British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   If ad says degree needed are they flexible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/if-ad-says-degree-needed-they-flexible-826765/)

WhatToDo82 Feb 25th 2014 3:28 pm

If ad says degree needed are they flexible?

My OH works in IT, he's a software tester. All the job adverts I've seen, both for NZ and UK, state that a Computer Science degree is essential for the applicant.

How particular are the NZ employers likely to be over that?

He has 12 months + experience working in the field and can get a field specific qualification (not a degree) pretty easily. Is that likely to be enough, or are employers likely to just bypass his application due to the lack of degree?

He doesn't need a job for a visa as he'll come over under my Skilled Migrant Visa, but he would like to continue working in the field and find a job over there at some point after we move.

TIA

MrsFychan Feb 25th 2014 4:02 pm

Re: If ad says degree needed are they flexible?

He can all but apply and see what happens. It does seem to be more if you will fit into the team over here than skill sets, well in our experience but then MrF has only ever really worked for small firms.

westie1234 Feb 25th 2014 4:29 pm

http://thewireless.co.nz/themes/know...a-degree-in-it

Josh Comrie, the Managing Director of high profile New Zealand IT recruiters Potentia, reckons out of New Zealand’s 62,000 technologists about half hold a tertiary qualification.

WhatToDo82 Feb 25th 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks :-) I will let him know and maybe approach the employment agency in that article :-)

Tom1983 Feb 25th 2014 9:38 pm

How much experience has he got????

I've never known a company ever in the UK, Australia, USA and New Zealand to turn me down because of no computing degree. I don't possess one but that never stopped them from scheduling interviews.

What skills does he have? Companies will look towards testers with automation skills, programming knowledge, ITSQB foundation/advanced certificates and knowledge of testing methods. What background does he have?

The problem he'll find is his lack of experience. A tester with less than 3 years experience will find they'd only be able to get a junior job level standard. I had 4 years experience in software testing before I moved over here and possessed SQL skills which met the requirments from my company.
Also, is he on a decent salary? He'll do well to get a job with his experience paying around the $60,000 mark. He'd be looking at a job around the $55000-$58,000 mark and then hopefully get pay increases after a year or two

Another thing to note is IT jobs and where they are. Wellington and Auckland are probably the best cities for IT work, with competitive salaries. You'd be lucky to find a job in Christchurch for example as a software tester that pays over $70,000. I stupidly followed the advice from careers.govt.nz and applied for a job with the council requesting $70,000 (due to my level of experience and background). I was deemed unaffordable as they were looking for people that would accept a salary around $62,000. $70,000 wages are more for test leads which I'm not.

I know my company will not touch your OH as he doesn't have 4 years experience. I recommend to get in touch with Kelly IT services as they may be able to help.

WhatToDo82 Feb 25th 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks Tom. It's the ITSQB foundation certificate we looked at that he could get. He's not on a huge salary where he is, was very lucky to get the job to be honest, as he had no prior experience or qualifications (turns out he went to school with the MD). So big bucks wouldn't be essential. Plus we can manage just on my wage so his would be extra anyway. Originally we were thinking 2.5 years for the move so he would have had over 3 years experience in the field. Auckland is doable, if I'm working in Hamilton, but obviously nearer would be better. I will let him know what you've said and contact the recruitment agency you mention.