignorant.

The NZ music scene like many things is different. Uniqueness is what makes this world inspiring IMHO.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

You're right about Zane.

And he's a Kiwi!
As long as he didn't come to the UK because the music scene in NZ is crap!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Radio 1? Wossat?

Yours sincerely,

An expat since 1992.

And happy about that.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with Radio over here in NZ is that much of it is just a loop - lots of local shows are just "ad free 45 minutes" and very often it is just the same stuff over and over again. When I'm driving back from the back of beyond I enjoy Brian Crump and Nights on NZ National - there is often some interesting music on there.
Yet to find a station that I can listen to interesting new music on......
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...es/themusicmix
heard this advertised but not managed to listen as our radio reception in the house is rubbish - living on the wrong side of the hill!!
any other offers?
Managed to find a classical national station and NZ National plus the odd niche one.
Oh yeah and bear in mind that most new to NZ cars (Jap ones anyway) have a limited FM band - you can fit a multiplier if you need the frequencies above about 90Mhz or so.......they sell them in Warehouse, etc.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:57 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

The only thing I can tune in on my radio at home here in St Albans are easy listening soft rock stations and talkback programmes that seem to have a target demographic of thirty-something petrolheads that get nailed by speed cameras. In short, it's an audio wasteland here.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:17 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

You could always have a look at my son's band:
http://www.mindgoneblind.com/
Their latest CD was released in August and he sent us 2 copies, but they seem to be having problems getting their website updated I'm incredibly proud of him - he's the lead guitarist - Shane
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Should I be worried?

Is ignorance bliss?
Cheers Wiz, just reminded me to sort my 'Q' subscription out!

I'm just waiting for the 1000 or so CD's to arrive, can't even remember half of what I have! Time to sit on the floor surounded by CD's playing songs and drinking beer