British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   If You Could, Would You Go Back Home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/if-you-could-would-you-go-back-home-403114/)

Maz1 Oct 19th 2006 3:08 pm

If You Could, Would You Go Back Home?

I have read on other forums about people wanting to go back to the UK to live. So come on now, hands on hearts, if you could - would you? :confused:

Maz Oct 19th 2006 4:29 pm

Re: If You Could, Would You Go Back Home?

Originally Posted by Maz1
I have read on other forums about people wanting to go back to the UK to live. So come on now, hands on hearts, if you could - would you? :confused:

Am in the US at the moment, and no, I wouldn't go back to the UK. Too overcrowded, too expensive, too much yob culture. It's not "home" and neither's the US.

Maz1 Oct 19th 2006 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
Am in the US at the moment, and no, I wouldn't go back to the UK. Too overcrowded, too expensive, too much yob culture. It's not "home" and neither's the US.

The threads I've read are mainly people from OZ who are wanting to go back to the UK. I am just in the process of going to NZ. Yes I will miss things but if we dont give it a go we will be thinking 'What if' for the rest of our lives.

pangor Oct 19th 2006 5:32 pm

perhaps I have travelled too much when younger, but to me "home"is where I live with my (immediate ) family right now.

And at the moment I feel very much at home here, and to answer your question - nope, wouldn't go back.

peter

Maz1 Oct 19th 2006 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by pangor
perhaps I have travelled too much when younger, but to me "home"is where I live with my (immediate ) family right now.

And at the moment I feel very much at home here, and to answer your question - nope, wouldn't go back.

peter

My feelings exactly. I am very close to my mam, sisters (5 of them) and other family members. But now I have to do thing for MY family (2 kids). My OH has been offered a good job with goods perks. He has a great job here but at a cost. If we are lucky we might see him 4 days out of the month and thats with him working in the UK , but the travelling is too far for him to be at home every night or every weekend for that matter. But in NZ he will be home at a sociable hour every day. He has missed out so much on the kids growing up this gives him a chance to make up for it - and hey if we dont like it - theres nothing stopping us from coming back to the UK.

Gill and Rob Oct 19th 2006 7:14 pm

My feelings exactly. I am very close to my mam, sisters (5 of them) and other family members. But now I have to do thing for MY family (2 kids). My OH has been offered a good job with goods perks. He has a great job here but at a cost. If we are lucky we might see him 4 days out of the month and thats with him working in the UK , but the travelling is too far for him to be at home every night or every weekend for that matter. But in NZ he will be home at a sociable hour every day. He has missed out so much on the kids growing up this gives him a chance to make up for it - and hey if we dont like it - theres nothing stopping us from coming back to the UK.

I am pretty sure that we would never go back to UK to live, if we felt an urge to go back to Europe it would probably be somwhere like Cyprus or Spain to retire.

Rob

kwprwn Oct 19th 2006 7:21 pm

WEll am fairly a newbie to this emigrating lark :D only been here just under 7 months, but currently quite happy where I am and no major issues

If I wanted to go home, then it would not only be a major issue, it would probably involve having to get divorced (and no plans to do that, much as he drives me mad) as this is his home

I miss certain things about the uk, but nothing to make me go running back, we certainly seem to be better of here, hubby never gone overdrawn here and yet was always overdrawn there, so that has to be something

pangor Oct 19th 2006 7:51 pm

Yep, travelling - that is one of the reasons we emmigrated as well. I did not have to stay away but used to leave early in the morning to drive to edinburgh and not be back till 7 or 8 at night. Not bad by southern standards I know but still not for us. Now I can cycle twenty minutes to work and be home at tea time and we all sit together ( most days - we do have teenagers ! )

I think it has brought us closer together as a family which offsets being away from our mum and dad, sister brother etc.

Family life seems much encouraged here.

peter

( haven't quite managed the not overdrawing bit yet though - we are probably worse off financially at the moment, but that is another thread !)

sky Oct 19th 2006 8:02 pm

Not in a million years!
May consider moving somewhere warmer in NZ when we're retired :)

SarahB Oct 19th 2006 8:05 pm

Nope... to be honest I wouldnt.

I would really like to go back for a visit and see everybody but that isnt possible at the moment.... but thats all. I think if I went back I'd be so homesick for New Zealand.

jueinnz Oct 19th 2006 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB
Nope... to be honest I wouldnt.

I would really like to go back for a visit and see everybody but that isnt possible at the moment.... but thats all. I think if I went back I'd be so homesick for New Zealand.

Nope me neither,
...but not sure how much of that is because I have convinced myself to like it here because to go back would be to finiancialy hard.

Ian & Sharon Oct 19th 2006 11:44 pm

i would not go back, but if I could turn the clock back I would not have come here, if you know what I mean !
I would have stayed in the UK, but we didn't so we'll move to Oz in January and see how that pan's out :cool:

carolf Oct 19th 2006 11:46 pm

We plan on going back in a few years but only for a vacation. Hubby has no intention or desire to move back to the UK forever.

Lenny the Lion Oct 20th 2006 1:32 am

I am home :p
Go back to the UK to live :scared: NO THANKS
Only to visit family and friends :beer:

mumomonty Oct 20th 2006 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
i would not go back, but if I could turn the clock back I would not have come here, if you know what I mean !
I would have stayed in the UK, but we didn't so we'll move to Oz in January and see how that pan's out :cool:

You sound like me. Much water under the bridge but if I knew honestly what I was in for (I'm not very adaptable but thought I was!) then I would have stayed in the UK. Good luck in Australia.