British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   If you knew then, what you know now... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/if-you-knew-then-what-you-know-now-805746/)

Purrball Aug 12th 2013 10:54 am

If you knew then, what you know now...

What would you be telling yourself?

As you were booking the shippers and the flights, perhaps locking the door on your place in the UK, saying your goodbyes to family and friends, driving to the airport; if after all this time in New Zealand, you could talk to the person you were back then, perhaps even to your partners as well...

What would you say?

cappuccino Aug 12th 2013 11:35 am

Re: If you knew then, what you know now...

"why didn't you do this years ago??"

Patrick2007 Aug 12th 2013 4:47 pm

Gone on a holiday instead and not wasted 7 years of my life struggling.

Persephone Aug 12th 2013 7:34 pm

It will all turn out fine, enjoy the ride! You're making the right decision:D

I would also say: say 'no' to two years living in the USA and stay in NZ. You'll both regret it...:(

Assanah Aug 12th 2013 7:46 pm

Rural isolated life is not for me. Family is important. Take a long holiday, travel around the world, come back to Europe, look for a new job in Europe, appreciate its beauty and opportunities.

Catchafire Aug 12th 2013 8:10 pm

Walking through the airport, with a backpack and a one way ticket to Bangkok. After I sold my house and possessions I am feeling remarkably calm as I wait for my flight.

All of a sudden my future self appears before me!
"Dude, where did you come from?" I exclaim, looking wildly around, but no one else appears to see.
"I have come from your future" the apparition declares, holding out a photo.
"Is that me and my family?"
"Yes"
"Cool, my wife is really hot!"
"Smoking hot bro! And she comes from Finland. And your kids are really cute"
"Awesome, am I still in IT?"
"Nah, you make wine now."
"Get the &^%* out of here!"
"Yup, its true."
"So anything you want to say to me?"
The apparition begins to fade....."2 12 13 24 35 47 Power ball is 8"
"Wait! What comes after 12 again?"

Stormer999 Aug 12th 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10846555)
"why didn't you do this years ago??"

+1 :thumbsup:
The years I wasted sitting under a grey sky in an endless traffic jam...;)

davros1984 Aug 12th 2013 9:40 pm

If I knew now what I knew then - I would not have come here.

NZ is not the place for a young couple trying to get on the housing ladder and build a life.

I should have taken 6 months out and gone travelling instead (including a stop over in NZ).

BEVS Aug 12th 2013 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Purrball (Post 10846485)

As you were booking the shippers and the flights, perhaps locking the door on your place in the UK, saying your goodbyes to family and friends, driving to the airport; if after all this time in New Zealand, you could talk to the person you were back then, perhaps even to your partners as well...

What would you say?

Interesting .

Let's turn the tail back to you. You're an expat that has been away for 2 decades+. So , it would be interesting to read what you would say to you about NZ ---> UK. After all, you are considering a return to your homeland.

I'd say. Don't sweat the small stuff. Nothing is forever. Anything can be changed again if you really wish it to change. Oh wait! That is what I told myself.

Leaving anywhere and anyone is an emotive time. Few of us are in quite our right minds. I blarted me eyes out leaving my cat in a cattery when we went travelling for 6 months. Given half a chance , at that moment, I'd have chucked it in and brought me cat home.:lol:

kiwigeordie Aug 12th 2013 10:19 pm

I just look at my kids and grandkids. They're happy, drug free and full of self-confidence.
Then I compare that with what I've seen on trips back to the old country where many people appeared to have no time or consideration for others and the youngsters, generally, seemed aimless. The streets were strewn with discarded take-away wrappers. NZ might not be as clean and green as the propaganda would have us believe but it's a darned sight tidier than many places in the UK.

Sure NZ is small and that might lead you to think that it offers less opportunities but oddly, the opposite seems to be the case.
We escaped Thatcher's Britain where we could not have afforded to buy a home. Within eight years of arriving here we owned two homes, both had good jobs and now I run my own business.

No, if I met myself going the other way I'd say "Hang in."

Let's face it. If you can't 'make it' here you're probably not going to make it anywhere. It's an attitude of mind.
Pete

qssue Aug 12th 2013 10:21 pm

In the position that we are in, about to leave for the,"big adventure", I am going to make mental notes and question why I am leaving. I am sure why I am dragging my family around the world now, it will be interesting to see if the answers change in 2 years time. Great thread, thought provoking!!!!

pippalonghorn Aug 12th 2013 11:00 pm

I would turn to my sister and whisper in her ear so no-one else heard... Don't worry I'll be back next year!

Tom1983 Aug 12th 2013 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Purrball (Post 10846485)

What would you say?

Why did you not do I.T as a degree - you could have done this ages ago

Why did you listen to working in immigration advisers. You could have done this yourself

You'll be having a son around this time next year (emigrated Oct 11). Barking or Christchurch???

You may have the opportunity in a few years time to never ever be governed by a British labour government again. Holy smokes, 20 bottles of your most expensive champagne please!!! Where do I sign?????

You're going to be made homeless and experience a large quake in a couple of months time, but will spend christmas in Australia because of it. What??? Survive an earthquake, a trip to Sydney, what an interesting christmas!

Are you making the right decision??? Of course, you only live life once. Whatever the changes, the future holds, I am not living a life of regret. I rejected South Africa but there's no way i'm turning a second opportunity down. Bring it on a life out in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Snap Shot Aug 13th 2013 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10847482)
The apparition begins to fade....."2 12 13 24 35 47 Power ball is 8" "Wait! What comes after 12 again?"

You made me smile :D

Snap Shot Aug 13th 2013 12:07 am

I wouldn't have told myself anything as I already knew and still know that it's not forever. In life there's plenty of things that have to get worse before they get better. Hopefully, we can stay in the, 'better' phase now.