British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   If not New Zealand then where? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/if-not-new-zealand-then-where-407053/)

Paladin Nov 9th 2006 3:59 pm

Re: If not New Zealand then where?

Originally Posted by islandmom
sorry Jack - thread totally hijacked but maybe my subtle plan of gettin more people out here might be working....

I'm off to feed my kids - they're pityfully looking at me!

Thx for all the yummy info!!!

:)

Dave

pixi-dust Nov 9th 2006 5:44 pm

We thought about the highlands of Scotland or one of the Islands - but we couldnt afford it!

Jack The Lad Nov 9th 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
We thought about the highlands of Scotland or one of the Islands - but we couldnt afford it!

I thought the Scottish Islands were cheap or did you want to buy one?

pixi-dust Nov 9th 2006 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I thought the Scottish Islands were cheap or did you want to buy one?

no!! Houses are massively expensive! We wanted to go to Islay and on the rare occasion a house comes up for sale it goes for silly money. Its a victim of the holiday home thing :( its stunningly beautiful.

Jack The Lad Nov 9th 2006 6:02 pm

no!! Houses are massively expensive! We wanted to go to Islay and on the rare occasion a house comes up for sale it goes for silly money. Its a victim of the holiday home thing :( its stunningly beautiful.

I seriously did think it would be cheap. Dont know why I just did :)

pixi-dust Nov 9th 2006 6:07 pm

I'm sure some are, but not what we looked at - maybe some are cheaper if there arent many jobs around? I dunno!
But when we looked into it it was a real no go. We used to rent a house from a friend who lived on Islay and go there pretty much every summer.

lardyl Nov 9th 2006 6:43 pm

how about Mull?
me former boss built a bungalow there for reasonable money - bit too out of the way for me but whatever floats your boat.......prices are going up mind --- all that tele-working I suppose :cool:

Maz Nov 9th 2006 7:11 pm

A Canadian friend of mine lived on Grand Cayman for 7 years. She left voluntarily when she got engaged and she and her new fiance started looking for jobs in the US. She worked for the Westin resort and had a whale of a time. :) She left right before the big hurricane struck...

Jack The Lad Nov 9th 2006 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
She left right before the big hurricane struck...

I dont think you should try and blame your friend for the Hurricane. Surely it wasnt her fault :p

:D

Maz Nov 9th 2006 7:17 pm

I dont think you should try and blame your friend for the Hurricane. Surely it wasnt her fault :p

:D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...wahaharoll.gif

Jack The Lad Nov 9th 2006 8:19 pm

Love the reply thingy. I want one :)

Maz Nov 9th 2006 8:23 pm

Love the reply thingy. I want one :)

I go to some other forums where they have a few more than 14 emotes... think more along the lines of a few hundred, and no limit on how many you can put in a post. ;)

lardyl Nov 9th 2006 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
I go to some other forums where they have a few more than 14 emotes... think more along the lines of a few hundred, and no limit on how many you can put in a post. ;)

yep we've asked the <<<<<<< MODS >>>>>>>> for more before and our request was met with.......

stony silence

Jack The Lad Nov 9th 2006 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep we've asked the <<<<<<< MODS >>>>>>>> for more before and our request was met with.......

stony silence

Well get a petition going then :D

Im going to PM the Admin. Right now :)

Back soon with an answer ;)

Am Loolah Nov 9th 2006 8:27 pm

So if you are too old, too ugly or just plain undesirable for New Zealand then where else would/have you considered?

Possibly anywhere that's not Cornwall? :D

We can get in to NZ coz sensibly hooked up with Kiwi - don't speak any other languages well enough, and nowhere else would have us?!