Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Re: If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

Expat kiwi, they didn't say they couldn't get it outside of NZ.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 5:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a thought, I would miss my girls weekends in Wellington
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

I would though miss NEW ZEALAND WINES

Jan
Really? Don't they sell it in the UK anymore, along with the wines from all over the world ?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Really? Don't they sell it in the UK anymore, along with the wines from all over the world ?
After just back from the UK, they do stock some NZ wines but not the vast choice we have here!!! And they were expensive.

I love New Zealand wine, but I was enjoying Italian and Californian wine while in the UK! And more reasonably priced

But must admit I like NZ wine more!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

seeing kids climb trees and just sit in them talking...

the stars at night - never seen so many and so clearly. even see the Milky Way.

looking out my living room window out over the hills and seeing sheep, cows and people walking on them, I am aware that I could possibly get that somewhere else but here I didn't go looking for it was just there.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

The view when i drive home from work
The tui outside my window
Pink Sheep!
Great Thai food
The night sky
Sitting in a vine yard listening to music and drinking good wine
The adventure that is New Zealand
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
looking out my living room window out over the hills and seeing sheep, cows and people walking on them,
Why are they walking on the sheep and cows
Old Sep 14th 2012, 8:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Why are they walking on the sheep and cows
yes yes thank you.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:53 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about this- I'm going to sorely miss:
  • The southern hemisphere night skies- nearly six years and I still go weak at the knees at the sheer spectacle
  • The southern hemisphere skies by day- the blue, blue, blue
  • The open spaces and intense beauty of the place- they say you can't eat scenery and of course you can't, but beautiful scenery does make me feel happy
  • The COFFEE- and with that I mean the whole thing that goes with the coffee here; you'll either get it or you won't, but it won't be the same for me in Devon/ Dorset!
  • The population density (more space on roads, beaches, towns etc and everywhere being so CLEAN- if you live near Cambridge, you'll understand)
  • The end-of-the-world feel (encourages have-a-go culture and a strong independent spirit)
  • The cultural pride. We might scoff at the lack of Pakeha history and culture here, but Kiwis are proud of their country and their culture and I think that's kind of nice to be around- better than the doom and gloom thinking prevalent in Britain.
  • The relaxed friendliness of the place- no rush, no hurry (remember- I've only lived in little places in NZ)
  • Being able to own a lovely big house with a beautiful big garden in a lovely wee town
  • The climate- oh God, the climate

What I won't miss:
  • Microwave sun- I have a love-hate thing with the sun's intensity here.
  • The work and expense to keep warm in winter
  • The lack of access to countryside- if I don't want to tramp for hours or pighunt but just would like a footpath
  • The biters in the garden
  • All annual leave being spent visiting or hosting rellies
  • Holiday options restricted to where family lives!
  • The general all-pervading crapness (I half love NZ for this and half hate it but won't miss it)
  • Feeling like life is kind of happening elsewhere because not much happens in this sleepy corner of the world and my family don't live here.
  • Skype and the weird non-eye contact relationships

So much I'll miss really. It's a great wee country; if only- as my littlest says- the world was all one big landmass and the UK was just a day's drive away!

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
What makes you think you can't get all of that outside of NZ?
You can get all of that outside NZ but it's well known that LSBs near towns and cities are (comparably) cheap as chips in NZ. Lots of people come here who in the UK lived in shitty towns & cities in cramped terraces and find they can live on blocks within an hour of where they work- that's a huge lifestyle plus.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 5:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
The adventure that is New Zealand
Oh yes, the adventure- I forgot to say The Adventure. Emigrating sure is an exciting life chapter!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:09 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Nothing.
Oh dear you do have a downer don't you
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Leaving next month, so will let you know .........
The unpopulous nature of the country.
Free parking almost everywhere.
Living in a dreamy neighbourhood impossible for us to afford in the UK.
Incredible views from my garden.
Owning a pool.
Having a back yard that's bush.
Having a big garage.
Kate's career.
So many things for the kids to do locally.
Only having to drive 30 mins for something that would take 5hrs to get to in the UK.
The beach 40mins away.
The irreverence of kiwi TV and especially radio.
Really good, close friends we have made.
Our social life.
The raw beauty of NZ.
Cheap car ins.
No TV licence.
The ease of day to day life.
The general stress free environment we live in (does not include inside my head).
Our local indoor outdoor lido.
The fantastic parks.
Wellington.
Seeing a volcano on a regular basis.
And like BB the fantastic climate!
2 amazing local indians.
1 unreal fish and chip shop.
Trademe..would really miss that!!!
Our local library..it is world class.
Waikanae.
Taupo.
Woodville.
Michael Laws... and even Willy and JT.
Tuis, fantails, bell birds and skinks.
Te Papa.
Mt Bruce DOC centre.
Greytown.

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 17th 2012 at 10:42 am.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Interesting that the things nost people will miss are not food related, but to do with the space and lifestyle. Which are very important to me
To be fair, shy of a few London restaurants which I will do my damnedest to get to when I visit the UK from NZ - there isn't much food wise I'll miss from the UK.

A few Real Ales will be missed, however.

[EDIT] I lie ... I will miss decent sausages. I think I'm going to make sausages when I get there.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Sep 17th 2012 at 12:44 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:35 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
The unpopulous nature of the country.
Free parking almost everywhere.
Living in a dreamy neighbourhood impossible for us to afford in the UK.
Incredible views from my garden.
Owning a pool.
Having a back yard that's bush.
Having a big garage.
Kate's career.
So many things for the kids to do locally.
Only having to drive 30 mins for something that would take 5hrs to get to in the UK.
The beach 40mins away.
The irreverence of kiwi TV and especially radio.
Really good, close friends we have made.
Our social life.
The raw beauty of NZ.
Cheap car ins.
No TV licence.
The ease of day to day life.
The general stress free environment we live in (does not include inside my head).
Our local indoor outdoor lido.
The fantastic parks.
Wellington.
Seeing a volcano on a regular basis.
And like BB the fantastic climate!
2 amazing local indians.
1 unreal fish and chip shop.
Trademe..would really miss that!!!
Our local library..it is world class.
Waikanae.
Taupo.
Woodville.
Michael Laws... and even Willy and JT.
Tuis, fantails, bell birds and skinks.
Te Papa.
Mt Bruce DOC centre.
Greytown.
You blow hot and cold for NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.