Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

Old May 24th 2011, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

Originally Posted by Water Lily
We have just celebrated 2.5 years in NZ, more specifically in the Hibiscus Coast, and although it is beautiful up here, we are starting to feel a bit "stuck" (guess it doesn't help that we live almost at the end of the peninsula) and are considering a change of scenery.

We are both 41 this year and work for home, so all we really need is a good internet connection (or as good as it gets in NZ ), and we have no children to worry about, hence we don't need to be near schools etc.

We both enjoy kayaking so would want to be near water - sea, rivers, lakes etc. Would also want to start cycling to get fitter, but one of us is not very confident on a bike... and it's very hilly around here!! Somewhere a bit flatter would be nice... All in all we'd like somewhere nice and quiet, small enough to have a nice community feel to it with low crime rates, but big enough to have some sort of social life!

So... if you could work and live anywhere, and your salary didn't change according to location, where would you choose to live? If you already live there tell us all about it too!
Sorry you two are feeling 'stuck'

Have to say we like living here & having visited other areas of NZ, we haven't found anywhere else we'd rather be. Russell & BOI is very pretty but far too quiet for us. Taupo is lovely but I like being near the sea & too cold in Winter for me. Wellington, I found it really oppressive & OH said he would rather live in Melbourne or Sydney than Welly. ChCh was nice to visit but too quiet for me.

If money wasn't an object, then I'd live here most of the time but head back to the Northern hemisphere from June to August.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:44 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Marlborough - Nice and flat (in parts), great climate, lots of affordable rural sections within 20mins of Blenheim/Renwick/Havelock. Broadband, the Sounds (kayaking with dolphins), wineries, skiing, Christchurch and Nelson close by.

If you are loaded the Nelson area would be a great choice as well.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd live right where I already do! Lucky!!!
Old May 25th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Ooopppss.... just thought, Waiheke is quite hilly so you'd need to be pretty fit to cycle. A moped would be worth considering.
Whats a daily return ferry to Auckland cost from Waiheke?
Old May 25th 2011, 5:34 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, lots of great replies, interesting to see so many different responses! Thanks everyone for your input, it's great to see so many ideas/suggestions

Maybe I should clarify that when I mentioned money being no object it didn't mean we are loaded - I wish!!! Quite the opposite... we spent all our moeny bakcpacking! (no regrets though). Just meant that moving wouldn't really impact on our income as the main provider (him indoors) works for a UK company and his salary remains the same regardless of where we live.

I fear that we have been really spoilt and have become rather demanding We want it all! lol. Agree that the Bay of Islands is beautiful but really wouldn't see ourselves living there, far too quiet particularly in the winter and far too remote. We'd like to be a couple of hours from one of the main 3 airports really... did consider Warkworth as it's so close to so many beautiful places on the coast. But not sure we want to move further north.

The north of the South Island is also very tempting for the natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities it offers, but again a bit isolated perhaps? Totally love the SI (hey, we got married there! ) but I already spent 10 years being cold in the UK , so would rather stay somewhere warmer... (sorry Sue! Chch does hold a special place in my heart but far too cold for little me ). Guess windy Welly wouldn't be for me either then?

So yes, as bo-jangles rightly pointed out, I think we are indeed limited for choice as it'll be difficult to find a place that ticks all the boxes. Having said that, we visited Cambridge at the weekend and it does tick many of them! About the right size, nice and flat, lovely countryside around it, big lake for kayaking, 1 hour drive to either coast, 2 hrs to the airport, and close enough to many destinations for weekends away... we are very tempted!!

Cheaper to rent too which would allow us to save some money to either buy a place of our own or go travelling again

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming... our mind is not made up yet. Think we'll give it another 3-4 months here to see if a couple of projects take off, if they don't we might plan a move in the Spring...
Old May 25th 2011, 6:38 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That's an interesting question! Um, I think it might be ... Oh blimey, if work, money and kids weren't considerations I don't think I'd stay in NZ
Same here, I'd be on a plane Blighty bound

But if within NZ, I'd be thinking about somewhere down the Dunedin Peninsular, or beyond Port Chalmers, on Portside of the harbour. Or Karitane, Moeraki..... one of those smaller, off the main road, fishing settlement type places. Ohhhhhh, I did kind of fall in love with Mapua a few years back just not keen on the road over the hills in and out of Nelson!
Old May 25th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Wellington, I found it really oppressive & OH said he would rather live in Melbourne or Sydney than Welly.
I havent been to Melbourne, but I currently live in Sydney and Wellington is a much nicer wee city than Sydney is.

Sydney, don't get me wrong I like it, but its a bit of a shithole.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

And if money or whatever wasnt an issue for me, I would live in Whitianga....gorgeous, love it up there
Old May 25th 2011, 1:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Whats a daily return ferry to Auckland cost from Waiheke?
Here you go: http://www.fullers.co.nz/tickets-far...eke-island.php

There is a car/passenger ferry from Half Moon Bay too, but the bus connections are not so good.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:47 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much anywhere in NZ!
Old May 26th 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Easy The Mount for 9 months a year and then 3 months in Italy. Just need a Lotto win for the 3 month part
Old May 26th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Here you go: http://www.fullers.co.nz/tickets-far...eke-island.php

There is a car/passenger ferry from Half Moon Bay too, but the bus connections are not so good.
Monthly pass doesnt look too bad.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:03 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Water Lily
We have just celebrated 2.5 years in NZ, more specifically in the Hibiscus Coast, and although it is beautiful up here, we are starting to feel a bit "stuck" (guess it doesn't help that we live almost at the end of the peninsula) and are considering a change of scenery.

We are both 41 this year and work for home, so all we really need is a good internet connection (or as good as it gets in NZ ), and we have no children to worry about, hence we don't need to be near schools etc.

We both enjoy kayaking so would want to be near water - sea, rivers, lakes etc. Would also want to start cycling to get fitter, but one of us is not very confident on a bike... and it's very hilly around here!! Somewhere a bit flatter would be nice... All in all we'd like somewhere nice and quiet, small enough to have a nice community feel to it with low crime rates, but big enough to have some sort of social life!

So... if you could work and live anywhere, and your salary didn't change according to location, where would you choose to live? If you already live there tell us all about it too!
Simple.......Wanaka.
But each to their own.