Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

As if one adventure isn't enough!

As if one adventure isn't enough!

Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:00 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default As if one adventure isn't enough!

If all goes to plan I expect to touch down in New Zealand at the beginning of January. Both my wife and I have jobs at Wellington Hospital.

Now I have an old school chum in Auckland who has insisted that I stay at his for a week to get over the jet lag, see the sites and generally reminisce, ok there will be alcohol involved but we go way back.

Now here is the problem, whilst talking on the phone I had the brilliant idea of buying a car in Auckland and having one of them road trip adventures down to Welly! obviously stopping off en route.
Is this JUST STUPID
I will have to have a few days to settle in at Welly before work, am I taking to much on?

Discuss
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:17 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As if one adventure isn't enough!

Do it! See some places! There's loads to do en-route
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
If all goes to plan I expect to touch down in New Zealand at the beginning of January. Both my wife and I have jobs at Wellington Hospital.

Now I have an old school chum in Auckland who has insisted that I stay at his for a week to get over the jet lag, see the sites and generally reminisce, ok there will be alcohol involved but we go way back.

Now here is the problem, whilst talking on the phone I had the brilliant idea of buying a car in Auckland and having one of them road trip adventures down to Welly! obviously stopping off en route.
Is this JUST STUPID
I will have to have a few days to settle in at Welly before work, am I taking to much on?

Discuss

Get out the classic NZ movie "Good-Bye Pork Pie"........ yes you can do it.

Gill
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:34 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Get out the classic NZ movie "Good-Bye Pork Pie"........ yes you can do it.

Gill

what a brill movie that is as well !!!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:36 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ned

Is this JUST STUPID

Discuss

Have you a place to stay in Wellington, if not plenty of motels to stay in.
So do it.

Cars maybe a bit more expensive to buy in Auckland though
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:20 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Have you a place to stay in Wellington, if not plenty of motels to stay in.
So do it.

Cars maybe a bit more expensive to buy in Auckland though
But there's more choice!
Goodby Pork Pie's a laugh. Seeing Wellington with half as many buildings was cool.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ned

Is this JUST STUPID

Discuss
Do it, cheap car from backpackers car mart on just off K road. They are not all wrecks, well ours is but it still goes!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it Ned. Once you start work you won't have as much time to look around. Enjoy your road trip.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Totally go for it! We flew into ChCh and drove to Auckland, a great way to get a feel for the country if you haven't been here before
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:45 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely do it! Or if you don't fancy doing that or flying down, then get tickets for the Overlander train. 12 hours from Auckland to Welly with a 1-hr stop near Ruapehu.

I love Goodbye Pork-Pie, bought it a couple of weeks ago and have only watched it twice...
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Defo do it BUT be careful of your driving speed - I have collected 2 speeding tickets and I have only been here for 5 weeks so far!

Bought cheap car at Turner's auction in Auckland - great fun and nice car too.

Have fun
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:06 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ned

Is this JUST STUPID

Discuss
Just do it !

Jus like that

Can recommend a good watch, the Billy Connelly World Tour of New Zealand.

Good luck with all your preperations
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:31 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Defo do it.

The drive from AKL to Welly can be done in 7.5 hours, without breaking speed limits ( well thats my current record none stop in a rented truck )

However there are some great places to stop (Like Rotorua if you want a little detour of the direct route) and some amazing scenery.

Cars prices do seem a little steeper in AKL, but don't let on that you've only just arrived in NZ and bargin very hard and you should do OK.

Good luck with the trip and see you soon

Adie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:44 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

If you are looking to buy

www.trademe.co.nz

WARNING, this is addictive
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned

Is this JUST STUPID

Discuss
Just Do It! You'll hate yourself if you don't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.