Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage?

If cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage?

Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:14 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default If cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage?

If the cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage then? Or at least some way near it. Obviously lacal is a consideration etc. But if things cost so much, where are the taxes going then? NZ is trying to get people back (NZ expats too) but its the fact the wages are SO bad and the cost of living TOO high that spoils things. Basically unless you get a high wage forget NZ. Just buy a book to look at the pictures. If you run out of money in NZ you will never see any sceanery as you will not be able to afford the petrol or the car. Seen how much a snowboard costs there, cheap in £s but not when you earn Kiwi $s. As far as i am concerned the wages should be in line with the cost of living.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: If cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage?

Originally Posted by Lenmil
If the cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage then? Or at least some way near it. Obviously lacal is a consideration etc. But if things cost so much, where are the taxes going then? NZ is trying to get people back (NZ expats too) but its the fact the wages are SO bad and the cost of living TOO high that spoils things. Basically unless you get a high wage forget NZ. Just buy a book to look at the pictures. If you run out of money in NZ you will never see any sceanery as you will not be able to afford the petrol or the car. Seen how much a snowboard costs there, cheap in £s but not when you earn Kiwi $s. As far as i am concerned the wages should be in line with the cost of living.
NZ has a smaller population so there isn't as much tax revenue as the UK.
Some things cost less, some things cost more.
You can't compare dollars to pounds as you won't be earning pounds.
Mark
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:07 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If cost of goods in NZ is the same as UK why not a copmparible wage?

Originally Posted by Markk
NZ has a smaller population so there isn't as much tax revenue as the UK.
Some things cost less, some things cost more.
You can't compare dollars to pounds as you won't be earning pounds.
Mark
On top of the lack of Tax Dollars nearly everything is imported NZD $ is weak therefore imports are expensive......combined with most local produce being exported to Japan etc means that the locals have to pay top wack for that also.............

........unfortunately its a global economy
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy a book to look at the pictures. If you run out of money in NZ you will never see any sceanery a.
I think you (and many other people) are missing the point if you think of NZ as "scenery". If you come here to do the same things with a prettier backdrop, you're probably going to be disappointed. You'll like NZ if you windsurf off the beaches, walk in the hills, sail in the harbours, go fishing in the rivers etc etc etc - these are the things that are better and for the most part vastly cheaper than in many other places of the world including the UK. I agree, if you just want to see the scenery, buy some DVDs and a plasma widescreen and sit in your comfy UK house and watch them.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:39 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
On top of the lack of Tax Dollars nearly everything is imported NZD $ is weak therefore imports are expensive......combined with most local produce being exported to Japan etc means that the locals have to pay top wack for that also.............

........unfortunately its a global economy

what is the "most local produce exported to Japan"?
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:41 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deedee
what is the "most local produce exported to Japan"?
I said Japan etc....We tried to Eat Lamb, Fish and Crayfish etc all very expensive due to high prices paid by importing countries....
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:42 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think you (and many other people) are missing the point if you think of NZ as "scenery". If you come here to do the same things with a prettier backdrop, you're probably going to be disappointed. You'll like NZ if you windsurf off the beaches, walk in the hills, sail in the harbours, go fishing in the rivers etc etc etc - these are the things that are better and for the most part vastly cheaper than in many other places of the world including the UK. I agree, if you just want to see the scenery, buy some DVDs and a plasma widescreen and sit in your comfy UK house and watch them.
Great post
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:33 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

On average, the cost of things in NZ is cheaper than the UK!

Obviously, average wages are less too, but I think that is both a function of the high UK wages that you are used to, as well as NZ wages struggling to keep up.
The reason? NZ economy has been through some tough times since UK joined the EU 30 odd years ago, and its probably only now that productivity is being pulled back towards where it should be (compared to other OECD countries). Its become a bit more normal over the last couple of years for above CPI wage increases to be given, and given a fair wind, I would expect NZ wage earners to get a better and better deal over the next 5 years or so. The nurses recent 20% being a case in point.

As far as i am concerned the wages should be in line with the cost of living.
yes - it would be nice to live in one of the richest countries in the world like the UK, rather than just an average OECD economy. But then its also nice to live in NZ for what it has to offer.

I don't mean to be unkind, but there seem to be quite a few peeps trying to get to NZ, and perhaps some take their eye off the ball and undersell themselves when it comes to agreeing starting wages?? I know its not easy, but IMO it is a bl**dy sight more important for most people to get right than trivial stuff like arranging PR, or the movers, or getting the pets through immigration.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:44 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by southerner

Obviously, average wages are less too, but I think that is both a function of the high UK wages that you are used to, as well as NZ wages struggling to keep up.
The reason? NZ economy has been through some tough times since UK joined the EU 30 odd years ago, and its probably only now that productivity is being pulled back towards where it should be (compared to other OECD countries). Its become a bit more normal over the last couple of years for above CPI wage increases to be given, and given a fair wind, I would expect NZ wage earners to get a better and better deal over the next 5 years or so. The nurses recent 20% being a case in point.

yes - it would be nice to live in one of the richest countries in the world like the UK, rather than just an average OECD economy. But then its also nice to live in NZ for what it has to offer.

I don't mean to be unkind, but there seem to be quite a few peeps trying to get to NZ, and perhaps some take their eye off the ball and undersell themselves when it comes to agreeing starting wages?? I know its not easy, but IMO it is a bl**dy sight more important for most people to get right than trivial stuff like arranging PR, or the movers, or getting the pets through immigration.
Southerner... you sexy babe, you gotta admit that it's harder for us normal folk to survive there eh?
kisss xx (You ignored my PM and an v. sad bout that)..
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:03 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs70
Southerner... you sexy babe, you gotta admit that it's harder for us normal folk to survive there eh?
kisss xx (You ignored my PM and an v. sad bout that)..
**** Debs, what time is this to be back from the pub?
OK, I'll go through my mail then...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:35 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

F**k Debs, what time is this to be back from the pub?
OK, I'll go through my mail then...

Waited half an hour and nothing.....

ah well, guess it's bed time eh?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Debs70
Waited half an hour and nothing.....

ah well, guess it's bed time eh?
Typical ******* kiwi.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:59 am
Nice Tats

How is the nurses 20% being funded....it can only be through taxes ... which will impact even more on your cost of living.......NZ needs to be careful that it doesent put the cart before the horse as inflation will be your problem also.