British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   If you're female and living in Auckland / North Shore, where do you shop for clothes? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/if-youre-female-living-auckland-north-shore-where-do-you-shop-clothes-671025/)

Water Lily Jun 4th 2010 5:25 am

If you're female and living in Auckland / North Shore, where do you shop for clothes?

I've just done a search hoping some older threads might shed a light on this, but didn't find anything suitable.

For the first time in nearly 5 years I need to buy semi-formal clothes and I'm totally lost. I went on a mini shopping spree to the Albany mall today and came back empty handed. All I could see was either:

- too young / informal
- two fussy - ruffles, loud patterns, weird cuts
- too 80s
- too 70s!
- too formal
- too expensive! (I mean, $350 for a top?? seriously! Even if I had the money I wouldn't be able to sleep at night...)

I couldn't even find a normal plain black skirt!! The ones I found were either heavy wool, stretchy, shiny... argh!

So now I can understand why everyone who flies back to the UK goes there with an empty case and makes a beeline for M&S / Topshop / Debenhams or whatever floats your boat.

Any tips? I could swear I read somewhere (not saying it was on the forums, just can't remember where I saw it) that some people actually fly to Australia and shop for clothes there - is it true?! :blink:

Help!

jmh Jun 4th 2010 6:31 am

Re: If you're female and living in Auckland / North Shore, where do you shop for clot

LOL, yes I remember this when I was shopping for clothes two years ago. I think I found some things in the posh section of Farmers :lol:, and in the more upmarket boutiques. Price wasn't too much of a problem as I earn British pounds and the exhange rate was in my favour. My mum, who lives there, does all right (she dresses quite well). I'll send her an email and ask her where she shops (she takes about a week to reply to my emails so don't hold your breath).

BEVS Jun 4th 2010 6:42 am

Re: If you're female and living in Auckland / North Shore, where do you shop for clot

Water Lily :wub:

Water Lily Jun 4th 2010 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 8610672)
My mum, who lives there, does all right (she dresses quite well). I'll send her an email and ask her where she shops (she takes about a week to reply to my emails so don't hold your breath).

Yes please!! And if she wants to adopt me for a day and take me shopping, I'm up for that too!! :lol:

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8610681)
Water Lily :wub:

lol :o

nukiwi Jun 4th 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 8610586)
I've just done a search hoping some older threads might shed a light on this, but didn't find anything suitable.

For the first time in nearly 5 years I need to buy semi-formal clothes and I'm totally lost. I went on a mini shopping spree to the Albany mall today and came back empty handed. All I could see was either:

- too young / informal
- two fussy - ruffles, loud patterns, weird cuts
- too 80s
- too 70s!
- too formal
- too expensive! (I mean, $350 for a top?? seriously! Even if I had the money I wouldn't be able to sleep at night...)

I couldn't even find a normal plain black skirt!! The ones I found were either heavy wool, stretchy, shiny... argh!

So now I can understand why everyone who flies back to the UK goes there with an empty case and makes a beeline for M&S / Topshop / Debenhams or whatever floats your boat.

Any tips? I could swear I read somewhere (not saying it was on the forums, just can't remember where I saw it) that some people actually fly to Australia and shop for clothes there - is it true?! :blink:

Help!

I feel your pain.....lol

I thought it was just me being too fussy but I can't seem to find any clothes here that I like, apart from the odd top. When I first arrived in NZ I was told Australia was the place to shop. We have recently been to Sydney and OMG the clothes there are so much better and cheaper I found.

Going to have to save up for regular trips to OZ :-)

My best friend is coming out in November for 6 weeks so hoping to hop over to do some serious clothes shopping.

When we manage to get back to the UK for a visit, I going to take an empty suitcase :-)

pricklykina Jun 4th 2010 8:26 am

I buy stuff on trade me LOL

upandrunning Jun 4th 2010 8:44 am

I buy stuff on ebay.com(Usa) and get them posted over, works out that I pay $75 for a apir of Calvin Klein jeans and they are $280 in Smith and Caughey!
Shorecity at Takapuna is quite good as it has an Espirit and a Sussann and Country road, they are usually all right for what you want. They are reasonably priced but don't last very long(only one season) Don't foreget M&S do international delivery now and with $2 to the pound it works out quite good!

Water Lily Jun 4th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by nukiwi (Post 8610801)
When I first arrived in NZ I was told Australia was the place to shop. We have recently been to Sydney and OMG the clothes there are so much better and cheaper I found.

