British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   IELTS question for New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ielts-question-new-zealand-899897/)

hollynic Jul 21st 2017 10:03 am

IELTS question for New Zealand

Hey 👋🏻

So my exam is all booked for next Saturday. I'm confused now though because I've booked the IELTS 'general' exam which I'm sure I read on the NZ gov website as the correct one. I've since seen conflicting posts and information saying it needs to be the IELTS 'academic' exam. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Surely as long as I get above 6.5 either is fine?

Regards

MrsFychan Jul 21st 2017 10:21 am

Re: IELTS question for New Zealand

all i can see on immigration website is General or Academic. Not sure how you would know which one is the correct one :unsure:

inkedneonurse Jul 21st 2017 2:20 pm

Hi there

For immigration the normal one will do, for things such as nursing registration it needs to be the academic one, which immigration will accept as proof (hence them both being on the site)

hollynic Jul 21st 2017 4:50 pm

So I'm using this IELTS to apply to the NZ nursing council 🙈 So basically I'm doing the wrong one ? Xx

inkedneonurse Jul 21st 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12299475)
So I'm using this IELTS to apply to the NZ nursing council 🙈 So basically I'm doing the wrong one ? Xx

Bugger! Yes mate you need to do the academic one

escapedtonz Jul 21st 2017 10:22 pm

Yes it definitely MUST be the academic exam for nursing registration and you must pass at a minimum 7.0 overall. The General exam is sufficient for Immigration at a minimum overall pass of 6.5.
My wife is a nurse and she did the General exam initially and was knocked back by the Nursing Council of NZ so had to pay again and do the Academic exam.

hollynic Jul 25th 2017 9:34 pm

Ok so they've kindly switched my exam from the general to the academic this Saturday. Fingers crossed I pass. Feeling nervous

inkedneonurse Jul 26th 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12303105)
Ok so they've kindly switched my exam from the general to the academic this Saturday. Fingers crossed I pass. Feeling nervous

Have you done the practice ones, gives you a feel for what the exam is like, the hardest part for me was the written portion

hollynic Jul 26th 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12303269)
Have you done the practice ones, gives you a feel for what the exam is like, the hardest part for me was the written portion

I've printed all the practice papers off ready. I'm on a late shift today and tomorrow so Friday is my only day to sit and go through them. I agree at first glance the written papers look the hardest. Doesn't help that I'm dyslexic. Hoping my spelling isn't too bad on the day. Ha

inkedneonurse Jul 26th 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12303279)
I've printed all the practice papers off ready. I'm on a late shift today and tomorrow so Friday is my only day to sit and go through them. I agree at first glance the written papers look the hardest. Doesn't help that I'm dyslexic. Hoping my spelling isn't too bad on the day. Ha

Good luck with it and don't forget to take your passport lol

hollynic Jul 29th 2017 6:26 pm

Well what a day that was! IELTS ACADEMIC DONE ✅ Left the house at 7:30am and just got back at 7pm and the Leeds exam centre was only a 30min drive away. Long day but that's a box ticked on the NZ 'to do' list. 13 day wait for the results online now. I'll keep you posted x

inkedneonurse Jul 29th 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12305495)
Well what a day that was! IELTS ACADEMIC DONE ✅ Left the house at 7:30am and just got back at 7pm and the Leeds exam centre was only a 30min drive away. Long day but that's a box ticked on the NZ 'to do' list. 13 day wait for the results online now. I'll keep you posted x

Were you the only one trying to leave the country, I was when I did mine :hysterical:

hollynic Jul 29th 2017 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12305501)
Were you the only one trying to leave the country, I was when I did mine :hysterical:

There looked to be around 3 of us......out of 100 🙈🤣

hollynic Aug 11th 2017 6:48 am

Results are in:

Reading: 9
Listening: 9
Speaking: 9
Writing: 6.5

😭😭😭😭

So I needed 7777 Not massively surprised I scored low on the writing as I am dyslexic and spelling is an issue for me but I am surprised I scored lower then a 7.

My next plan is to wait for the postal results and hope I score higher on the writing. If not I will ask for it to be marked again. Failing that does anyone know if you can resist JUST the writing? Don't want to sit the whole test again.

Disappointed 😔
Regards

Ria_ Aug 11th 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by hollynic (Post 12314240)
So I needed 7777 Not massively surprised I scored low on the writing as I am dyslexic and spelling is an issue for me but I am surprised I scored lower then a 7.

One day we will all have auto-correct programmed into us and spelling/grammar won't be an issue anymore! :thumbup: