Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If You Could, Would You Go Back Home?

If You Could, Would You Go Back Home?

Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If You Could, Would You Go Back Home?

Originally Posted by Maz1
I have read on other forums about people wanting to go back to the UK to live. So come on now, hands on hearts, if you could - would you?
Hand on heart...yes i would go back...but i wouldn't sell my house here in OZ because i might not like what i see in UK..so then i would come back
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

I agree with "the life is what you make it" statement that someone made earlier, but I am afraid that in the UK the more you try to make a decent law abiding life for you and yours ie;

wanting to send your child to a decent disciplined school where the kids don't have the upper hand,

earning a decent days pay without being ripped off by water, gas and electric - not to mention council tax

wheelie bins being spied on to see how much waste we're using as soon the more you thow away (if you work that is) the more you'll just have to pay!!

driving at just over the 30 mile per hour limit as your'e slowing down as you reach the "30" sign but on it are just over the limit at 33 mph only to discover "sorry we're going to fine you as there's no excuse for your extremely dangerous driving" even though you are and have always been law abiding because we know you will pay the fine

Sorry you who pay your taxes and national insurance can't get leagal aid for anything as there's too many "others" who have a criminal record who may not be guilty who need that aid. If you want to fight your speeding ticket fine then you must pay for your legal representation

How dare you ask for a grammar school education in the UK, you don't have any right- our first priority is to the the poor who have never worked in their life and their children, most who refuse to attend school - would take priority over yours - if you want that type of education then send and pay for your kids to attend private school! We pay to the needy NOT the likes of you working or middle classes..you only put into the pot not take out of it!

The list goes on...............Sorry there I go again...

Last edited by ranbysue; Oct 26th 2006 at 8:06 am.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

I have read on other forums about people wanting to go back to the UK to live. So come on now, hands on hearts, if you could - would you?
There are some great views on this subject. KEEP THEM COMING!!! Everyone has their own opinion, (which they are entitled to), but I am coming over to NZ to see for myself. I have to agree with a lot of people in saying that this once proud country is going down the pan. I have read that to get into NZ it has taken some people upto 10 - 12 months, can anyone lighten me? If you wanted to come into the UK to live from anywhere else in the world how long would it take. We always seem to be accepting someone (Immigrants) surely they have to go through what we all are, stringent test, blood test, medicals etc! Sorry losing the plot now. Just ignore me.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Erm, have you ever actually been to NZ ranbysue ?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Erm, have you ever actually been to NZ ranbysue ?
What difference does it make if Randysue has or hasn't been to New Zealand. She is describing the UK and doing a damned fine job of it too. The working person in the UK is penalised left right and centre. Look around the council estates and sift out the social scroungers. They all have nice cars, satellite television and the newest appliances so what incentive do they have to work. I know of a family with 5 kids who would be worse off if either of the adults worked so you tell me if that is fair cause I sure as hell don't think it is.
Surely you are not trying to tell me that NZ is the same as the Uk in these respects ?

Sorry if this seems like a rant directed at you as I can assure you it isn't. I am so fed up with this country (UK) and its pathetic government and policies that I get annoyed just thinking about it. I would sacrifice just about everything to get away from it and start a new life where I am in control of my life to a degree rather some bureaucratic arse making pathetic policies to justify his position and offencive salary that we pay for through our taxes.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:39 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stevie1963] I know of a family with 5 kids who would be worse off if either of the adults worked so you tell me if that is fair cause I sure as hell don't think it is.
Surely you are not trying to tell me that NZ is the same as the Uk in these respects ?
QUOTE]

This also annoys me about the UK, but I have found that if I don't read the trashy Daily Mailesque papers then I can't honestly say this affects me personally on a daily basis so I try to count my (poor!) blessings! I think it is a bit different in NZ as I am led to believe there is much more true poverty to be seen than in the UK. Shame either way really.

Also, since some migrants basically buy a better life in NZ than they could afford in the UK (through the exchange rate multiplier largely financed through UK property equity), daily comparisons of NZ & UK are not always like-for-like comparisons. Eg someone living in inner city UK (Leeds/Man/Bradford etc) moving to Auckland's North Shore for example may understandably find NZ life more enjoyable, because they have effectively moved to a much better and more affluent neighbourhood. Nothing necessarily to do with the NZ element, although great that this is the expat outcome for those involved. I think it could help with expectations, culture shock etc to realise this.

Off to finish the tea now.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
Originally Posted by Stevie1963
I know of a family with 5 kids who would be worse off if either of the adults worked so you tell me if that is fair cause I sure as hell don't think it is.
QUOTE]

This also annoys me about the UK, but I have found that if I don't read the trashy Daily Mailesque papers then I can't honestly say this affects me personally on a daily basis so I try to count my (poor!) blessings! I think it is a bit different in NZ as I am led to believe there is much more true poverty to be seen than in the UK. Shame either way really.