Well we spent a week with some friends in Sydney last February (went to see George Michael in concert) and boy do I regret not going clothes shopping now!! A friend of mine says her colleagues have advised her to fly out to Melbourne! Might have to plan a winter holiday then, at least we'd be going somewhere new, as we've been to Sydney a few times already.... might do us good to have a change of scenery.... :)

Water Lily Jun 4th 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 8610833)
I buy stuff on trade me LOL

Originally Posted by upandrunning (Post 8610855)
I buy stuff on ebay.com(Usa) and get them posted over, works out that I pay $75 for a apir of Calvin Klein jeans and they are $280 in Smith and Caughey!
Shorecity at Takapuna is quite good as it has an Espirit and a Sussann and Country road, they are usually all right for what you want. They are reasonably priced but don't last very long(only one season) Don't foreget M&S do international delivery now and with $2 to the pound it works out quite good!

Hi girls, thanks for that. Actually as much as I LOVE shopping online, I don't like shopping for clothes that way... I like to try things on and make sure they fit and look nice on me, as so often something that looks nice on a hanger just doesn't quite work when I try it on... maybe I am misshapen? lol :lol:

crap coffee Jun 4th 2010 11:28 pm

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 8612168)
Hi girls, thanks for that. Actually as much as I LOVE shopping online, I don't like shopping for clothes that way... I like to try things on and make sure they fit and look nice on me, as so often something that looks nice on a hanger just doesn't quite work when I try it on... maybe I am misshapen? lol

agree.

When I shopping for clothes (online), its easier for me than most other people because my size is the smallest ever - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXS. I always thought I know pretty much about what sort of style fits me/and I can trust myself/choice by my intuitions (coz I am older now :eek:) but then, some clothes, even if I think its my style, right size, right colour, looks nice etc, when I actually try things on, its sometimes not quite right (often in shape) . I bought a 3/4 sleeve bathrobe (Dressing gown to me :rofl:) last week, and that was one size smaller than I normally wear, however I tried it on anyway, well. It fits me ok. :D ... you see? You would never know. (See the photo below - its already big enough for me. See the Shoulder line? If I go for my size then what would it be like?? :rofl: :ohmy:) and it is very helpful taking photos of yourself, because it sometimes looks quite different than when you see yourself in the mirror. oh, and it was cheap ish too - I paid only $33.68.. :thumbsup: and its the most beautiful bathrobe I've ever seen. In fact, I never had a proper bathrobe in the past coz simply it was impossible to find something fits me right, but this one is just SO NICE. Its for kiddie but it doesn't look like too kiddie after all.... :p

I would never shop clothes online if anything is uncertain. because theres no way to find out what the hell is like. :rofl:

My clothes is mostly Made in Italy Cos they make incredibly small(est) size... but still, Really it depends on cut and designers. Trying on is always safer .. :sneaky:

I like Country Road, because I can trust their quality at least. and no I don't shop at ESpirit. Top Shop used to be good but Not any more these days, H&M is slightly better I guess, but I don't buy my clothes from such places. M&S is just for undies.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 5th 2010 7:08 am

Hi hun, I'm up for a shopping trip mid-week if you would like. Can try Takapuna, Sylvia Park or Newmarket if you like. Text me ;)

nukiwi Jun 5th 2010 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 8612161)
Well we spent a week with some friends in Sydney last February (went to see George Michael in concert) and boy do I regret not going clothes shopping now!! A friend of mine says her colleagues have advised her to fly out to Melbourne! Might have to plan a winter holiday then, at least we'd be going somewhere new, as we've been to Sydney a few times already.... might do us good to have a change of scenery.... :)

I've heard Melbourne is better for shopping......will have to try it out too :thumbsup:

dorrick Jun 5th 2010 12:35 pm

Maybe you need to venture over the bridge, Monday's a holiday and it looks like rotten weather - good for shopping. Newmarket and Sylvia Park are both very good for clothes - both handy to the motorway .Smith and Caughey have good semi-formal though not cheap - their sales are good. They are in Newmarket but their bigger store with much better selection is in Queen St..Sure you can find something in those places.

jmh Jun 5th 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 8612168)
Hi girls, thanks for that. Actually as much as I LOVE shopping online, I don't like shopping for clothes that way... I like to try things on and make sure they fit and look nice on me, as so often something that looks nice on a hanger just doesn't quite work when I try it on... maybe I am misshapen? lol :lol:

True and you can't send it back (I think). However if you are buying brands known in several countries you could try the item on in Smith & Caughys and then order it online. Probably made in the same factory in China anyway!:lol:

Water Lily Jun 5th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 8612802)
Hi hun, I'm up for a shopping trip mid-week if you would like. Can try Takapuna, Sylvia Park or Newmarket if you like. Text me ;)

That sounds good! :) Though calendar a bit packed next week... how about the week after? I'll email you!