Reload this Page >

If Britain abolished the monarchy

If Britain abolished the monarchy

Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:21 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If Britain abolished the monarchy

If Britain abolished the monarchy what would be the constitutional reaction of countries such as NZ, Australia, Canada etc? Of course, this is highly hypothetical scenario as the likeliness of Britain abolishing the monarchy is almost zero but one must always consider even the unlikeliest scenarios.

Would some sort of a republic be set in place? I have always wondered about countries such as NZ, Australia, Canada etc that does it really not bother them to be at the whim of another country when their constitutional arrangements are concerned.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Britain abolished the monarchy

The British and New Zealand monarchies are legally and constitutionally separate.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

countries would simply become republics as many who were once part
of the british empire have already done.
You dont need to abolish the monarchy for that to happen.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR View Post
If Britain abolished the monarchy what would be the constitutional reaction of countries such as NZ, Australia, Canada etc? Of course, this is highly hypothetical scenario as the likeliness of Britain abolishing the monarchy is almost zero but one must always consider even the unlikeliest scenarios.

Would some sort of a republic be set in place? I have always wondered about countries such as NZ, Australia, Canada etc that does it really not bother them to be at the whim of another country when their constitutional arrangements are concerned.
What a lovely thought. Bunch of hangers on and tax bludgers, the lot of them. Why the Queen gets a single red cent of our money (I pay some UK tax) from the civil list is beyond me. Not interested in what the allegedly do for the country or society. The whole thing is a huge scam. The Queen is way above her station and even his Toniness has noted she is 'haughty' in his memoirs. She does come over as ever so superior IMO. By contrast look at King Juan Carlos del Espana, a right regular hombre. Vive la revolution!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:57 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Althugh the power is (sadly) very rarely used, remenber that the monarch is the last say in decisions that the likes of President Blair make.
And for him to say Lizzie is a bit haughty seems a bit rich coming from a bloke so out of touch with the people of UK.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve View Post
Althugh the power is (sadly) very rarely used, remenber that the monarch is the last say in decisions that the likes of President Blair make.
And for him to say Lizzie is a bit haughty seems a bit rich coming from a bloke so out of touch with the people of UK.
I don't believe you are correct...she has very limited powers...and if that weren't the case, I'd be first in the queue to abolish them but as it is...I tolerate them (not fussed either way constitutional monarchy v republic)....don't you remember the fairy stories about the Good King who was kind to his people and the Bad King who wasn't. At least politicians are elected and you can chuck them out.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cromwell got rid of them and had to bring them back as the country
needed a monarch. he set himself up as lord high protector but he was
nothing more than a jumped up farmer with ideas beyond his station.
He wrongly thought that everyone was as stongly opposed to them as
he was, he recruited an army from the ignorant and uneducated, people
he could easily win round with false promises and brides of power for those
with influance.
Great Britain would not the country it is had it not been for kings and queens
it has had. Its easy to dismiss them, usually on the grounds that they cost
to much. I think the majority would vote for them to stay.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure kiwis are that bothered one way or the other. I think they don't mind a bit of royality brushing up against them, but perhaps not actually telling them what to do.

What I find the more interesting question is why the Aussies get more agitated about it than the kiwis.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:22 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
...even his Toniness has noted she is 'haughty' in his memoirs...
Hmm, pot and kettle anyone? and if you want to debate who has used their public position to generate personal income then TB comes in pretty poorly, his wife too
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:54 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
I don't believe you are correct...she has very limited powers...
http://www.centreforcitizenship.org/monarchy/mon2.html
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The other problem is that the tribes signed the Treaty with the Crown, unless I'm mistaken, not a republican NZ government. We'd have to have the support of Maori to change the constitution and get rid of the monarchy.

Not saying I want to, just that I don't think it's a straight forward thing. I personally don't have a problem with the current set-up...it's not broken, it's mostly working, who cares? Living so close to the US and seeing their political system in action, I'm not super excited about the alternatives.

I have a hard time imagining Charles as King though. He and his other half came to Canada recently on a visit, Canadians yawned from coast to coast. I do wonder what will happen when he ascends the throne.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:50 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Britain abolishes the monarchy. Buckingham Palace is given diplomatic status as part of New Zealand territory. UK campaign to rid Britain of New Zealand colonial occupational enclave. Boycott of sheep and Anchor butter.

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
I don't believe you are correct...she has very limited powers...
Does she have less power in NZ than In Oz, when the Queens representative booted out Gough Whitlam

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 13th 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:15 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR View Post
If Britain abolished the monarchy [...] but one must always consider even the unlikeliest scenarios.
Nah, one mustn't.

Though sometimes it's fun

WP