Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If you knew then, what you know now...

If you knew then, what you know now...

Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you knew then, what you know now...

What would you be telling yourself?

As you were booking the shippers and the flights, perhaps locking the door on your place in the UK, saying your goodbyes to family and friends, driving to the airport; if after all this time in New Zealand, you could talk to the person you were back then, perhaps even to your partners as well...

What would you say?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you knew then, what you know now...

"why didn't you do this years ago??"
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Gone on a holiday instead and not wasted 7 years of my life struggling.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:34 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It will all turn out fine, enjoy the ride! You're making the right decision

I would also say: say 'no' to two years living in the USA and stay in NZ. You'll both regret it...
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Rural isolated life is not for me. Family is important. Take a long holiday, travel around the world, come back to Europe, look for a new job in Europe, appreciate its beauty and opportunities.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:10 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Walking through the airport, with a backpack and a one way ticket to Bangkok. After I sold my house and possessions I am feeling remarkably calm as I wait for my flight.

All of a sudden my future self appears before me!
"Dude, where did you come from?" I exclaim, looking wildly around, but no one else appears to see.
"I have come from your future" the apparition declares, holding out a photo.
"Is that me and my family?"
"Yes"
"Cool, my wife is really hot!"
"Smoking hot bro! And she comes from Finland. And your kids are really cute"
"Awesome, am I still in IT?"
"Nah, you make wine now."
"Get the &^%* out of here!"
"Yup, its true."
"So anything you want to say to me?"
The apparition begins to fade....."2 12 13 24 35 47 Power ball is 8"
"Wait! What comes after 12 again?"
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:11 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
"why didn't you do this years ago??"
+1
The years I wasted sitting under a grey sky in an endless traffic jam...
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

If I knew now what I knew then - I would not have come here.

NZ is not the place for a young couple trying to get on the housing ladder and build a life.

I should have taken 6 months out and gone travelling instead (including a stop over in NZ).
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Purrball

As you were booking the shippers and the flights, perhaps locking the door on your place in the UK, saying your goodbyes to family and friends, driving to the airport; if after all this time in New Zealand, you could talk to the person you were back then, perhaps even to your partners as well...

What would you say?
Interesting .

Let's turn the tail back to you. You're an expat that has been away for 2 decades+. So , it would be interesting to read what you would say to you about NZ ---> UK. After all, you are considering a return to your homeland.

I'd say. Don't sweat the small stuff. Nothing is forever. Anything can be changed again if you really wish it to change. Oh wait! That is what I told myself.

Leaving anywhere and anyone is an emotive time. Few of us are in quite our right minds. I blarted me eyes out leaving my cat in a cattery when we went travelling for 6 months. Given half a chance , at that moment, I'd have chucked it in and brought me cat home.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

I just look at my kids and grandkids. They're happy, drug free and full of self-confidence.
Then I compare that with what I've seen on trips back to the old country where many people appeared to have no time or consideration for others and the youngsters, generally, seemed aimless. The streets were strewn with discarded take-away wrappers. NZ might not be as clean and green as the propaganda would have us believe but it's a darned sight tidier than many places in the UK.

Sure NZ is small and that might lead you to think that it offers less opportunities but oddly, the opposite seems to be the case.
We escaped Thatcher's Britain where we could not have afforded to buy a home. Within eight years of arriving here we owned two homes, both had good jobs and now I run my own business.

No, if I met myself going the other way I'd say "Hang in."

Let's face it. If you can't 'make it' here you're probably not going to make it anywhere. It's an attitude of mind.
Pete
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

In the position that we are in, about to leave for the,"big adventure", I am going to make mental notes and question why I am leaving. I am sure why I am dragging my family around the world now, it will be interesting to see if the answers change in 2 years time. Great thread, thought provoking!!!!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:00 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I would turn to my sister and whisper in her ear so no-one else heard... Don't worry I'll be back next year!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Purrball

What would you say?
Why did you not do I.T as a degree - you could have done this ages ago

Why did you listen to working in immigration advisers. You could have done this yourself

You'll be having a son around this time next year (emigrated Oct 11). Barking or Christchurch???

You may have the opportunity in a few years time to never ever be governed by a British labour government again. Holy smokes, 20 bottles of your most expensive champagne please!!! Where do I sign?????

You're going to be made homeless and experience a large quake in a couple of months time, but will spend christmas in Australia because of it. What??? Survive an earthquake, a trip to Sydney, what an interesting christmas!

Are you making the right decision??? Of course, you only live life once. Whatever the changes, the future holds, I am not living a life of regret. I rejected South Africa but there's no way i'm turning a second opportunity down. Bring it on a life out in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
The apparition begins to fade....."2 12 13 24 35 47 Power ball is 8" "Wait! What comes after 12 again?"
You made me smile
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have told myself anything as I already knew and still know that it's not forever. In life there's plenty of things that have to get worse before they get better. Hopefully, we can stay in the, 'better' phase now.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 13th 2013 at 1:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.