Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

me:

Having enough space to have five dogs
Seeing Milky Way so clearly every night
Having excellent Asian food markets everywhere
Driving to work at nearly the speed limit and not really having a rush hour
Our log burner
Plants and veggies growing without a lot of intervention from me
Cheap car insurance that means we can own stuff out of our league in the UK
Living next door to alpacas and miniature horses
Ability to get through to real humans on the phone in the bank who remember our names

from Neil

The trustworthiness of nearly everyone we have ever dealt with
Leaving our house unlocked and not being stressed
Satnavs on view in the parked car and not being stressed
Good Thai food
Lack of coppers on the roads (where we are) and ability to negotiate with them
Log burner

Jan
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:28 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you left NZ - what would you really really miss?

The stuff to do on our doorstep.
The room around the section compared to the 3 bed semi infested estate we'd have to move to.
The friends coming in without knocking.
The cool handshake and hug when you haven't seen people for two days.
The four wheel drive I couldn't afford to run im UK.
The happy wife who doesn't have to work her arse off.
Briscoe's sales.
Steinlager.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

We have left NZ. What I really really miss:

The harbour views on our drive from our house in Khandallah to Wellington CBD where we both worked (commuting time of 10 min max).

The guys in Starbucks knowing us by name and what we drink after serving us twice (same sans the coffee with bank clerks).

Having great nature walks virtually on our doorstep.

My Kiwi employer ignoring the huge time-gaps in my CV and giving me a chance just because I said I can do the job (wouldn't have happened in London in a million years).

Wellington's awesome Central library (where we became card-holder members on the day we arrived, despite not having a permanent address to back us up).

Our first landlord leaving us the keys to his luxurious place in Mt Victoria when he left for a few weeks vacation "just in case we would like to borrow some books".
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Beaches
lack of traffic
Big Ben pies
Decent people (even the idiots are polite compared to chavs)
Friends who actually do things in their spare time
Seeing dolphins every now and again
listening to Tui's while sitting on my deck
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

I miss
living within an hour of some great skiing.
Finishing work then jumping in my kayak and going for a paddle
" " " " on my mountain bike and going for a peddle on a mountain
Green lip live mussels at the supermarket
Getting full muttons or have a beast from the farm
Rain on a corrugated iron roof
Stars at night (milky way)
Moreporks
Winters where trees are still green in the bush
Proper ferns
my vege garden
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Doh...... and my family
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:32 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving next month, so will let you know .........
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:34 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cicadas
Jogging round gorgeous virginia lake in Wanganui
My large section overlooking countryside
Flat whites (sorry but I love the coffee here)
Great Restaurants
The friends I've made
Empty beaches
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
Cicadas
Jogging round gorgeous virginia lake in Wanganui
My large section overlooking countryside
Flat whites (sorry but I love the coffee here)
Great Restaurants
The friends I've made
Empty beaches
I use to love going to Wanganui in the 80s to visit may grandparents. Is the tropical glasshouse still there next to Virginia Lake? Used to love the banana trees.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:53 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phyns
I use to love going to Wanganui in the 80s to visit may grandparents. Is the tropical glasshouse still there next to Virginia Lake? Used to love the banana trees.
Yes its still here! Don't remember seeing banana trees? I'm going to take a look next time I'm jogging to check
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaving in a few months. Can let you know then. I suspect I will miss the friends that I have made here. Luckily many of them are also moving (back) to Europe too.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Amongst a hundred things two stand out.

A huge number of fantastic golf courses for very little money. Where else in the world could you pay as little as $475 for 15 months weekday membership of a top quality championship links course with fabulous ocean views and only 30 minutes from your premier city? That's Murawai.

Fishing - You don't even have to go out of Auckland harbour to catch a good feed of snapper and the occasional kingy - once again, not many major cities where you're just a couple of minutes away from decent fishing.

I suppose I better mention that I'd also miss the grandkids - and the g/f (just in case they ever read this).
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

The good and cheap golf courses available. Paying $10 to have a course to yourself - unheard of
Beaches to yourself
Cheap car insurance
Potholes and bouncy roads
Roads to yourself
The southern alps
The little blue penguins

Just to name a few
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that the things nost people will miss are not food related, but to do with the space and lifestyle. Which are very important to me

I would though miss NEW ZEALAND WINES

Jan
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:54 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
me:

Having enough space to have five dogs
Seeing Milky Way so clearly every night
Having excellent Asian food markets everywhere
Driving to work at nearly the speed limit and not really having a rush hour
Our log burner
Plants and veggies growing without a lot of intervention from me
Cheap car insurance that means we can own stuff out of our league in the UK
Living next door to alpacas and miniature horses
Ability to get through to real humans on the phone in the bank who remember our names

from Neil

The trustworthiness of nearly everyone we have ever dealt with
Leaving our house unlocked and not being stressed
Satnavs on view in the parked car and not being stressed
Good Thai food
Lack of coppers on the roads (where we are) and ability to negotiate with them
Log burner

Jan
What makes you think you can't get all of that outside of NZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.