Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

Old May 24th 2011, 3:44 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

We have just celebrated 2.5 years in NZ, more specifically in the Hibiscus Coast, and although it is beautiful up here, we are starting to feel a bit "stuck" (guess it doesn't help that we live almost at the end of the peninsula) and are considering a change of scenery.

We are both 41 this year and work for home, so all we really need is a good internet connection (or as good as it gets in NZ ), and we have no children to worry about, hence we don't need to be near schools etc.

We both enjoy kayaking so would want to be near water - sea, rivers, lakes etc. Would also want to start cycling to get fitter, but one of us is not very confident on a bike... and it's very hilly around here!! Somewhere a bit flatter would be nice... All in all we'd like somewhere nice and quiet, small enough to have a nice community feel to it with low crime rates, but big enough to have some sort of social life!

So... if you could work and live anywhere, and your salary didn't change according to location, where would you choose to live? If you already live there tell us all about it too!
Old May 24th 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all
Default Re: If work/money wasn't an object... where in NZ would you live?

I think I would live in the Bay of Islands, or more specifically Russell. It's beautiful up there and Russell feels like a wonderful small community but you have Paihia and Kerikeri on your doorstep for shopping, restaurants and entertainment.
I've not spent much time on the SI (it's being done bit-by-bit!) but I would guess there are some pretty amazing places to live down there.
As far as NI goes though for me it would be the Bay of Islands
Old May 24th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by faye_h View Post
I think I would live in the Bay of Islands, or more specifically Russell. It's beautiful up there and Russell feels like a wonderful small community but you have Paihia and Kerikeri on your doorstep for shopping, restaurants and entertainment.
I've not spent much time on the SI (it's being done bit-by-bit!) but I would guess there are some pretty amazing places to live down there.
As far as NI goes though for me it would be the Bay of Islands
Exactly what I was going to say. Mild, mild winters, incredible views, Auck not too far away. Was last there in 1990..awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 24th 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was going to say the same thing too! Went up there for the first time recently and loved the area, especially Russell where we stayed ... and it wasn't even the warmest time to visit! Can't wait to go back in the summer and do it all again.

We need to get out there and visit some more places and see it all with our own eyes, there is so much I would like to see on both North and South Island ... all in good time though We're here for the long run.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think you're options are limited, if you're feeling a 'bit stuck' being at the end of Whanapaeroa then goodness me how would you feel living somewhere really remote?

I would love to live around Kerikeri in theory, in my head, who wouldn't actually? But the harsher realities long term I would go stir crazy with the choice of of one supermarket in Kerikeri or the alternative Pak n Save miles away in the other direction at Kaitaia, or indeed the thought of Whangarei being the centre of my world for where everything is at.

My main concerns would be being so far away from the main centres that any kind of travel becomes ever more difficult.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
Honestly I think you're options are limited, if you're feeling a 'bit stuck' being at the end of Whanapaeroa then goodness me how would you feel living somewhere really remote?
I was gonna say.
You dont know what stuck is until you try the rest of NZ
Old May 24th 2011, 8:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting question! Um, I think it might be ... Oh blimey, if work, money and kids weren't considerations I don't think I'd stay in NZ

If we were staying, had no kids and no ties to any particular location it wouldn't be the bay of islands for me- remote all winter and heaving with tourists in summer.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post

I would love to live around Kerikeri in theory, in my head, who wouldn't actually? But the harsher realities long term I would go stir crazy with the choice of of one supermarket in Kerikeri or the alternative Pak n Save miles away in the other direction at Kaitaia, or indeed the thought of Whangarei being the centre of my world for where everything is at.

My main concerns would be being so far away from the main centres that any kind of travel becomes ever more difficult.
I'm the same, Kerikeri is gorgeous but the lack of choice would get to me after a while.

If money was genuinely no object, I wonder how many of us would live in New Zealand all of the time. Surely having money means you can come and go as you please, if only to flit off north to the tropics or northern hemisphere to avoid the winters.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington of course.....who said Russell? It's so tiny....and so remote and it rained solidly for 3 days when I went there.
Only thing wrong with Wellington on your specification is the hilliness, as although centre is flat, in general it is not that good for cycling. River trails up the Hutt Valley though.

Wellington has everything you need culturally and restaurant wise without the crime downsides of Auckland but it is on a major faultline so that also counts against it. Choose your suburb and that can be like a village within a small city.
It is remote but not compared to other places especially as the airport is in the town centre, ditto the ferry to South Island. Good for travel if money no object.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Kinloch, Taupo!

Could not believe how 'right' I felt there when I first stumbled across the place back in 2000.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:17 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Water Lily View Post
We are both 41 this year and work for home, so all we really need is a good internet connection (or as good as it gets in NZ ), and we have no children to worry about, hence we don't need to be near schools etc.
Stuff Kinloch, come to Taupo proper!
We're either side of your ages. We board/ski all winter. Boat/fish/swim all summer.
We walk to the pubs, have good friends and social life, affordable houses, and towns still growing so need for a back section!
Wellybloodywouldnt!
Old May 24th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Taupo would be one of the few inland places I'd consider, though does get cool in winter.
The Coromandel would be great, Whitianga, Hahei, Cooks Beach difficult to beat for sea kayaking that's for sure, as good as anywhere in the country. A few hours from Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga.

Otherwise Nelson at the top of the south island would definitely appeal.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Christchurch!
Old May 24th 2011, 10:17 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great ideas here. I would consider Waiheke Island. Laid back lifestyle but still easy to get to Auckland when you need a bit of civilisation!! LOL. Wide range of property prices too. Cheap and cheerful batches, mid range houses and expensive mansions with fantastic views.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:31 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Ooopppss.... just thought, Waiheke is quite hilly so you'd need to be pretty fit to cycle. A moped would be worth considering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.