Also, since some migrants basically buy a better life in NZ than they could afford in the UK (through the exchange rate multiplier largely financed through UK property equity), daily comparisons of NZ & UK are not always like-for-like comparisons. Eg someone living in inner city UK (Leeds/Man/Bradford etc) moving to Auckland's North Shore for example may understandably find NZ life more enjoyable, because they have effectively moved to a much better and more affluent neighbourhood. Nothing necessarily to do with the NZ element, although great that this is the expat outcome for those involved. I think it could help with expectations, culture shock etc to realise this.

Off to finish the tea now.
I have to admit, you do have a point. My Wife and I haven't been married very long and we both inherited large debts from our previous marriages which we have only just managed to clear so we don't have a house to sell. We wont be on such a strong foot hold as the migrant who has sold their house and released the equity but I am still hoping that we can build ourselves a better life in the long run though than we could ever have expected to in the UK. Only time will tell though so hopefully I will be able to post a new thread in a couple of years time and tell you all how well we are doing. Keeping everything crossed
P.S How did you know what news paper my Wifes reads !

Last edited by Stevie1963; Oct 26th 2006 at 5:23 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:25 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stevie1963]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

I have to admit,
Well good luck to you both in your new life!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Sorry Brussel Sprout, no I haven't been to NZ but four of our friends have gone to live there and wouldn't come back for the reasons I stated and more.

However, if you are suggesting that the NZ government policies are the same as those here in the UK, towards the honest law abiding willing to go to work citizen, then maybe I ought to think again about coming to live there as I wouldn't wish to walk straight into the same type of Country as the one I'd just left.

Please let me know their policies.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Sorry Brussel Sprout, no I haven't been to NZ but four of our friends have gone to live there and wouldn't come back for the reasons I stated and more.

However, if you are suggesting that the NZ government policies are the same as those here in the UK, towards the honest law abiding willing to go to work citizen, then maybe I ought to think again about coming to live there as I wouldn't wish to walk straight into the same type of Country as the one I'd just left.

Please let me know their policies.

If you want to make your own mind up www.nzherald.co.nz is a goor guage of what people are saying IMO. I don't live in NZ so please correct me those of you who do.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:34 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
I know of a family with 5 kids who would be worse off if either of the adults worked so you tell me if that is fair cause I sure as hell don't think it is.
QUOTE]
Just to add more fuel to the fire, one family has just been moved into two new houses 6 doors down from us, and they look at us like something they just scrpped off their shoes, and thats just the kids. Oh and we live in a "decent" partod town. (Maidstone, kent, UK)

splent vented- feel better now.

Adie
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I loved some parts of the UK that I lived in. I miss my family and some of the things I used to do. I liked living near Europe and visited some lovely cities in beautiful countries. I liked british pubs, castles, different accents, BBC TV and radio, ferries, countryside and more.

I have been back twice since living here (4 years) but move back? No way!
NZ isn't a crime free utopia but I'm sure everyone is aware of that when they emmigrate!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

What difference does it make if Randysue has or hasn't been to New Zealand. She is describing the UK and doing a damned fine job of it too. The working person in the UK is penalised left right and centre. Look around the council estates and sift out the social scroungers. They all have nice cars, satellite television and the newest appliances so what incentive do they have to work. I know of a family with 5 kids who would be worse off if either of the adults worked so you tell me if that is fair cause I sure as hell don't think it is.

Sorry if this seems like a rant directed at you as I can assure you it isn't. I am so fed up with this country (UK) and its pathetic government and policies that I get annoyed just thinking about it. I would sacrifice just about everything to get away from it and start a new life where I am in control of my life to a degree rather some bureaucratic arse making pathetic policies to justify his position and offencive salary that we pay for through our taxes.
/I
love the fact I'm not allowed to join in the rant against the UK, coz I live in Cornwall. To be honest, I've been known to say all of the above. But I think it's better to turn a negative into a positive...Think of all the reasons you want to go there, for you and yours personally, and either do it or don't. I hate where I live and I hate our lives here. On a plus side, I love my job ... it's a case of weighing it all up?!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
If you want to make your own mind up www.nzherald.co.nz is a goor guage of what people are saying IMO. I don't live in NZ so please correct me those of you who do.
Thanks for sharing the link to the Herald news paper. Certainly lets you know what is going on over there and good for looking at jobs to suit the Wife !
That will annoy her, thought she would get a few weeks off to settle in. Not if I have my way
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Well I will be sampling for myself soon.We have just had word that as soon as we send OH letter off stating his employment offer we have got the go ahead. So NZ here we come (well soon anyway)

Last edited by Maz1; Oct 27th 2006 at 8:44 pm. Reason: spelling